Not convinced (Give me proof)-Women & Weights

Options
Sooo, I've heard weight lifting/training DOES NOT bulk women up (cause we don't have testosterone, etc.,) and I can believe this- to an extent, but I'm still not totally convinced. I see alot of women on here lifting, but it always seems that their already at the goal weight or within 10-15lbs. I never see any transformations from someone who HAS lost +65lbs or needs to lose +65lbs.

I'm very scared to utilize weights at such a large size, how would it NOT bulk me up? I just need some solid information on how to go about this, and some pics would really help!

I have no desire to be bulky, or even muscular, at all- I just want to be toned and defined at my goal weight.

SW: 247
GW: 168
HT: 5'5 1/2
Frame: Curvy

Thanks in advance (no negativity, please)

Replies

• thatsnumberwang
    thatsnumberwang Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    It takes a *lot* of work (and a whole lot of extra calories) to build an extra lb of muscle. Even men who have tons of testosterone have to struggle and fight for every lb of muscle they gain. Women just aren't built to bulk. Try reading some excerpts from New Rules of Lifting for Women. Hopefully some other ladies on here can post success stories for you to help convince you too!
  • amann1976
    amann1976 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    simply put your can't add bulk if you are not eating at a surplus... any gains or loses will always start and end with what you put in your mouth. the cardio and the lifting is just to make what you have or what you are gaining look better.
  • coyoteo
    coyoteo Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    I lose weight and feel way better when I am lifting. When I started mfp, I did cardio and it didn't really do much....started lifting and dropped 30 pounds. Can't wait to get back at it.
  • Rogue_Minx
    Rogue_Minx Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Being lean implies that you would like lean muscle.

I lift weights four times a week and I do not have any bulk at all. I use lighter weights with higher reps and it helps to cut inches down on my body. A pound of fat and a pound of muscle weight the same but a pound of fat can be the size of a grapefruit while a pound of muscle is more like a tangerine. This makes your body smaller without packing on the weight or "bulk" that you're talking about.

I don't have any pictures to show you, sadly, but I can tell you that lifting weights has definitely helped me out. I HATED going to the gym just to sweat my butt off doing cardio. I sweat while I lift but I can feel myself getting stronger and THAT is why it's worth it. And I'm not bulky at all.

LIfting also helped to tone down the loose skin I was getting after losing 30 or so pounds. To me, losing weight was pointless if I was left with icky flaps of skin under my arms and on my belly. =)

Give it a try!
  • empot
    empot Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Hey! I've been on my weight loss journey for about a year and a half. I've lost over 100 lbs in total. About 88 since joining mfp. I lift heavy 3 days a week, and I'm toned but not bulky. I haven't lost any lean body mass in my process, all fat. Lifting will sculpt your body and help it be an effective fat burning ( muscle burns more calories at rest than fat). I highly encourage you to pick up those weights!!!
  • GaiaGirl1992
    GaiaGirl1992 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    It also depends on what your definition of "bulky" is. Unless you're taking a bunch of different supplements, you won't get anywhere close to body builder big.
  • starcatcher1975
    starcatcher1975 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I lift weights and I have a ton of weight to lose! I also do cardio to help with weight loss. I was worried about it stalling my weight loss but I'm still losing inches so I'm ok with it. I have a friend I see about once a month and the last 2 months she's said she can tell a difference even though I've not lost that many pounds. I figure why wait until I'm close to goal weight to start getting firm- work on both at the same time. But that's just me :smile:

ETA: I lift heavy- for me. And I am currently following NROLFW
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Lifting in a deficit, you're not going to gain muscle mass. You're doing it to preserve the muscle you already have, while losing the fat.

Fat takes up much more space per pound than muscle. The more fat you lose, and the more muscle you keep, the fewer pounds you'll have to lose to achieve the same body size. And the more muscle you keep, the better your shape will be at that size.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    Sooo, I've heard weight lifting/training DOES NOT bulk women up (cause we don't have testosterone, etc.,) and I can believe this- to an extent, but I'm still not totally convinced. I see alot of women on here lifting, but it always seems that their already at the goal weight or within 10-15lbs. I never see any transformations from someone who HAS lost +65lbs or needs to lose +65lbs.

I'm very scared to utilize weights at such a large size, how would it NOT bulk me up? I just need some solid information on how to go about this, and some pics would really help!

