Qsymia experience? Please share....

Options
Been on it two weeks, want to know what others are experiencing to see if I am normal. Thanks

Replies

• whitford1977
    whitford1977 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've been on it for less than a week and lost 3% of my body weight already. not hungry at all, so eating small healthy meals and feeling great.
  • 66skye
    66skye Posts: 4
    Options
    1st day.

What have both of your results been in the past month? Side effect problems?
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    For many of you hoping for a miracle weight loss drug, this is not it, but it has been shown to be helpful.
    Qysmia is strongly recommended only for those who meet the following criteria.

First, if someone (man or woman) has a body mass index (BMI) of 30 or greater they qualify. As an example, a 5-foot, 4-inch woman who weighs above 180 pounds, or a 5-foot,’8-inch woman who weighs above 200 pounds meets the criteria.

Second, if someone (man or woman) has a BMI of 27 or greater and has high blood pressure, type 2 diabetes and/or high cholesterol, they would qualify.

It is not recommended at all for women who are pregnant or breastfeeding, for those who have glaucoma, have an overactive thyroid (hyperthyroidism). It's also not for someone who is taking an MAOI type of anti-depressant, or who has an unstable heart condition such as irregular heart rates.

Typical side effects of Phentermine are rapid heart rate, anxiety, nervousness, insomnia, and cottonmouth or dry mouth. The most common side effects of topiramate are numbness and tingling in the limbs, diarrhea dizziness, depression, nausea, memory problems and slowed movements.

Both medications cause loss of appetite which is why they work so well for weight loss.

Health care providers are advised to start with the lowest dose of Qysmia which is 3.75 milligrams of Phentermine and 23 milligrams of topiramate for two weeks. At that time depending on the input from the provider and patient, the dose may be doubled.

After two more weeks the dose can be increased again to 11.25 milligrams / 69 milligrams and then in another two weeks increased again to a maximum dosage of 15 milligrams / 92 milligrams. If weight loss is not achieved, then the patient must wean off Qysmia to reduce risk of seizures before stopping it completely.

Some patients may choose to stay at lower doses depending on side effects.

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2012/11/19/qysmia-is-new-weight-loss-drug-right-for/

Basically, don't do unless your doctor is the one prescribing this to you and is overseeing your progress.

Instead, eat less and move more.

If you want, check out this link by MFPer Heliotsdan - It'll give you a detailed walkthrough (with pictures even) on finding your TDEE and calculating what you should be eating.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

Or for a different version to figure out your TDEE, as well as some great advice...check out:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/833500-what-do-i-do-common-sense-cliff-notes

Also, if you are worried about the calorie intake, I also suggest you read this thread that has numerous people who met their goals and are maintaining. Some for years and they also provide their calorie intake and how often they work out.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/816542-let-s-hear-it-for-maintainenance

For more information about fitness and nutrition, I highly suggest checking out and joining this group: (Read all the stickies. It's great information to know.)
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/10118-eat-train-progress

Yes, this is can all be overwhelming and complicated , but you are more than welcome to ask questions on the post.
    One of the things that I have found that has been one of the best methods for me to get fit is to understand fitness. To understand where all these figures, etc come from.

The good thing is once you get the hang of it - it is something you'll be aware of constantly and you'll get a better understanding about your eating habits.

So I HIGHLY suggest making the effort to take every chance to educate yourself. Even if you don't end up going with any of these methods, calculations, etc - at least you understand what they are, where others are coming from, and maybe they will still be able to help you figure out what is best for you.
  • Cjoseph03
    Cjoseph03 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Love the resources you provided!
  • cubbies77
    cubbies77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    There's a thread about this right under this one...
  • ChoiceEcon
    ChoiceEcon Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I added Qsymia as a phase two to my weight loss, after trying diet and exercise alone. In conjunction with diet and exercise it has been highly effective (more than 20 pounds lost and and counting, but I'm also working hard at the gym).

In phase one, diet and exercise alone, swimming for about an hour and fifteen minutes a day and eating a high protein dirt with only complex carbs, I lost 16 pounds (267.7 to about 251.7) but regained the weight quickly over Christmas, going back to 260, even though I tried hard, really, really hard, to be good.

I then added Qsymia. Since then weight loss has been steady at about half a pound a day. The only weight gain came toward the end of my titration period, that is at the end of the second week on the drug before switching to the higher does.

I have now lost an additional 20 pounds in 6 weeks 260.0 to 239.6 between January 2, 2013 and February 15, 2013.

I have continued to work out approximately daily, have added muscle mass, and have seen my the quality of my workouts improve.

I now joke that I've given up food for Lent. It's not far from the truth. The downside is that at this speed sometimes I feel as if I'm on the edge of consciousness as and just after I'm working out, though that might have something to do with the ability I have to work out at a higher rate lately. For instance I noticed earlier today during my work out that my heart rate was running at about 94% of its max (169/174), but when I have my vitals measured, they're astounded at my improvement, so something must be going right. I'm sure feeling better, and I think I actually float higher in the water when I swim.

On other side negative side effect is that I'm finding it a good bit harder to sleep, as my body and mind both stay fully charged. This is also sometimes a good effect as well though, as it means I can work through the night.

One the positive side, I've had untreated ADD for years (ever since I was a kid). This drug seems to also have had a very positive side effect of helping me control the effects of my ADD. I now get tons more during the day, my desk, which used to be a mess, is now finally straight, and the energy I used to lack, for instance energy to get to the gym, well, I've found it. All in all, I'd rate this drug a 12 on a scale of 10s.

This is great news and a real break through, especially for a guy whose father is now an insulin-dependent diabetic that is the son of a family full of overweight people. I can't believe anyone is not on this drug.
  • liberty1966
    liberty1966 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I too just started this program with the blessing and overseeing of my Dr , he watched in vain as I worked out 60 minutes 5 days a week and kept my calories under 1600 ( including negative ) for over 3 months anyway so here we go and am so grateful to find someone who also started. I love to excercise and I love to walk but I am at that age where I keep my weight is not healthy and I have 50 just to get to a healthy area but my dream area would be to lose 70lb but at this point I am going to be so excited just to see 2 pounds moved on the scale. Just praying the only side affect is for it to be hard to go to sleep. Have you stumbled upon anything other noticeabl things?What time do you take yours in the am? . I 'd love to know if it makes that much difference.
  • mckim3
    Options
    There is actually a book wrote by the Dr sold online - I got mine at Amazon. It goes through all the details and guidelines for successful weightloss.

I started Qysmia going on 4 weeks now. I'm at the 7.5 dosage and think I will stay here as I'm down 8 pds. The thing I really like is the energy I get. I've been exercising 5 days/wk for months now but lacked the energy to really keep going with the rest of my day. The reason I'm not in a rush to up the dosage is I don't want to get to where I can sleep and get snappy with my kids and hubby.

I get all the concerns here. Exercise more, eat less, I get that too. Sometimes you need a jump start - just like my doc says. And for me - I feel better than I have in years! Good luck to each and every one of you no matter which path you choose.
  • Marianasche
    Options
    I started on Qsymia 5 days ago, and I lost 3 1/2 pounds.
  • barbage
    barbage Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am almost at the end of my second week. I have been disappointed that it has not curbed my appetite as much as I had hoped. I am not eating nearly as much at meals as I had been, I am getting fuller faster, but I still get really hungry between meals and around bedtime. I hope graduating to the higher dose will help.
  • jenna070469
    Options
    I am 40 years old and have struggled with eating disorders and compulsive overeating for years. My doctor recommended Qsymia because she had another patient in the clinical trials who is a compulsive overeater who did great on the medication.

I have taken Qsymia only a week and it makes me feel sane around food. So far I've lost 5 pounds without exercise or eating different food, just a lot less of it. I feel hungry periodically, but am full after not eating much.

For the side effects, I get light headed, almost like I'm under water, if I eat something high fat. I'm extremely thirsty and drink a lot of water, but really have no desire for the diet pepsi that is usually my go-to drink. I do feel tired around 5pm, which is unusual. Since I'm a busy working mom I don't get to take a nap, but wish I could! The worst side effect is I'm having extremely vivid, almost creepy dreams. The appetite control makes the dreams worth it, but I don't like them.

I have diabetes and because I'm eating less have been taking less insulin and have improved blood sugars. I'm at the very beginning of my Qsymia experience and am curious to see how the results will be going forward.
  • kacarr61
    kacarr61 Posts: 6
    Options
    I started 17 days ago (1st 14 days on the low dose and lost 11 pounds) and now three days at the higher (7) dose. I weighed 328 pounds and the benefits definitely outweigh the risks. My health insurance is only going to cover for six months which is all I'll think I"ll need - I see this as a crutch to get some of the weight off so I can actually get around without so much back and knee pain and be able to exercise daily. I also drank a bottle of wine every night which I stopped when I started Qsymia - I was surprised how easy it was. No cravings! It helps suppress my appetite - I have to eat even when I'm not hungry to meet my caloric/nutrition goals for the day. The past three days at the higher dose I have felt a bit dizzy and hope my body will adjust to it. If not, I'll go back to the starter dose. Looking forward to reading what everyone else is experiencing!
  • kacarr61
    Options
    above was my first message board post. Why doesn't my weight loss ticker show within my post?
  • jenna070469
    Options
    After 2 weeks on the low dose of Qsymia I'm down 10 pounds. And it has been such a stressful 2 weeks... crazy work projects, final exams in 2 classes I'm taking, and I had PMS and got my period. Under normal circumstances I would have gained another 5 pounds out of stress eating.

The side effects wore off after the first week. Thankfully no more weird dreams. I'm now supposed to go up to the 3.75 dose and am hoping the transition is smooth.
  • kacarr61
    Options
    I've lost 23 pounds after 6 weeks. The dizziness got worse - the doctor did blood work and found my potassium was low. After a few days on a mega dose of potassium, the dizziness is gone.
  • kathrynhall45
    kathrynhall45 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have been on Qsymia for 4 weeks now and have lost 13 lbs. This has been a real miracle drug for me! I habe noices some slight side effects - dry mouth - tingling in my hands and I also have a bit of a dry cough - not sure if that is related to the medicine. I can live with these side effects because I have struggled to lose this weight for years. I am 5' 4" and was up to 186 lbs. I was completely obsessed with food and had no energy to exercise at all. I never felt good and suffered constanly from headaches. I have not had a migraine in 3 weeks and I have so much energy. I was worried after I started the higher does on week 3 that I might feel anxious - or have trouble sleeping - I have none of those problems. For me Qsymia has been a life saver. I have noticed I have been sort of stuck at this weight for several days and I am wondering if I should stay on this dose or up it; but I think I will try uping my exercise first as I am concerned about having trouble sleeping or with anxiety by increasing the dose and I know that I really have not been exercising that much.
  • 00tamar00
    00tamar00 Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi Everyone. To give a little bit of background I have PCOS, and have always had a hard time either loosing weight, or if I did loose weight, keeping it off was a major production. I have been taking Metformin for years. I have tried so many weight loss drugs. Phentermine alone(15mg), which made me absolutely nuts. I used to call them my "Crazy Pills." I was completely non-functional on them. You couldn't even have a conversation with me because I was so speedy. Topiramate alone, which I honestly didn't feel had any effect on me what so ever. Wellbutrin, which did have slight appetite suppressant effect and helped me loose a few pounds, but I couldn't keep them off for more than a few weeks.

With that said, I have been taking Qsymia since February 2013, so a little less than 6 months now. Starting weight in February was 212lbs (I am 5'6) and I have been on the 7.5mg dose the whole time after the first two weeks. I am now down to 177 (35lbs lost, my goal weight is 150). I can tell you that I definitely feel a difference in appetite (i have none). I mean I will start a meal and after 3 bites, I'm full. I can't even look at the food anymore. Sometimes I have to force myself to eat.

Sometimes it feels like I don't loose any weight at all for two weeks in a row (but i don't gain). And then all of a sudden, I will just drop 5lbs quickly over a week. Now mind you that I really haven't been doing any exercise. I know that I should be :) Sometimes my sleeping is not great. I have insomnia some nights, or I wont sleep continuously through the night. Maybe exercise will help with that.
    Anyway, good luck everyone!
  • GamerGirly
    GamerGirly Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I was taking Topamax for nearly 6 months. I wrecked my car twice while taking it. I lost the ability to coordinate and lost my short term memory.

It's been nearly 5 years since I have been off of it. I still have short term memory problems that my doctor said would get better... 5 years ago.

Be careful.
  • joliecrowder
    Options
    Are any of you guys in the Northern Virginia area? I went to my primary care doc to ask for a prescription and she said she wouldn't prescribe because it is too new. Sigh. I've been looking around and can't seem to easily locate a physician who will prescribe. Sadly, I'd have to pay out of pocket for the physician AND the prescription since my insurance doesn't cover either. Any suggestions appreciated.
  • nickenewme
    Options
    I started Qysmia 8/3/13 at 201 lbs. I am 32, 5'6" and have been 50lbs over weight the past 10 years and I have done everything to try and loose the extra weight. I just could not loose it and I did not want to be 40 and 60lbs over weight. I went in for my yearly check up and to my surprise I had high cholesterol. I was devastated because I know I was over weight but in all my years I have never had "high" anything. I made another fallow up with my doctor and we talked about my options and I was determined to get help even it was with the help of a pill. I know Qysmia is not a magic pill but I was a perfect candidate for it. I was overweight, BMI of 27+ and high cholesterol. My Dr was very informative about the drug and wants me to come back every two weeks for the next few weeks to watch my vitals closely since the drug can cause heart issues and eyes problems. If all looks like good after the first few fallow up visits I will not have to be seen but every three months for my refills. My insurance will not pay for Qysmia but my Dr let me know about the money saving offers on Qysmia website. Without the savings I would have had to pay $190 for a 30 day supply but with the savings card I pay $75 for 3 refills and I get the first 14 days starting dose free. I will post the link at the end of my post to the saving at Qysmia website.

It only has been a few days since I have been on the pill but I have lost 6 lbs. Mostly because it has curbed my appetite greatly and it makes me feel like I have had 6 shots of espresso first thing in the morning. I truly hope this me get back on track.

https://www.qsymia.com/money-saving-offers.aspx

The Free To Start™ Program

Eligible patients can receive 14 days of the
    Qsymia® starting dose (3.75 mg/23 mg)
    for FREE

The Stick To It & Save™ Program

Patients pay no more than $75 for 30 days of the recommended dose of Qsymia (7.5 mg/46 mg). Some patients with insurance may pay as little as $35. Good for 3 prescription fills