Christmas food at neighbor's house, but NOT healthy food...

Options
Okay, my mother and I are facing a rather unique problem. We've been invited by one of our neighbors to her house for Christmas dinner. That may not seem like much, but here's where the problem starts up:

It's going to be a Christmas ham, and the neighbor does not drain out the salt. That creates a major problem for Mom and me, since we both have high blood pressure. Mom always drains the ham the night before to get rid of the majority of the salty content, and neither of us like a very salty taste in any food.

Mom and I are also used to fresh food. For Thanksgiving, Mom used [/b]real[/b] sweet potatoes. At the neighbor's house, everything is [/b]canned[/b], with all the extra garbage in that stuff. :sick:

How should we deal with this situation properly without making it seem like we're being rude? :embarassed:

Replies

• LifeIsNotADressRehearsal
    Options
    Maybe offer to bring a couple of side dishes - prepared the way you like them. I'm sure your neighbour would appreciate the help - I know I would! :smile:
  • tommygirl15
    tommygirl15 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's rude to tell your neighbour to drain the ham, because it's not like you're nit-picking.. high blood pressure can be a problem. If your neighbour was kind enough to invite you over, then I'm sure they must care about your health on some level.

Another option is to just load up on some healthy foods before you go to the dinner, so that you'll eat less when you are there.
  • axialmeow
    axialmeow Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Just have small portions? And bring something healthy to share with everyone.
  • Susanthecatwhisperer
    Options
    Eat healthy before you go. So you'll be too full to over-indulge. Just take a small taste of stuff.
  • crimsoncat
    crimsoncat Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I cannot have chocolate or caffeine or coffee due to a heart condition and every year my relatives forget and bring chocolate, coffee and only caffeinated pop. I now bring my own carob cookies, decaf/caffeine free tea, and non-caffeinated drinks for everybody to share.

I would explain to your neighbor that you regretfully can't eat the ham because you have a medical condition and offer to bring other food like salad, rolls, potatoes etc.

BRING ENOUGH TO SHARE. Nothing is more stressful then having to guard your food from people who don't know you can't eat anything else. People WILL eat YOUR food, so plan making a TON of it.
  • jdhosier
    jdhosier Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I agree with others. Thank your neighbor for her gracious invitation and tell her how much you are looking forward to dining with her and her family. Then explain that you and your mother have high-blood pressure and are under orders from a Dr. to remain on a low salt diet. Then ask if you can bring some sides and ask her if she has a low-salt alternative to the undrained ham. My wife says that women get very offended by stuff like that, but what else can you do. If you decline the invitation, she might be offended, so you are kind of stuck either way.

Bottom line. I think you have to have a heart felt conversation with your sweet neighbor.

Guys would just tell each other.
  • crimsoncat
    crimsoncat Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    My wife says that women get very offended by stuff like that, but what else can you do. If you decline the invitation, she might be offended.... I think you have to have a heart felt conversation with your sweet neighbor.

If the neighbor is sweet then I hope she cares about their health enough to go "medical condition! Oh my goodness! No problem."

I feel no shame in saying that any person who would be offended that you didn't eat their food because it was HARMFUL to you is a self-centered, careless person indeed.

Can you imagine being offended because a child who had a peanut allergy can't eat the peanut butter sandwich you gave them? I can't either.
  • formersec
    formersec Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    You can also tell the neighbor that there are lower sodium hams out there and offer to buy one for the dinner.
  • luvmydog2
    luvmydog2 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    :wink: Just take a platter of food ...with Turkey Breast ....and what ever veggies you like ...I have same problem Salt free as have to watch my blood pressure as well ...
  • OddballExtreme
    OddballExtreme Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    BRING ENOUGH TO SHARE. Nothing is more stressful then having to guard your food from people who don't know you can't eat anything else. People WILL eat YOUR food, so plan making a TON of it.
    I'm happy to say there will only be six people altogether: Mom, myself, the neighbor, and her three other family members, so a ton probably won't be necessary.

I do appreciate all these suggestions so far. They're very helpful with this situation. Thanks! :happy:
  • BonaFideUK
    BonaFideUK Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I don't think its "nit-picking" to say salty food plays havoc with your blood pressure. I'm sure any reasonable person would understand this and accommodate if they're inviting you for dinner.
  • OddballExtreme
    OddballExtreme Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Okay, here's a new update: Our neighbor has decided not to use ham, and opted instead for a baking hen. Hmm, I've been so used to seeing the smaller Cornish game hens. I've never seen bigger hens anywhere before. Then again, the Commissary (military grocery store) on base doesn't offer everything like the stores off-base.