My Fitness Journey

Options
My current transformation story began about six years ago. In early 2006, I was overweight at a whopping 230 pounds and I smoked a pack of cigarettes a day. Almost every night after work, I would come home, drink 3 or 4 beers and eat half a bag of Tostitos. During the summer of 2006, my mother came to visit us in Pennsylvania. When we went to the pool, she saw how big I had become and made a comment about how fat I was. No one had ever called me fat. To be honest, that comment stung badly and soon after, I made a promise to myself to make a change in my health. No one would call me fat ever again.

About that time, I was finishing an 18 month school to get my senior reactor operator’s license. Over those 18 months, I sat on my butt in a classroom and ate (and smoked, too). By the time the class was coming to an end, my weight topped out at 230 pounds and I was in the worst shape of my life.

Immediately upon completing my class, I set a goal for myself...get in shape and get my weight down to 175 pounds. As a reward, I would sign up for and get my scuba diving certification. Scuba diving is something that I always wanted to do even when I was in the Navy. I started working out 4-5 days a week, which included cardio and weights. I did meet my goal of 175 pounds one week before I started my scuba diving certification. However, one thing that I did not do was to include supplements in my diet, such as whey protein. This is a lesson that I learned and I now include several supplements in my diet, including Shakeology.

As I was dropping weight down to my goal of 175 pounds, the one thing that I had failed to do was quit smoking. I tried the gums for a while, but it never worked. Then on December 30th, 2007, I went cold turkey with the cigarettes and have not touched one since.

Once I met my goal weight of 175 pounds, I really became consumed with fitness. I started running and wanted to participate in triathlons. However, when I would run, I started having a stabbing pain in my left hip. This pain kept getting worse and got to the point where it would wake me up in the middle of the night. I finally broke down and went to the doctor. After some poking, prodding and x-rays, I found out that my left hip would need to be replaced in a couple of years. That put an end to the running and any thoughts of becoming a triathlete.

Finally, in November of 2009, I had my left hip replaced. It was one of the best things I had ever done for my health, second only to quitting smoking. Suddenly, all that pain was gone! However, I made a promise to myself that I would never allow my hip replacement be an excuse for not working out or being active. I am more active now than I ever have been in my entire life.
Besides working out 6 days a week, I am an avid scuba diver. I love scuba diving the shipwrecks off the coast of North Carolina and sharing some bottom time with all the sharks that inhabit these waters. I have recently started indoor rock climbing with my son. Rock climbing is a real challenge for those of us who are not flexible. And last, but not least, when I am not at work, in the gym, scuba diving, or rock climbing, you will find me riding my Harley Davidson Fatboy!

As I move forward with my fitness goals, I am going to start out with Insanity: Asylum! The reason I chose it first was so that I could work on my agility. Some of the workouts look like the kind of exercises I used to do when I played football. Not to mention, it looks really intense!

I look forward to meeting many of you and helping others! If there is anything I can help with, please don’t hesitate to ask!

http://beachbodycoach.com/FrankieWomack

http://myshakeology.com/FrankieWomack

Replies

• Gr8ChangesAhead
    Gr8ChangesAhead Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Your journey was awesome good for you !
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    good for you dude

but be warned.....

people will focus their hate on the beachbody nonsense

you would be better off not mentioning BB or shakeology

just sayin
  • PXMike
    PXMike Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Outstanding story partner, I hope you don't mind me calling you that but I think once you read my story, you'll find quie a few similarities. YOU are truly a man to hold in high regard. Keep up the great work. If I can do at least partly as well as you have done, I"l be very happy. A footnote: One thing I find amuzing is our rewards to one another. They're quie opposites! Yours was to scuba dive, Mine was to sky dive. As I earlier explained, I have a deathly fear of a swimming pool yet have no problem jumping out of a perfectly good airplne. I've always been attracted to heights! Go figure!

Have a good one Buddy, Mike
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    good for you dude

but be warned.....

people will focus their hate on the beachbody nonsense

you would be better off not mentioning BB or shakeology

just sayin

I agree. It comes across as just another coach trying to make money I'm afraid- which distracts from the great work you've done.
  • bionicdiver
    bionicdiver Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Still looking to take my story a little be farther.
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    When I was fat, my mother never called me fat. But after I got in shape, she told me I was too skinny!