I GAINED???? HELP!

Options
The past 2 weeks have not been perfect, but! I DID join a gym and went probably 8 times in 2 weeks and have been keeping my cals to 1200 a day (some days am over) but that is still MAJORLY LESS than in my past (I used to probably eat 2000-3000 cals a day). And I SWEAR I gained 5 lbs!!! WTF!??!!?

Replies

• onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing it's bloating, excess water weight. Is it close to that time of the month?
  • lc52820
    lc52820 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    You really shouldn't go under 1200 calories a day or you're not going to be getting sufficient nutrition. Use MFP's guide to setting goals to help you figure out how many calories you should have as your daily goal. Drink plenty of water and eat plenty of fruits & veggies.

Also sometimes it's just going to be frustrating...you'll do everything right but won't see immediate results. It's taken me the better part of a year to make this much progress but you've just got to stick with it. I've had my fair share of weeks that I've gained instead of lost but I always got "back on the wagon" and used the bad weeks as motivation. Think of it as a lifestyle change and something that you can maintain over a long time rather than a crash diet. If you're losing gradually over a longer period of time, you'll be more likely to keep it off in the long run.
  • xsmilexforxmex
    xsmilexforxmex Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Muscle gain or water weight probably.. if you just started working out your body is probably holding excess fluid that you aren't used to seeing. on that note raise your calories some on days you workout, you may not be eating enough if you're only at 1200... give it a few weeks and see what happens. You will always gain a few lbs before you lose when starting to workout. IDk why but it happens to pretty much everyone.
  • drummer_lady
    drummer_lady Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    When you start a new workout regime, your muscles retain extra water for cushioning and to help repair themselves. It's extremely common to go up a few pounds on the scale for the first few weeks when you start working out, or change your workout.

Here's a link that explains it in more detail:

http://www.choose2befit.com/exercise/why-you-gain-weight-with-a-new-program
  • Kellyeee2013
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
    My 1200 calorie thing is what this site recommended based on all my info.
    And no, it is not near that time of month. haha