does heat destrpy protein powder?

Options
keem88
keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
random question. i mix protein powder with my oatmeal (super tasty), it is nature's bounty complete protein and viramin mix). i told my mom about it since she uses the same powder and asked if heating it would destroy the nutrients in it. not sure about it, since a lot of protein you eat is cooked anyway, anyone have any thoughts? thanks!

Replies

• nicholasdupuis
    nicholasdupuis Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    The protein itself is still there nutritionally, however, the protein becomes "denatured". Meaning the texture is a little more stiff.
  • Leguman
    Options
    Like basednick said, protein is denatured (change the molecular shape of the protein). This change in shape of the protein makes absolutely no difference to the nutritional value of the protein. Anyways, the acidity of your stomach is way more denaturing the protein that the heat does, and your body needs to break the protein in amino acids (the litte molecules that "builds" the protein") to digest it anyways
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Like basednick said, protein is denatured (change the molecular shape of the protein). This change in shape of the protein makes absolutely no difference to the nutritional value of the protein. Anyways, the acidity of your stomach is way more denaturing the protein that the heat does, and your body needs to break the protein in amino acids (the litte molecules that "builds" the protein") to digest it anyways

^^^ That
  • keem88
    Options
    thanks. i think if anything the vitamins in the mix may lose more value than the protein would. either way it is delicious to mix it with oatmeal. nom nom nom :happy:
  • Jkmumma
    Jkmumma Posts: 254
    Options
    Meh, I lived in Sacramento, and one summer our AC went out, and stayed out for a good 3 months, protein powder = still good.
  • keem88
    Options
    Meh, I lived in Sacramento, and one summer our AC went out, and stayed out for a good 3 months, protein powder = still good.

i leave mine out all the time, my apartment gets super hot in the summer and winter (i can't control the heat the landlord keeps it up mad high). was more curious out the heat from the boiling water if that would take away any of the nutrients, well my mom was curious i really didn't care too much lol