Anyone else in graduate school?

Options
I'm 28 and in law school. I definitely gained 20 pounds in my first 1.5 years in school, so I'm working on getting back to my previous weight. It's really hard, though -- thinking hard makes you want to eat more.

So far, I've gone from 196 to 191.8 at 5'7". Can't wait to get back to 176, and then go further. Who's with me?

Edit: Also, can I just say how much I hate the MyFitnessPal doesn't count the weight I've lost on the ticker below because I've used MFP when I was smaller than this? Roar.

Replies

• km202
    km202 Posts: 112
    Options
    I am a second year biochem graduate student. I understand how difficult it is with the time commitment! Keep in there. You can do it.
  • Hakarn
    Hakarn Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Eighth year microbiology :sad: :sad: :sad:
  • ragslittle
    ragslittle Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Not any more...just finished my masters in nursing last night! Yay to be done!! Happy dance!!
  • wellisawstars
    wellisawstars Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Oh, your pain. I can feel it. Will you be done soon?
  • wellisawstars
    Options
    Congrats! That's wonderful. Also, I'm super impressed by your weight loss. Keep it up!
  • joyosplash
    Options
    Third year medical student here, definitely gained some weight sitting and studying all day! Working really hard to lose it again, long hours standing in surgery is helping with that. And I agree about it not showing my weight loss because I was smaller when I first joined a couple years ago!
  • horseplaypen
    horseplaypen Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Congrats ragslittle!!!!!!!

I'm in my 3rd year of vet school (8th year of post-secondary...) AND I intend to do a masters/PhD when I'm done... sucker for punishment (or avoiding real life?)

I never ballooned in weight during university but it was a steady gain of about 15 lbs since I started. This year I feel like I'm getting a better handle on my health, but the time I spend exercising is coming at the expense of my grades, for sure. :( So difficult to balance it all! Plus next year I'm going to be in clinics for 12+ hours at a time, so I'm a little worried about how I'm going to handle exercise and good nutrition then. But I guess I shouldn't be complaining with a med student in the thread now...
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Eighth year microbiology :sad: :sad: :sad:
    I feel your pain, I've been there. I took a full time job in my 7th year--not good for finishing, but I did it.

OP: Obviously from the above I am not a graduate student, but I have been one.

Edited to add: I lost weight in grad school, about 10 pounds a year. Before you hate, I started out at 240, and I'm 5'7.
  • jeffsalyer
    jeffsalyer Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Just finished my course work and passed my comps for my PhD. Trying to balance all of this has been tough. During my Masters I ballooned and then lost 30 pounds as soon as I graduated. During the 3 years of PhD coursework I gained about half of that back and then lost it again this past summer when I finished courses and Insanity. I'm trying to keep the dissertation writing from taking away from my health and will beginning Insanity again on Monday.
  • _happycats_
    _happycats_ Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I'm 27 and in my second year of vet school :)

Edit: Ooh I'm not the only one in vet school! I'm trying to lose the little bits of yearly weight I've piled on in school (noticed that all of a sudden I'm much heavier than when I started!). I'm still learning that I can't just eat whatever I want all the time and I'm a picky eater so food is definitely my challenge.
  • Hakarn
    Options
    Right now I am tormented. I cannot find a job anywhere. I have about 90 pages written for my dissertation, but am taking a break to send out another round of job applications. On top of that I am teaching classes. Good times.
  • RobynLB
    RobynLB Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    Law school. 2L. If you're in your first year, don't worry, it eases up enough to feel human again your second year! I do a lot of reading on the treadmill or stairs for my "light" reading... as if there is such a thing... you should see my margin notes while on the treadmill. It's a struggle to keep balance. My BMI and RHR were definitely better than my GPA last year, but I'm feeling pretty good about how finals are going this year, so maybe it's coming together.
  • rlmiller73190
    rlmiller73190 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    About to finish my first semester of my masters of science :)
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    two more years and i'll be done with grad school. master of science, energy management.
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    You can go back and change your starting weight! Then your ticker will show correctly :)

I'm 21 and about to graduate college. I just got my first law school acceptance and I'm so excited! I have a lot more schools to hear from but now I know I'm definitely going. I gained weight in undergrad and I've worked hard to lose it, so I really hope I don't gain again in law school!
  • wellisawstars
    Options
    I think my big downfall was eating too many snacks. I usually chose healthier stuff, but I ate too much of it. I also would eat really big lunches.

I've found that studying while standing up at tall tables or counters helps a little. That, and going to the gym. :)
  • Wilhelmina07
    Options
    First year Masters student in Epidemiology and planning to get my PhD so I've got a long way to go :( I feel you though. The hardest for me is finding time to just sit and eat. I'm always multitasking while eating or even worse grabbing something that's not necessarily healthy but convenient . I learned to always have healthy snacks and plenty of water in my backpack so I'm not tempted to go to the vending machine. Also I found if I incorporate exercising like it's a class and schedule it into my week I tend to follow through and go which ultimately makes me feel better and gives me more energy to power through the week. Good luck!!!
  • Hakarn
    Options
    Drinking lots of water helps, too. If the closest thing to you is a bottle of water instead of snacks, that might be what you reach for.
  • pmccoy5
    pmccoy5 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    For some reason my post entered twice ;) so edited this one! lol
  • kirlia
    kirlia Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I'm 1 class away from finishing grad school! So exciting! Welcome (back?) to mfp :o)