Calculating Calories burned?

Options
I'm just curious how to approximately calculate calories burned without a heart rate monitor.

I've been doing random running/walking regimes with incline, but when I come to input them, there's no option...so I'm just guessing. I'd rather have at least a little bit more accurate idea! Specifically when I add an incline in.

ex: 4.5mph with 3.0 incline.

Replies

• TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Just a basic calculation without considering weight, speed, incline, etc. is to use 100 Calories per mile walked or ran. There are calculations to determine the exact number would mean knowing exact times you spent at certain speeds and inclines so if you aren't tracking your various intervals specifically, that is the closest you can get. If you want to start logging both the speed and incline for every minute you exercise, you can look up the ACSM Walking and Running VO2 formulas and convert those to Calories.
  • likemeinvisible
    Options
    100 cal per mile running for a 150 lbs person. Walking is 65. Correct according to your weight - if you weigh twice you burn twice. These are minimum numbers, you will burn more if you are not trained, going too fast for aerobic, if there's an incline, soft ground etc.
  • josephroldan23
    josephroldan23 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    bump
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,104 Member
    Options
    use the exercise database here or other online calculator. I also like this one:

http://calorielab.com/burned/