Lifting heavy things and putting them back down...

Options
is actually really fun for me! But I do have a question about it.

A little background:

I have an 8 month old injury that affects the joint where my hip meets my spine, accompanied by spasming muscles that pull the natural curve out of my spine. I work with a trainer on a weekly basis who is awesome and helps tremendously. We stretch, have worked up to heavy lifting, and work to stabilize my core muscles. While I feel better with each passing week, the injury is taking way long to heal so I just started seeing a PT.

My PT told me to skip heavy weights and that I can achieve the same results with lighter weights and more reps. She greatly discouraged me from ever doing any sort of heavy lifting. She said there is no point in putting stress on your body like that. I've always been told to lift as heavy as safely possible, which is what I've been doing with my trainer for the past 6 months. As a result of training this way, I've slimmed down so much very quickly. I'm loving the way my new body looks now, and find weight training is a really good to take my aggression out after a long day at work. Only a few moves cause pain in my back (so I avoid them), while most really help me to feel good both mentally and physically.

Is my PT telling me this to save my bad back from further strain, or are there actually advantages to lifting nothing but light weights? Personally, I just find that to be a boring workout... :ohwell:

Replies

• nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    My Physio told me 'women's bodies aren't designed to lift heavy weights' and that I shouldn't be lifting more than 3kg.

I have kept seeing my Trainer, and stopped seeing my physio.
  • lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    If you're not feeling any sort of pain I don't see why you shouldn't be doing heavy weight. You said you're avoiding movement that aggravates the injury, so I wouldn't be too worried. Find a different PT.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    My Physio told me 'women's bodies aren't designed to lift heavy weights' and that I shouldn't be lifting more than 3kg.

WTF?! Glad to see that you stopped seeing your physio!

To answer the OP, I would've said that if you can lift a heavy weight safely, and without pain, then it shouldn't be a problem. None of us are trained to tell you what you should be doing, and light weights may well be helpful now, but I would say there's got to be some area for progression still. What happens when the injury goes, what did the PT say about that?
  • LoveMyLife_NYC
    LoveMyLife_NYC Posts: 230 Member
    Options

I like the way you think!
  • Nerdybreisawesome
    Nerdybreisawesome Posts: 359 Member
    Options

Wow you should show that physio all the women around her that can lift heavy. Was he or she from the 1950's and used a time machine to come to our time and talk to you?
  • GingerRunner
    Options

Wow you should show that physio all the women around her that can lift heavy. Was he or she from the 1950's and used a time machine to come to our time and talk to you?

BAHAHA! *so* hilarious and so true. I agree with above poster that none of us here are of property authority (i'm betting) to really be able to tell you what you should and shouldn't do. But I gotta say, it sounds like a bunch of hullaballoo when I hear "lighter weights more reps." That's the misogynistic claptrap of yonderyear. Pardon the vulgarity, but eff that! I would seek second and third opinions... and, oh, GO YOU!!!
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options

Even in the 50's babies weighed more than 3kgs.

This morning I did 100kgs x 6 x 2 on squats. I would have never known I was capable of that had I listened to that physio.
  • LoveMyLife_NYC
    Options
    I always like to know whether I'm being safe or doing something that will hurt my back. But from what it looks like so far, it seems my trainer and I will have a good laugh about this next time I see him. Thanks!:drinker:
  • LoveMyLife_NYC
    Options
    But really, WHY are heavier weights recommended over lighter ones with more reps? Aside from personal preference, what are the advantages and disadvantages to the two schools of thought?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,574 Member
    Options
    Many PT's look for the "safest" way to prevent injury. Can't really blame them for some of their approaches, but unfortunately many are trained that way.
    The body is amazing. Many times people (especially females) underestimate how strong they can actually be. I snicker when I see a female carrying in a toddler that weighs 20lbs. then tells me she only curls 5lbs. weights for fear of getting bulky.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • GingerRunner
    Options
    And let us not forget...if we all ate correctly, walked long distances half the time, ran short powerful bursts of distances 25% of the time, lifted heavy stuff 25% of the time.... "physio's" would be outta work.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    But really, WHY are heavier weights recommended over lighter ones with more reps? Aside from personal preference, what are the advantages and disadvantages to the two schools of thought?

Advantages:

- You get stronger.
    - You see better results in muscle (maintaining muscle while losing weight, and gaining muscle if you're in a surplus)
    - Increase in bone density, great as you get older (especially for women!)

I think those are the main ones.

Disadvantages:

Honestly I can't think of any true faults with lifting heavy, as long as you haven't got serious injuries that are made worse though it. Many women have the fear of bulking up (they may see that as a disadvantage therefore) but it's completely a myth. You need lots and lots of food (a calorie surplus) and specific training for years to get bulky, and usually male hormones too!!
    The only other "disadvantage" I can think of is that [some] men find it unattractive for a lady to be stronger than them, and/or have a little more muscle than the average female. Yet, the way I see it is that everybody is different and has personal preferences. No matter what you look like there will always be someone who finds you not that attractive, that's life. So I don't even think about that, I do it for me. Plus, there are plenty out there that love it, or are indifferent!