I have no desire to be bulky, or even muscular, at all- I just want to be lean and defined at my goal weight.

That can't happen without lifting some serious weights (and I mean real weights, not those tiny girly dumbbells). You really think those women you mentioned didn't lift while they were still heavy? How would you know? Please never ever judge people just because of what you see. FYI, I was obese just 3 years ago and I lift heavy while dieting & cardio. If all I did was cardio & diet then I would end up thin but with a saggy skin no matter if I'm at a goal weight or not.
  • DiaryOfaThickFitWoman
    Options

I have no desire to be bulky, or even muscular, at all- I just want to be lean and defined at my goal weight.

That can't happen without lifting some serious weights (and I mean real weights, not those tiny girly dumbbells). You really think those women you mentioned didn't lift while they were still heavy? How would you know? Please never ever judge people just because of what you see. FYI, I was obese just 3 years ago and I lift heavy while dieting & cardio. If all I did was cardio & diet then I would end up thin but with a saggy skin no matter if I'm at a goal weight or not.

Before this thread goes toward a negative direction, I'm not judging or accussing anyone of anything- all I said was: I never see any transformations from someone who HAS lost +65lbs or needs to lose +65lbs.

With that being said, thank everyone for their input thus far, I appreciate it.
  • nikinyx6
    nikinyx6 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I wish Yoovie was here today...she has a lifting story to change your mind :)
  • amann1976
    Options
    if you want to see reasons why you should lift weights look most of those people on the biggest loser who lose a lot of weight with a lot of cardio... their end result usually shows no muscle tone what so ever in their body.
  • Glowbee
    Glowbee Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    http://muffin-topless.com/

I also lift to lose, and I don't look like a She-Arnold ;)
  • DiaryOfaThickFitWoman
    Options

Lol, too funny, thx!
  • SLRamirez2012
    Options
    Add me as a friend and look at all of my pictures... I lift at least 3x a week.... and I am def not huge. I am toned in places, if anything!
  • kaotik26
    kaotik26 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Here is the advice a long time friend and personal trainer gave me the other day:

"You aint gonna bulk, you need testosterone and hours of dedication to lifting to bulk. High reps low weight is better to start with for stabilizing the muscles and is also good for toning. After 4-6 weeks change it up to avoid a plateau."

What I have done in the past is lift enough weight so that at around 12-15 reps I can barely lift the weight. Then take a break before another set (3 sets in all). Like she said though, it takes a lot of time, dedication, testosterone and 3500 calorie days to bulk up.

**And she wasn't talking about low weight in terms of tiny 5 lb dumbells, just light enough to be able to get a good amount of reps in!
  • tabithajoyy
    tabithajoyy Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Girl muscle burns fat! I lift and have lost 80lbs and muscle has changed my life. Lifting has made my body more firm and lose TONS of inches. You won't bulk! I promise!
  • amann1976
    Options

Lol, too funny, thx!

make sure you invite me over when you make some of those recipes:wink:
  • toomuchbootyindapants
    Options
    I started lifting weights when I was 175 lbs and 35-36% bodyfat and a size 12 (prior to that I had done things like C25K or 30DS).

I'm 150-155# now, about 23-24% bodyfat (always a range) and a sz 6 or small 8 (oh, and I'm 5'5").

I've already posted some pics in another thread so to save time, I'll link you to page 11 (scroll down to find me):
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/812464-show-me-ur-heavy-lifting-results-please?page=11

I am not "bulky" though I do carry some extra fat on my body still - and my back doesn't look all beefy when I'm just standing there, un-flexed. My quads are...quite large (and I do squat more than my bodyweight regularly)...but I'm genetically built to be dominant there anyway.
  • amann1976
    Options
    Here is the advice a long time friend and personal trainer gave me the other day:

"You aint gonna bulk, you need testosterone and hours of dedication to lifting to bulk. High reps low weight is better to start with for stabilizing the muscles and is also good for toning. After 4-6 weeks change it up to avoid a plateau."

What I have done in the past is lift enough weight so that at around 12-15 reps I can barely lift the weight. Then take a break before another set (3 sets in all). Like she said though, it takes a lot of time, dedication, testosterone and 3500 calorie days to bulk up.

**And she wasn't talking about low weight in terms of tiny 5 lb dumbells, just light enough to be able to get a good amount of reps in!

your friend doesnt no what he is talking about there is no such thing as toning... before you argue just look it up on your own.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!