Extra Eggplant

Options
McFatterton
McFatterton Posts: 1,358 Member
I'm making eggplant parmesan for myself and chicken parmesan for my husband for dinner tonight (I'm a veggie, he's not), so I'm going to have a lot of eggplant leftover. Any suggestions on what to do with it? How well does raw eggplant keep once it's been cut into? I would appreciate any suggestions and/or recipes!

Thank you!!

Replies

• McFatterton
    Options
    Anyone?

Anyone at all?
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I know that eggplant turns brown very quickly. I slice mine, salt it and then lay it between wax paper. Keeps for a few days.

or cook it all up and then have it atop your salad tomorrow! Or eggplant parm sandwiches :love:

I also cut one up once and put it in my sauce....it disappeared! No one but me knew it was in the sauce:laugh:
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    :wink: It is def a slow day today
  • McFatterton
    Options
    I know that eggplant turns brown very quickly. I slice mine, salt it and then lay it between wax paper. Keeps for a few days.

or cook it all up and then have it atop your salad tomorrow! