How to stop being hungry!?

Okay so I am eating 1200 calories a day, and thats fine, normally I can cope, but today I AM SO HUNGRY. I have had dinner and stuff and eaten my 1200 cals for today, argh anyone have any tips how to make hunger and cravings go away?

Replies

• Read a book. Or try eating an apple at dinner time. Hope this helps:happy:
  • ObtainingBalance
    ObtainingBalance Posts: 1,446 Member
    Eat more. I'm sure your TDEE is a lot higher.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    I'm going to go with eat.
  • anifani4
    anifani4 Posts: 457 Member
    If you are that hungry then eat a big bowl of vegetables. It will fill you up for few calories. I'm thinking broccoli with with a light sprinkle of grated cheese. Roasted cauliflower (with a bit of olive oil and lemon juice). A big pile of geen beans with salt and pepper. Those would be my choices but have something you love.
  • FelicityEliza36
    FelicityEliza36 Posts: 252 Member
    To stay full longer - try drinking water ALL the time; before, with, after a meal.

If you are still hungry though just eating 1200 cals a day maybe you just arent EATING enough anyways.

Try to increase it. Even if its just for today, eat more. Get in a good work out to burn it off if you feel guilty. But eat!
  • I too say have something to eat. If the cravings are still there after a snack, consider that it might be something emotional going on. For me I eat over my emotions and some days I'm starving and others' I feel fine. Think about your week, month, yesterday. Has something happened? Is it an anniversary of some sad event? All of that is stored in our bodies and it will come out when not being medicated by food. This is more an emotional journey than the food. :flowerforyou:
  • Eat your exercise calories, or just learn to live with it.
  • I am going to second the apple. I use it as my little trick to get through the end of the work day when people start bringing out the treats. It is filling and low in calories.
  • lisabinco
    lisabinco Posts: 1,016 Member
    If you are that hungry then eat a big bowl of vegetables. It will fill you up for few calories.
    My solution, too. I never restrict raw veggies and eat as many as I'd like. I don't restrict raw fruit, either. Nor do I restrict steamed veggies. There's no reason to go hungry. Eat! Just make sure it's really hunger that you feel and then eat the right things.
  • n2thenight24
    n2thenight24 Posts: 1,651 Member
    EAT!!! :)
  • kathyms13
    kathyms13 Posts: 497 Member
    I HAVE A NICE CUP OF LEMON TEA, IT WORKS WONDERS AND YES ITS A BIT OF LEARNING TO LIVE WITH IT.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    i think that you are eating way too little at 1200 calories.

http://www.quickbmr.com/what-is-tdee.html

go here to find out your tdee (total daily energy expenditure) and that'll help you find your BMR (basal metobolic rate). BMR is what you would need to consume, at MINIMUM, if your body were just laying in bed all day.

you should be eating in between you TDEE and BMR. unfortunatly some people get confused and eat below their BMR, which causes their weight loss to suffer.
  • lamilli09
    lamilli09 Posts: 354 Member
    Let me preface this by saying that I am not a nutritionist or expert in any way... but this is what I do when I'm hungry and I've already hit my calorie allotment for the day::

1. Have a big glass of water. (Some days I find that when I think I'm hungry, I'm actually just thirsty.)
    2. Go for a walk, read a book, do a sudoku puzzle. (I tend to eat when I'm bored or want something to do with my mind.)
    3. If I'm still hungry after going through #1 and #2, I eat. Unless my stomach grumbles right as I get into bed, I never let myself go hungry. Have a healthy snack and don't sweat going over on calories.

Also, when this happens, I check my food diary for a few days prior. Have I been eating consistently 500 calories more than what I am aiming for today? Did I have a day earlier in the week where I ate significantly under my calorie allotment? Did I have a particularly long workout the day before? I can usually pinpoint something in my food diary to explain why I might be hungry.

Hope this helps!
  • lemiller09 is right - I second all she has said, plus the fact that drinking more water seems to work. I'm trying that right now!
  • Brenda_1965
    Brenda_1965 Posts: 314 Member
    I like salted apples, peanut butter on Sara lee delightful bread (35 calories) and a few almonds. Sometimes I put a couple slices of banana on t hrs sandwich. Another favorite is blt made either turkey bacon and the Sara lee bread. I used to have your problem, but I've learned not to west my calories on stupid stuff like poptarts (yesterday's diary) that just make me hungry all day. Running helps curb my appetite too because I have to chug water when I'm done.

Timeline else I noticed is that if I add a little sweet onion to my salad, burger or whatever, I don't forage around the kitchen eating everything in hopes of something hitting the spot. Today the potato soup from kwik star had lots of pepper in it too, which kept the cravings away too!

One last thing to consider are pickled or spicy veggies in a jar. I love pickled (no calories) and cauliflower in a jar..kind of hot...

Add me if you would like! I have 30 lbs to go.

Oh yeah. I forgot to say that on days I choose to drink caffeine, I'm hungrier because it stimulates my appetite. Man. I want a salted apple right now, but I don't want to drive to town.
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Okay so I am eating 1200 calories a day, and thats fine, normally I can cope, but today I AM SO HUNGRY. I have had dinner and stuff and eaten my 1200 cals for today, argh anyone have any tips how to make hunger and cravings go away?

The eat more today. No need to be so punitive.
  • hellraisedfire
    hellraisedfire Posts: 403 Member
    if you are hungry, that would be your body signalling it needs more fuel. 1200 is low for calories. eat more. personally, I eat as many vegetables a day, I try to restrict fruits because sometimes the sugars mess with me. :) but that's just me! find a vegetable you actually enjoy eating and stick with it!
  • As long as im actually hungry - not just bored or have the munchies - ill allow myself upto 300 cals of whatever i fancy (yogurt usually fixes my hunger tho). if i deny myself too much then i can very easily talk myself out of sticking to the diet! I find it does far less damage to my waistline to just have a little something to eat!
    Generally, as long as im under 1500 cals im happy :-)
  • id be hungry too if i only ate 1200. i dont know how you do it :)
  • lc52820
    lc52820 Posts: 76 Member
    To stay full longer - try drinking water ALL the time; before, with, after a meal.

If you are still hungry though just eating 1200 cals a day maybe you just arent EATING enough anyways.

Try to increase it. Even if its just for today, eat more. Get in a good work out to burn it off if you feel guilty. But eat!

Agreed! Drinking lots of water definitely helps.

The Hungry Girl site recommends starting meals with broth-based soups to help fill you up. Also, eating complex carbs/whole grains will help you feel fuller for longer.