where am I going wrong?

Options
So far, I've been very happy with my weight loss--for the most part. But for the last 3 weeks I haven't been losing any weight--in fact I've gained. Before the weight gain I was down to about 154 lbs. Now it seems like every day I fluctuate between 156-158. I thought it was maybe because I was about to start my period, but I've started that and the weight is staying the same. I haven't been going over my calories. I work out for about 1 hour a day and I incorporate weights most of these days. I wear a heart rate monitor so I know that I'm not overestimating the calories burned. What gives? Has my body got used to the calories I'm eating? Should I eat fewer calories? Should I eat more calories? I'm on the guided plan for 1 lb a week and i'm consuming 1310 calories. I'm afraid to take them even lower but I find it very frustrating to go three weeks and only manage to gain weight. Any thoughts as to what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks

Replies

• holly333
    holly333 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    So far, I've been very happy with my weight loss--for the most part. But for the last 3 weeks I haven't been losing any weight--in fact I've gained. Before the weight gain I was down to about 154 lbs. Now it seems like every day I fluctuate between 156-158. I thought it was maybe because I was about to start my period, but I've started that and the weight is staying the same. I haven't been going over my calories. I work out for about 1 hour a day and I incorporate weights most of these days. I wear a heart rate monitor so I know that I'm not overestimating the calories burned. What gives? Has my body got used to the calories I'm eating? Should I eat fewer calories? Should I eat more calories? I'm on the guided plan for 1 lb a week and i'm consuming 1310 calories. I'm afraid to take them even lower but I find it very frustrating to go three weeks and only manage to gain weight. Any thoughts as to what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks
  • dogwdots
    dogwdots Posts: 146
    Options
    You might be exchanging fat for muscle. You should see if you are losing inches and if your clothes are fitting better.
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure you're doing anything wrong. It happens to everyone. Just keep going and it will come off again.

You could always try boosting your cardio workouts. Make them harder - either through interval or cross-training.
  • MindyLouSmith
    MindyLouSmith Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I agree with the fat to muscle....have you tried measuring yourself? Good luck, you are doing better than me! :tongue:
  • holly333
    holly333 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas...I'm certainly not going to stop but it can just be so frustrating. I take it none of you think I should cut more calories then?
  • catlover
    catlover Posts: 389
    Options
    I experienced a similar situation and decided to change WHAT I was eating, not how much. I carefully evaluated the kinds of food items I was eating and opted to go to only one fruit item and two grian/starch items a day--replacing them with a little more protein and a lot more vegetables. Not only do I feel better, but the scale dropped 5 pounds last week and I didn't work out nearly as hard as I have been in the past. I don't personally advocate any kind of low-carb, low-cal, or low-fat food plan, but the change worked for me. The funny thing is, the switch did not cause a deficit in the carb category as carbs are in everything--fruit, dairy, vegetables and I acutally came closer to my goals by eating more vegetables and fewer breads, pastas, potatoes, etc.