belly fat! help!

Options
I think I set my weight loss goal to 18lbs, and I think that if I just firmed up I'd be really happy, I'm not looking for huge drastic changes really! My biggest issue is my BELLY!! It sticks out and looks weird with the rest of my body, when I stand up its a big round bump and when I sit down I get a big spare tyre as well! I've done soooo many sit ups over time, and loads of cardio to burn the fat off but nothing touches it. Please somebody, what is the most effective way to maximise fat loss from the belly?? its been the bane of my existence since I was about 12!!

Replies

• drvvork
    drvvork Posts: 1,162
    Options
    Have you discussed this with your doctor? How is your blood-sugar have you had it tested? I have not been diagnosed with diabetes but it is a prevalent health concern in my family and I had that protruding belly but watching my sugars and carbs have helped reduce mine. So that is why I was asking. :flowerforyou:
  • urso99
    urso99 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I am int he same boat as you. I am currently looking at the Belly Fat Diet book. I have such a big flabby tummy too. I look pregnant, but I'm not and my last baby is 6 1/2 yrs old!!

One thing I did cut out was all carbonated drinks. Pop and beer. I wanted to see if the carbonation from them was bloating me, and they were to an extent, but I still have a gut.

I have heard that it is HARD to spot train, meaning lose only in one spot on your boy, but the more you lose all over, the more your tummy will go down.
  • hdelamore
    hdelamore Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    you could have what my friend has (sorry i dont know the technical term)
    when she eats wheat her stomach bloates
    not massively, but it's noticeable
    so if you eat bread often that could be it?
  • bodycon
    Options
    I do have IBS, which I take tablets for before each meal, and I limit my fat intake, its just really annoying because its the one place nothing will move from! ha, i was hoping for some miracle cure, bit silly of me really! I've been to the doctor about it in the past which is when i was diagnosed with IBS, but the fat is still there! ggrrrrr :grumble:
  • spritie
    spritie Posts: 167
    Options
    I have this same problem, even know that i am loosing overall body fat it isn't going from this area as fast as other areas, which means that at the moment its looking bigger than before I started loosing fat, as it hasn't shrunk in proportion to the rest of my body..

The only way really is too keep up the fat loss till everything evens up....

probably isn't going to disapear unless really low levels of body fat are achieved though, so some level of accpetance probably has to occur....

still struggling with that bit myself...
  • Jasminka
    Options
    Hi there,

I'm new here, but as I understand it belly fat is the hardest to shift and the last to go. Hundreds of sit ups won't do it - it might strengthen your abs but they won't show until your body fat percentage is low enough. I think the answer is just to keep training hard, and eventually the belly fat will go. This is my plan - can't tell you whether it works yet - but here's hoping!
  • Supermel
    Supermel Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I am having fabulous results with 30DayShred. It is a 20 minute video i've been doing daily. By day 15 I had lost 2 inches off my "waist" (one inch above my belly button) and 2 inches off my lower belly/hips. I'm seeing tone and defintion and some weight loss. I can still see my 'pouch' (3 kids in 5 years, lol) but it has definetley shrunk.
  • Supermel
    Supermel Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    double post.
    default Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Belly fat is the hardest to loose for most people because for most people it is the most efficient way for your body to store excess fat/energy. Being the most efficient place for your body to store fat, it is the first place it stores the excess energy and the last place to remove it. There is no proven way to spot reduce, in fact doing a high number of abdominal excercises may actually make your abdomen appear larger.

Spot Reduction Myth
    Contrary to what the infomercials suggest there is no such thing as spot reduction. Fat is lost throughout the body in a pattern dependent upon genetics, sex (hormones), and age. Overall body fat must be reduced to lose fat in any particular area. Although fat is lost or gained throughout the body it seems the first area to get fat, or the last area to become lean, is the midsection (in men and some women, especially after menopause) and hips and thighs (in women and few men). Sit-ups, crunches, leg-hip raises, leg raises, hip adduction, hip abduction, etc. will only exercise the muscles under the fat.