Fat Trainers

Options
I have went to school for a long time, I am still going to college now to finish my degree. I can not stand fat personal trainers. I have been a trainer for 2 years and I will graduate in a year with my degree in Bio-mechanics. I specialize in extreme transformations. I can not stand going to the gym and seeing a pure overweight personal trainer. How is the people you are going to train, able to have any respect for you when you are in terrible shape. You even see it on the MFP boards and Im sorry I was reading one forum post and I saw one of the people I was talking about and it got me cranked up. What do you all think about it?

Replies

• amann1976
    amann1976 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    now that you got that off your chest whats next????
  • BigRich822
    Options
    I dont know, I feel the same way about overweight law enforcement agency. I absoulutley despise them!
  • DrenRigs
    DrenRigs Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    I'm sure there are overweight people who may feel more comfortable starting out with someone who obviously struggles the same way they do. This could make them more useful to some clients but it obviously doesn't mean you have to be their client. Just because they are overweight doesn't mean they don't know anything about nutrition or exercise physiology.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    The coach only needs to know how to motivate you and get you to play the game. They don't have to play it.

Grow up.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    Those who can, do. Those that can't, teach.

I don't care what a PT looks like as long as they encourage instead of insult, and never lie about how many more reps I'm supposed to do.
  • virichi08
    virichi08 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I understand where you and other people are coming from. I personally would want a trainer who is already in shape. I would feel like why should i take advice from him if he doesn't look like he took his own advice..... BUUUT that doesn't always mean he doesn't know what to do and others might also feel more comfortable with someone who is in the same boat with them....
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i wouldnt work with a PT who does those circuit style workouts since i can do those thing on my own. my PT would be for powerlifting, so their overweightedness would be a non issue for me.
  • Poorgirls_Diet
    Poorgirls_Diet Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I totally know what you mean!! My dietician is very overweight and it really puts me off going to her, she sits across her desk giving out if I didn't lose a pound that week but to be honest I find it very off putting without sounding rude but here she is saying calling me overweight (I know I am which is why I am paying for the help) when she clearly could use a mirror to look into herself and point a finger back at her! I have noticed two personal trainers at the gym that I go to that could clearly drop some pounds and when the one that I have leaves for Auz next year I haven't a clue what I will do as he has been marvelous!
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't pay for a fat personal trainer. What's the point? Then again, what do YOU think of as fat? Personal opinion right there. Then again, I wouldn't pay for a personal trainer period.
  • xxloveiswarr
    Options
    Only thing worse is a fat nutritionist

agreed.
  • fwalz3
    fwalz3 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I dont know, I feel the same way about overweight law enforcement agency. I absoulutley despise them!

How does this make you feel?

FatCop.jpg
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    I see your point but I have a different point of view.

I tend to compare it to coaching - look at the NFL - Mike Tomlin was not an NFL superstar but he is an excellent coach. Same goes for Bill Belichick from New England.

Look at baseball - Jim Leyland was not an excellent player but is regarded as a great manager.

Other than that, maybe some of the individuals have health issues (thyroid, etc..).

Just a different perspective....
  • fraser112
    Options
    he will be a beast when hes done a cut after that bulk
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Meh, I'm sort of neutral on this. There could be some legit reason for their weight gain. and it they may have substantial knowledge. More likely though, that's not true. What I'm 100% sure of, is I would choose a fat, smart trainer over a greek-god broctor.

What I don't get is why high-level athletics coaches aren't pinned to this standard the way PT's are.
  • teneh
    teneh Posts: 39
    Options
    This is my reason for losing weight! I want to be taken seriously when I'm a PT
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I don't judge a person's knowledge by the way their body is shaped.

I see your point, but I don't agree with it. Someone may have a lot of knowledge but very little willpower.
  • mominwi419
    Options
    What is your definition of "fat"?

I've lost close to 170 pounds, am in the "normal" range of BMI, and went from a size 26 pant to a size 8.

While I don't consider myself cut and lean, I also don't consider myself "fat". Would I fit into your definition of what a PT should be?
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    uhh....
    236195.jpg

Don't care about what they look like, care about what they know and how they teach.
This discussion has been closed.