stuck in a rut! :(

Options
I've been on my weight loss journey for a year now and i've dropped 59lbs i did this just by counting calories and was losing 2lbs a week....so far so good!.
The problem for me is my weight loss has stalled (not losing as much or at all) since i bought my treadmill and decided to use it everyday.
The second problem is i think im starting to take all this healthy eating to another level....i no longer enjoy social events bevause it means food sometimes i find myself not eating much more than about 800 calories i know im beginning to develop an eating disorder although i have never made myself sick or used laxatives.
Im scared if i eat more than a certain amount of calories i will pack on the pounds this week has been terrible for me everyday i have eaten at least 2000 calories or more ive logged it all and the total is something like 4000 over maintenence for a week so i may just gain a lb but why is it that most of the time i can be so controlling and then every so often i completely sabotage myself and feel bad!!
Could it seem to me that im eating way too much because i normally eat so little? im starting to obsess over what the scale says everyone else is like oh wow you've lost more weight, but i just cant see it!!
Why is this all starting to rule my life and become a nightmare? anybody in a similar situation? how can i stop all this?

Replies

• boatsie77
    boatsie77 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    It's not a food problem, it's a mind problem--read up about learning to be mindful so you can find some peace. A good place to start would be to read "The Power of Now" by Eckhart Tolle
  • TheLittleLebowski
    Options
    Try a week eating at maintenance and indulge yourself a little, I think you're probably pushing yourself too hard.
    I'd also suggest using the scale a little less, at least for the time being, You've done amazingly well and you should enjoy yourself, you've improved your health and deserve massive kudos, eat at maintenance for a week or 2, limit your exercise and when the 2 weeks are over hopefully you'll feel energised and ready to get back on the bike.
  • liesevanlingen
    liesevanlingen Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I suggest using measurements or clothing sizes as well as weight, because, especially if you work out, you may be adding some muscle mass. Muscle weighs more than fat, but it takes up less space. Once my trainer at the gym started doing monthly measurements, I started seeing more differences. One month my weight hadn't changed at all, but when I did measurements, I'd lost an inch off my tummy, lost 4 pounds of fat and added 4 lbs of muscle. You could try getting one of those scales that tells you weight, body fat%, muscle mass%, BMI, etc. I got one at Walmart for about 30 dollars (Canadian), so they aren't hideously expensive.
  • PreciousTreasure8117
    Options
    Hi there!

I have also been stuck for the past 3 months when it comes to the scale... But I realize how much more energetic now and how awesome my clothes are fitting. I am learning that I am gaining muscle and my body is taking the time to catch up with all the progression of the past few months! Just so I would enjoy myself I have hid the scale for a few months. Now when it comes to the eating... We are changing our lifestyle... we must understand that we will go to parties and eat certain foods that we use to. There is nothing wrong with this as long as you understand that you are still going to lose weight and continue your journey. You should treat yourself at least once a week... basically no logging when it comes to food and enjoy those foods that you deem "naughty" You are not going to instantaneously revert back to your old weight... (I have this fear. I treat myself to at least one sweet a day and I pick a day where I can just eat what I want to. Keep your head up!!! This journey is about adapting and overcoming these challenges :o). :drinker:
  • sowill
    sowill Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Your body has become used to your regime. Vary it up a little, eat more some days, some days eat less, do more and less exericse at different times. This will kick start your metabolism into thinking it needs more than its used to. You may gain a pound or two or stay the same for the first week but after that you'll be back on track!
  • pj12string
    pj12string Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I've been in a rut since Hurricane Sandy. I used to work out every morning but I haven't since the storm. I just ordered a video series called Les Mills Combat and now I feel a renewed spirit as I'm eager to begin.

I think that the martial arts based program will be exactly what I've been looking for. If you are in a rut, I recommend that you find a workout that excites you then you will be eager to do it. And once your working out regularly, burning hundreds of calories a day, you won't feel the need to be anxious about eating.
  • strattcm
    Options
    I'm sorry you're having such a hard time. Read this book: "Fattitudes" by Jeffrey R. Wilbert. It may help you to discover and understand what may be the root and cause of your issue. Above all, keep working on it and don't quit! It's a lifestyle change filled with many ups and downs, successes and failures, and you may fall off...Just don't stay off. *Blessings*