please could i have some answers????

Options
I've been on my weight loss journey for a year now and i've dropped 59lbs i did this just by counting calories and was losing 2lbs a week....so far so good!.
The problem for me is my weight loss has stalled (not losing as much or at all) since i bought my treadmill and decided to use it everyday.
The second problem is i think im starting to take all this healthy eating to another level....i no longer enjoy social events bevause it means food sometimes i find myself not eating much more than about 800 calories i know im beginning to develop an eating disorder although i have never made myself sick or used laxatives.
Im scared if i eat more than a certain amount of calories i will pack on the pounds this week has been terrible for me everyday i have eaten at least 2000 calories or more ive logged it all and the total is something like 4000 over maintenence for a week so i may just gain a lb but why is it that most of the time i can be so controlling and then every so often i completely sabotage myself and feel bad!!
Could it seem to me that im eating way too much because i normally eat so little? im starting to obsess over what the scale says everyone else is like oh wow you've lost more weight, but i just cant see it!!
Why is this all starting to rule my life and become a nightmare? anybody in a similar situation? how can i stop all this?

Replies

• maricash
    maricash Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    In answer to your last question, yes. If you are constantly depriving yourself to the point that you can't enjoy social occasions and are severely restricting your calories, then I'm not surprised that you would flip to the other side and overeat.

This is one of the problems with restrictive diets. You need to learn to have a healthy relationship with your body and with food. Food is essential for life and it should be a non-stressful, if not an enjoyable part of your life.

Weight loss slows down over time. As you get smaller, you are going to lose at a slower rate. Using your treadmill shouldn't have anything to do with weight gain, though you can temporarily gain water weight when you alter your exercise routine.

It doesn't sound like focusing on weight loss is healthy for you at this time. It is not healthy to not enjoy social events due to worrying about food, it's not healthy to severely restrict calories, and it's not healthy to be scared to eat. Is there a counselor that you could speak with about this? It does sound like you are heading down the road to an eating disorder and, even if not, that you are making yourself unnecessarily miserable.
  • Sincere24
    Sincere24 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    For both your sanity sake and health i recommend you take a "break" from dieting and reconnect with eating a more balanced diet. I think when one takes to such level of extremes as it appears you have, having led to your social anxiety of sorts you really need to develop a sense of the bigger picture. I.e. what is your end goal, how might you want to achieve this, can i realistically maintain my goal when attained in a healthy manner... some questions to ask yourself

Being healthy and maintaining a healthy relationship with food is key and something that's difficult to achieve for many, hence the reason for this site. I'm sure you know very well that 800kcals does not justice for you. So go ahead eat maintenance, ENJOY your exercises and attempt to find the middle road. Once that's achieved you can reassess your goals

Cheers!
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    I've been on my weight loss journey for a year now and i've dropped 59lbs i did this just by counting calories and was losing 2lbs a week....so far so good!.
    The problem for me is my weight loss has stalled (not losing as much or at all) since i bought my treadmill and decided to use it everyday.
    The second problem is i think im starting to take all this healthy eating to another level....i no longer enjoy social events bevause it means food sometimes i find myself not eating much more than about 800 calories i know im beginning to develop an eating disorder although i have never made myself sick or used laxatives.
    Im scared if i eat more than a certain amount of calories i will pack on the pounds this week has been terrible for me everyday i have eaten at least 2000 calories or more ive logged it all and the total is something like 4000 over maintenence for a week so i may just gain a lb but why is it that most of the time i can be so controlling and then every so often i completely sabotage myself and feel bad!!
    Could it seem to me that im eating way too much because i normally eat so little? im starting to obsess over what the scale says everyone else is like oh wow you've lost more weight, but i just cant see it!!
    Why is this all starting to rule my life and become a nightmare? anybody in a similar situation? how can i stop all this?

My opinion is that in cases like yours it is best to be followed by a dietician. That will give you peace of mind and make sure you are feeding your body the appropriate amount of foods. When you go low and deprive yourself, it is so easy to miss out on important minerals and vitamins from food and that can get your system out of whack with low energy, stalled weight loss, mood changes, anxiety etc.

This shouldn't be a competition or a constant source of preoccupation for you; it really needs to be fun and empowering. If you feel you are losing your grip with this new way of eating, please consult a dietician. The risk is that your pendulum can swing toward eating all 59 pounds back out of frustration or developing an eating disorder and not eating because food begins to scare you.

Take care of you. Be well.