almost died

Options
hey my name is hayley im 18 years old :smile: . i am 5'8 and 101 lbs. i really want to gain weight. the doctor said that i only had a few years to live :cry: please help me i need to be healthy. my parents divorced and i live with my mom. i have been recovery since last week, now i ate around 2000 cals day but i cant eat that much! help? :sad:

Replies

• drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    Liquid calories such as pepsi, milk, and orange juice
    Also look at calorie dense foods such as peanut butter, snickers, and lots of butter
  • schondell
    schondell Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Your doctor didn't give you a plan or anything to follow??
    Eat a lot of carbohydrates, bread, pasta, muffins, bagels.. They are very calorie dense. Add peanut butter, jams, cheese, etc
  • 05saleengirl
    Options
    Good suggestions but also include some good healthy fats and protein in there to help you get healthy the GOOD way. I wouldn't load up on the sugar, because regardless its not great for anyone. Are you currently working with a doc and a nutritionist to help you through alll this as well.
  • AlyssaHayleyS
    Options
    okay i will try,thank you:)

no,he just told me to eat 3000 calories. yes, he told me to eat them but my stomach hurts after i ate everything!
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, he should have given you a bit more info. Maybe try to also find a local nutritionist to work with you since your doctor doesn't seem to be giving you a more detailed plan. They can create a plan and work with increasing your calorie intake and also advise you how best to do that.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    If you've been eating say less than 500 calories a day and you just jump up to 2000 calories...or another way to put it is if you haven't been eating anything at all and you just stuff yourself - you are going to get sick and that can cause medical problems too. Either see another doctor or nutritionist to help get you up to where you need to be safely.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    How much are you eating now? Did your doctor say to increase your calories over a period of time or up them in one go? Usually its easier to add a few hundred calories each week as you hormones will gradually get back into sync and your appetite starts coming back. However, this would be advice for someone who is not in recovery. I am not sure if the advice would be different in your case.

To foods, it will be easier to eat calorie dense foods such as

- nuts and seeds and nut and seed butters
    - add oil/butter/dressing to everything
    - full fat everything (no low fat)
    - full fat dairy (yogurt, milk, cheese)
    - avocados
    - pasta
    - juice
    - donuts and other light but sugary pastries
    - 'fatty' meats such as bacon
    - ice-cream
  • mambagirl
    mambagirl Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Start slow...it would be hard to go from 500 to 2,000 overnight.Maybe you can add a few 100 calories on each week till you get up to 2,000.At my job we give the underweight patients Ensure(the protein shake for older people).
  • RobKarmic
    RobKarmic Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    You can easily eat a lot more than 2,000 calories a day you're just not used to it

I suggest you go on youtube and look up Super size Vs Super Skinny they swap an obese persons meal with an anorexics meal and they always figure out that they can eat a lot more than they expected just force it down for a week and you'll be fine keep high calorie food around you at all times snack a lot and you'll do great
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    The suggestions you've been given are good. I just wanted to say good job at deciding to live, and your stomach will "stretch". It will probably only take a week or so to physically get used to eating more. Just keep trying.

I would suggest milkshakes. And full fat specialty coffees like peppermint mochas go down easy and pack a lot of calories. Yum.
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Another point: actively avoid the foods which you know can make you feel full, but are low calorie, ie (low calorie) salads and soups. It is hard to simply add calories to a way of eating that leads to early satiety, so it may be better to swap out foods, ie, instead of lettuce, have avocado, rather than having both.

Also, if you're gaining weight to save your life, no high calorie food should be out of bounds. Your body needs you!
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    Back in middle school, when my mom found out about my eating disorder, she would take me to McDonalds every day. She'd force me to drink a milkshake, and we wouldn't leave until I ate the whole thing. I remember it hurt, and I was so scared at first. But eventually my body and my mind adjusted. Maybe not the healthiest way for me to gain the weight, but it got the job done!

You can do this! I am 22 and fully recovered. I have a great relationship with food. You'll be there someday too!
  • axialmeow
    axialmeow Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    You really need to be medically supervised. It makes me sad that your doctor hasn't given you the tools/info necessary to help your recovery. To tell you to just eat 3000 calories a day? Not helpful! I'd find a nutritionist who specializes in healthy weight gain. And I would find another doctor
  • 2essie
    2essie Posts: 2,867 Member
    Options
    It might help to eat little but often. Eat as many meals a day as you can from the lists the other people have given you. If you wake up at night even, go and eat something. No holds barred here. Just eat whenever you can. Good luck to you. You can do it
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    Go back to your doctor and ask for help in creating a healthy eating plan. Get your mum involved. Aim for healthy fats and plenty of fresh vegetables. Like others say, you are going to have to work up to it slowly. Good luck and well done on facing this.
  • TheWinman
    TheWinman Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    You really need to be medically supervised. It makes me sad that your doctor hasn't given you the tools/info necessary to help your recovery. To tell you to just eat 3000 calories a day? Not helpful! I'd find a nutritionist who specializes in healthy weight gain. And I would find another doctor

I second this!!
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Ask your doctor to refer you to a registered dietician.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    If you can eat nuts, then devour them. Also peanut butter - either on bread or just spoon it into your mouth (it sounds odd but I could devour a whole jar if I didn't have to count calories).

Also, try the likes of Complan, Fortisip etc - very high energy, nutritious drinks normally given to people who can't eat much.
  • taekwonkenpo
    Options
    Peanut butter
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    pizza

cheese cake

more cheese cake

more pizza

oh man...a pizza then cheese cake

heaven