special k diet?

Options
have you done it? thought about it? results from it?

Replies

• Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    No!

Eat at a deficit from TDEE.
    Have Special K or any other food.
    Enjoy fat/weight loss.
  • kelli1023
    kelli1023 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    ive calcuated the caloires and its just about what i would eat anyways is that still good then ?
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    ive calcuated the caloires and its just about what i would eat anyways is that still good then ?
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Have seen it, but wouldn't consider doing it because it's not a sustainable way to eat. You might lose weight with it, but what happens when you go back to eating regular food? Most of these types of diets result in some weight loss, and then putting those pounds right back on (and often a few more).

Better off just changing your eating habits overall - a lifestyle change that is sustainable and will knock the fat off & keep it off. I found this topic to be very helpful in finding my BMR and my TDEE and setting my calories between those two numbers: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

I still enjoy a lot of my favorite foods, I eat well, and I'm losing the fat. :smile: Much better than eating cereal for two meals a day (as much as I love cereal! :tongue:)!
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options
    I bet there's a deficit involved. lol
  • AmyRhubarb
    Options

How many calories are you eating a day now? Even if it is enough calories (not likely), it's not the best nutrition to stick with cereal twice a day.
  • kelli1023
    Options
    i mean its just not cereal they have other stuff but right now i eat about 1500-1800 caloires a day
  • BetterThanThor
    Options
    No!

Eat at a deficit from TDEE.
    Have Special K or any other food.
    Enjoy fat/weight loss.
    ^This. No one food or lack of food is going to work any better unless you have a medical need to have it or not have it.
  • kingzx
    kingzx Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    What is TDEE?
  • lmc8774
    lmc8774 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    What is TDEE?

Go to Helloitsdan's post above and read his link.
  • AliciaStinger
    AliciaStinger Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    When I was younger and desperate to lose weight as quickly as possible, I considered the Special K diet. The thing is, if you eat cereal twice a day:

(1) if you stick to it, you will have two meals a day under 300 calories. You could do this eating much better/more diverse meals.

(2) you will not be full.

EDIT: ...also, as others have mentioned, when you reach your goal weight and begin to eat normally, you will just gain back the weight you lost. Better to eat a full meal with reasonable portions.
  • kelli1023
    Options
    thanks everyone for you input i wanted to see what everyone thought about it i do eat special k foods but not like the diet i eat between 1500-1800 calories a day plus working out so really its comes down to like 1200 but everyones input is really good!
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's teaching you how to eat afterwards? Your not going to live of special k forever. I think the lack of protein will leave you feeling very hungry too! X
  • krystal_black
    Options
    I did the special K diet and after I stopped I gained back 5lbs lost. Their diet plan does not teach healthy eating. I do think that the special k chips etc are great as snack that are low cal and the protein drinks are wonderful to slip in your gym bag for that pre or post workout but following the program is not a reasonable expectation of life and is only a quick fix.
  • formersec
    formersec Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Did the Special K diet years ago back when it involved only cereal, not the shakes and bars also used now. But as others pointed out, the program is not sustainable long term. I lost 6 pounds the first week, which could have happened on any diet. Nothing earth shaking there. But by the next week, I was bored out of my skull. One day, I actually sat down and ate a 12 cut pizza. So much for the Special K diet.

The best program is one you can do for life. The Special K diet isn't it.
  • AmyRhubarb
    Options
    What is TDEE?
    Total Daily Energy Expenditure - the amount of calories you burn in a 24 hour period, based on your BMR and activity level. And as the other posted commented, you can calculate yours in the link HelloitsDan and I both posted. :smile:
  • SuperstarDJ
    SuperstarDJ Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Special K diet = BS marketing ploy to make LOTS of money for Kellogg's.

Nothing more scientific about it than that I think
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    Can I do this same diet, but with Lucky Charms instead? What if I only eat the marshmellows, will that help?
  • ashleeliza
    Options
    You're only meant to follow it for 2 weeks I think, but I did it for 4 weeks and lost 8lbs.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    How do you intend to get all your portions of fruit and veg, essential fatty acids, enough protein to maintain muscle mass and fibre in one meal? The only healthy part of the diet is the milk.