Hurt my knee :(

Options
So I've been running for a few months & have managed to stay injury free. No knee pain, shin splints, nothing! I ran 5 k yesterday & felt fantastic & I can honestly say that I enjoy running now! Well, last night I reached into my daughter's closet & managed to twist my knee :*( In the past, when I've done this it's taken at least a week before it stopped hurting to walk & since I've never been a runner before I have no idea how long it will be before I can get back on the track. So my questions are - what knee friendly exercises can I do in the meantime? On days that I'm not running I usually do bodyweight type strength training but all the routines I use are very squat & lunge heavy and usually involve a lot of jumping jacks/jump rope/high knees etc. can anyone direct me to a routine that will be easier on my poor knee? I don't have a gym membership so I need a home workout please! Second question - what can I do to strengthen my knee once it's better so that i don't get this injury again? Do you think the running caused it, even though I wasn't running at the time? Should I be wearing a brace or something? Any stretches that I should be doing after my runs? I'm frustrated b/c I'm only 26 & in relatively good shape & I feel like I shouldn't be having trouble with my &$&@%# joints!!

Replies

• sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    First off, NO RUNNING for awhile! I injured my knee back in March through a car accident, and am STILL having issues with it. I was out of running for months, went through PT, and each day is different. During that time, walking was my best friend. It still is! If you have access to a gym, elliptical is great, as well as swimming, but if you don't, walking is the way to go. :) Definitely stay away from stuff like squats for awhile as well, and any kind of movement that would twist your knee, such as Zumba, dancing, etc. I hope it gets better soon! Ice and heat are your friend! :) As far as a brace goes, it depends. When I sprained my ankle doing high knee runs in a boot camp class, a brace helped. When I hurt my knee, a brace made it worse. And ditto on the age thing...I'm only 20! :(