Foods that will keep you full

Options
So I am doing pretty well with my weight loss. I am losing more inches than weight but I am down 9lbs and 2 pant sizes. I keep in my calorie range of 1350 but I feel like I need food that will keep my fuller with low calorie count. I"m not starving but I'm not 100% satisfied either (btw, if you look at my food diary for the past week or so it's only a lot of liquid because i had to get some test done for the doctor that's not how I usually eat)

I do reward myself sometimes with a treat but I usually eat pretty well but like I said I need I guess better quality food. Can anyone suggest some things? I did start eating jerky for a snack that is high in protein (I'm not a huge nut fan so I can't do that) and I'm also staying away from as much gluten and dairy as possible (just started this so it's not completely gone)

Thanks friends!

Replies

• bdamaster60
    bdamaster60 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Water. Drink 1.5 gal a day, keep drinking it especially with meals, ideally 1 litre per meal. If that doesn't help and you've hit your daily macros, no other choice but to suck it up, it's only hunger.
  • bex0178
    bex0178 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I find that low calorie, high volume foods, or low-calorie, high water-content foods help to control hunger. Salad can be very high volume if you use a lot of lettuce and low calorie veggies with just a few toppings for dinner (the serving size for most packaged salad mixes is half the bag.) Many fresh veggies are of course high water, high volume, and remain so when steamed. Low calorie soups are great to curb hunger, and, again, have both high volume and the high water content. I like to have cereal and almond milk when I want something sweet. My favorite is the Protein Plus Special K (120 cal for 3/4 cup) and 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk (20 cal) with Stevia.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,992 Member
    Options
    Potatoes are the most satiating food on the planet, and fish is also up there.....low calorie foods are a waste of time unless you consume a lot of them, and that's just too friken boring.
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Lean protein. Also I fill up on sauteed greens (embarrassingly large piles of them).
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    Fat free cottage cheese is really filling.
  • preslyann50
    preslyann50 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I am just starting to like fish, right now I like talapia, tuna and salmon. I need to branch out a bit not that I got over the initial fish taste :P
  • mhaight85
    Options
    salad with protein on it - lean meat, eggs, nuts. i make my salads with spinach leaves, and use salsa instead of salad dressing.

spinach salad with hard boiled egg & salsa is about 100 calories so pump up the meal with something like yogurt, granola bar, meal replacement shake, or lowfat string cheese depending on how many calories you want to make your meal total.
  • ericadawn92
    ericadawn92 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt can keep me pretty full -- although that's dairy so idk how you feel about it :/

Like another user posted, potatoes and fish. A tilapia fillet and a medium sized baked potato is one of my favorite meals :)

And of course, like others said, drinking lots of water.

also, when you're feeling hungry, really examine and see if you're HUNGRY or just craving food...I know most of the time I think I'm 'hungry' but I actually just want to eat cause it tastes good. So then I make tea or something so I can fill up with water and still have some sort of taste :) I've also noticed the hot water in tea fills me up even more than just water from a water bottle.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    Oatmeal, tofu shirataki noodle, apples, berries, protein powder, cucumbers, and green beans. Those are pretty much the only things I eat. Super filling.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Protein, fibre, water and to a lesser extent fat help you feel full. Base your day around nine or ten servings of non starchy vegetables and low sugar fruits, add in protein (lean meat, oily fish, eggs, reduced fat dairy, nuts, seeds) at every meal and snack, healthy fats little and often (oily fish, avocados, olives, coconut, cocoa, nuts, seeds). If that is not enough food add in low glycaemic index whole carbs, ones that don't peak and trough your blood sugar and are slow to digest (especially beans, lentils, barley). Avoid added sugar, white refined carbs, limit white potatoes and anything made with wheat flour as these are quick to digest and absorb.
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    1 whole green pepper sliced and a quarter cup of ricotta cheese. I think it's the crunch that makes it satisfying. To make it even more filling add half an advocado.
  • TheLittleLebowski
    Options
    I second Greek Yogurt!

I like roasting a tray of broccoli and cauliflower, couple hundred grams of both are fairly small calories wise, and I'm absolutely stuffed, add a tin of baby carrots for an additional 40 calories and I couldn't possibly eat anymore.
  • Jpinpoint
    Jpinpoint Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I don't cook, I buy prepared food.

Every day on my way home from work I buy a Whole Roasted Chicken. I munch on it (feed my husband if he wants some) when I have that empty pit feeling especially after my workout.
    I also buy Meat/Cheese trays, I never over indulge. I count out the sliced meat, sliced cheese and if I want to add crackers I portion those out also.
    I buy pre-packaged veggies too. They are always available when I have had my dinner but I'm still a bit hungry.

And lastly, my go to kind of "dessert" is Yoplait Greek Yogurt, Vanilla. Low Calories, Low Carbs, High Protein.

I THINK protein is a filler, it helps you stay full. Maybe adding more protein to your meals will help in feeling fuller.

To the person that said, water and if all else fails, "It's just hunger". When I'm hungry I'm mean. Not only mean but I also tend to have more anxiety and panic because I don't enjoy being hungry. I find more so now that I'm working out and losing weight I'm more often hungry than when I wasn't working out and losing weight. I accept that as progress because my stomach is communicating again. I don't think I would be inclined to just go with the hungry feeling, I think I'd mow through a loaf of bread.

But, everyone is vastly different.
  • Moosycakes
    Moosycakes Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Porridge! :D
    I put blueberries in mine :)
  • Eggwhites! If I put a few tablespoons of liquid eggwhites in my oatmeal in the morning, I'm good for hours.
  • tnh2007
    tnh2007 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    squash! I love butternut squash. 80 calories per cup so I eat it for breakfast with a tsp of butter. Yummy, filling and warm on these cold winter mornings! :)
  • Frigs
    Frigs Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    great idea on the egg whites in the porridge...I was getting tired of hard boiled egss sans the golden center....

Also..Chili is my favorite filler....chili made with lots of veggies...
  • Merrysix
    Merrysix Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    lean protein 5 times a day keeps my blood sugar level and I don't crave food. I like fish, chicken, turkey, greek yogurt, cottage cheese. I usually eat these with a salad or steamed vegies, or sometimes with an apple, pear or orange. I also try to eat before I get too hungry -- easier to stick with my food and exercise plan then. When I'm really hungry I don't think straight. -- MSH
  • whitelaurel
    whitelaurel Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I was going to suggest eggs as THE MOST FILLING FOOD ON THE PLANET, but if you're trying to stay away from dairy, I guess that doesn't help you much. :)

If I can think of another food I go to for an instantly full-feeling stomach, I'll come back and let you know! :)
  • horseplaypen
    horseplaypen Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    eggs =/= dairy :smile:

unless you mean
    636x460walls_01.jpg

(sorry to tease... sometimes I make this mistake too!)