FitBit & MFP - Need some clarification, please!

Options
I just want to ensure that I have my MFP set up properly to work with the adjustments that the FitBit calculates.

I've got my activity set at sedentary.
I only use FitBit to count steps etc. on its own & I log my sleep to track my patterns.
I use MFP for everything else -- any exercise, I log (and include the start time or take my FitBit off so it doesn't double-dip) & my food, I log.

I just find it amazing that yesterday, for example, my FitBit calorie adjustment was nearly 500. Does that mean I burned 500 calories more than my TDEE/BMR? What is FitBit working off of to give me that adjustment?

Today, for example .. I've yet to record any steps as the day has just changed over.
FitBit records no steps, but 95 calories burned.
MFP registers an adjustment of 85 calories already.

I rarely "dip" into my burned calories as far as eating goes, but on MFP it does adjust your set macros so I like to be as accurate as possible.

TIA for the help!

Replies

• foraubs
    foraubs Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    No one?
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    The Fitbit adjustment happens when MFP and FB sync and MFP decides whether you've burned more/less than what MFP thinks you should be burning.

In your example, the 500 calorie adjustment is MFP saying you burned 500 cals above what it think you should burn. It's not FB giving you the adjustment, but how MFP interprets the info during a sync.

FB burn showing up when you haven't done anything is it tracking your BMR. It calculates your BMR based on the info you gave it (height, weight, age, and gender).

If that helped, good. If it didn't, sorry.