How much America Spends on weight loss

Options
Diet programs
You've seen Queen Latifah and even Jason Alexander show off their slimmed-down physiques in ads for Jenny Craig's prepackaged meals and diet programs. Now, in a Weight Watchers spot, Jessica Simpson is doing it, too. She says, "I'm not a supermodel. I'm just Jessica, trying to eat real food in the real world" -- with a big profit motive for being a spokeswoman.

Americans spent more than $1.1 billion in 2011 on such programs, as well as on meal-replacement shakes and bars, according to Marketdata Enterprises. While many people see such programs through, others quit before they reach their goals – and some stay on them for years.

$1,251: 12-week program (includes $75 membership fee, $98 per week for food) -- Jenny Craig
$129: 12 weeks of passes and access to online tools -- Weight Watchers
$689 to $950: 12-week program (includes all meals and dessert) -- Nutrisystem

Doesn't it seem easier to just buy healthy foods?

Replies

• elprincipito
    elprincipito Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    i just bought 10lbs of whey protein = $97 :grumble: :grumble: :grumble:
    I'm gaining weight though they should encompass bodybuilder types too who gain weight, they probably spend more on supplements, unless they are sponsored...
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,540 Member
    Options
    America spends BILLIONS a year and only about 10% of the people who started a program and succeeded, have kept the weight off.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • seehawkmomma
    Options
    It just surprises me how much people spend gaining weight on food....and how much MORE they are willing to spend to lose it.
  • seehawkmomma
    Options
    Diet medications
    Two new prescription medications were recently approved by the Food and Drug Administration. One is Qsymia, which contains an anti-seizure drug with an appetite suppressant to make you feel full after eating. The other is Lorcaserin (to be sold as Belviq), which fools your brain into thinking you are full. Qsymia, now available, may be a success -- an October Bloomberg News story says health insurers pay for Qsymia prescriptions 30% of the time.

Such products have a spotty history, however. One weight reduction drug, fenfluramine (known as fen-phen), was taken off the market in 1997 because it damaged heart valves. In 2011, sales of prescription diet pills came to $546 million, says Marketdata Enterprises.

$184: Monthly wholesale price for 15 milligrams/92 milligrams of Qsymia capsules for 30 days