Strength Training

Options
I just added strength training to my routing. I know I should have been doing it all along, but I really don't like to do it. I enjoy cardio more.

Anyway, is it normal to gain a few pounds when starting strength training, because you are adding muscle?

Replies

• shibby_0428
    Options
    My personnal trainer at the YMCA told me that I should do cardio everyday and weights/strength training every other day to avoid bulking up and putting on too much "muscle" weight. She said that in the begining that I'll put on a few pounds from the weights, but it should balance out over the first few weeks, as long as I do it every other day and not every day.....hope this helps.
  • Beccaly2010
    Options
    Yes! While I was in boot camp in 2001 my starting weight was 142 and my ending weight was 142. I couldn't believe the stupid scale didn't move for all the workouts and beatdowns I was getting! I didn't lose weight, but I lost some serious inches.

Same thing now, it took two months before I saw the scale move after doing a lot of strenght training. I guess it just depends on your body too. Don't fret though!
  • amicklin
    amicklin Posts: 452
    Options
    I don't think you should see any immediate weight gains from strength, muscle will take time to build. The gain you see is from the muscles retaining fluids and water after being torn down, so they can repair and be reading for fourther, extended use.

Strength training is wonderful!! The higher percentage of muscle to body weight, will allow you to burn more throughout the day, even while at rest. My weight has always fluctuated, sometimes fluctuations would go up to 10 pounds! AFter starting ewight training, I noticed it doesnt fluctuate as much - which really helps me keep track of my weight and actual gains!
  • ptf9
    ptf9 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Its not only is it normal but its desirable. As you build some muscle you'll burn more calories - all day long.
  • HulaCherry
    Options
    Strength training is super important. Remember that the muscle will be much smaller that the fat, so you should really take your measurements to help you not get discouraged if you feel like you aren't losing weight at the rate you would like. And yes, your body still burns calories after your are done strength training so just think - you could be sitting on your couch after your great workout with your body still rewarding you by burning more calories from your awesome strength training session.

There are so many benefits.

Keep up the good work. :-D

548355.png
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    As amicklin said, you will often see some scale weight gain after making a substantial change like adding weight training. However, it is NOT muscle gain. Muscle gain does not happen that quickly, nor to that degree in most recreational exercisers. You are seeing changes in fluid shifts, glycogen storage, etc.