Therapist help?

Options
People always talk about being an emotional eater, but I never saw that in myself. I was more of the opposit actually When I got extremly angry or happy I wanted to exercise movement made me feel better. With saddness I am a cryer I shut myself off but I do not eat. The only time I find that I really turn to food is when I am bored or feeling negative about myself. Now like every other adult in this country I have issues that need to be dealt with, but I am wondering if dealing is going to help me to shed the pounds. Is a Therapist going to help?

Replies

• rayneenie
    rayneenie Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    People always talk about being an emotional eater, but I never saw that in myself. I was more of the opposit actually When I got extremly angry or happy I wanted to exercise movement made me feel better. With saddness I am a cryer I shut myself off but I do not eat. The only time I find that I really turn to food is when I am bored or feeling negative about myself. Now like every other adult in this country I have issues that need to be dealt with, but I am wondering if dealing is going to help me to shed the pounds. Is a Therapist going to help?
  • Mireille
    Mireille Posts: 5,134 Member
    Options
    For me, I ate when I was upset, sad, bored or angry. I bought a book called Shrink Yourself and it has really helped me. Plus I starting writting in a journal daily and I write down everything. Sometimes I write all bad stuff that happened during the day and sometimes it's all possitive. I'm finding the healthier I'm getting, the less negative I am.
    Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • pam0206
    pam0206 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm. Maybe you could talk to a general practioner and he/she could make a recommendation on your question. I admittedly don't know the answer, but I'm a firm believer that there's no harm in asking a question. GL on your journey. We're all on a similar path to an extent.:flowerforyou:
  • nightangelstars
    nightangelstars Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    A therapist may help if you ask him/her to help with it. A therapist is going to help you with whatever you want help with, so it's really up to you to make it an issue in the therapy room if that's what you want. I would also say that if you do, any decent therapist should be able to help you with that. (I am kinda the same way, by the by, when I'm under big emotional stress I don't eat enough and I exercise). Of course I'm not quite a therapist yet myself, but I'm working on it.

Remember, deciding to go is the first step and it's a big one. You can do it!
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,786 Member
    Options
    Before spending money on a therapist, try "Mindless Eating" by Wansink - you can probably get it at the library or go here:
    http://www.mindlesseating.org/

I do recommend the book though. Eating while bored or feeling down is still emotional eating. I would say 95% of people do some sort of emotional eating.
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    You're starting in the right place, by recognizing what makes you eat.

Free therapy--(benefit from my experience :wink: ). Keep an emotional food journal. I still do it here from time to time under "notes" in the food diary section.

Note how you're feeling when you eat, especially when you overeat, or feel the urge to. Writing it down will allow you to notice patterns you don't even realize are there.

Second, ask yourself whenever you eat (outside of normal meals, paying special attention to "cravings") "What am I really hungry for?" This is a big question, and one that frankly led to a lot of uncomfortable feelings on my part (like crying instead of eating sometimes.)

The "mindless eating" book is really, really good.

If you have the means, or your insurance covers it, therapy might help, too.:flowerforyou:
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options
    Raynel,
    Welcome.
    You have come to an amazing place. We are all here for you. I totally agree with viviakay.
    Remember that this is a lifestyle change. It will have it's ups and downs....stay focused and things will get easier in time. Each day is a new day....make healthy choices and exercise. I am in for 100 pounds and times I feel like it is taking forever. I then look at this way...It may come off slow, but, I am getting healthier, I am more active and I am happier, my life is changing for the better. I get on MFP and it reminds me that I am not alone. There are hundreds of people right here that totally understand. Here is doesn't matter if you need to lose 5 pounds or 500 pounds, we all looked at as the same...friends. We all understand what we need to do...make the lifestyle change.
    If you are not sure about something, we are all one click away. There is always somebody here. You will get tons of advise. There is a great search tool that you can use to do some research.
    Positive thoughts, step by step, and healthy choices, and YOU WILL SUCEED !!!!!!:flowerforyou: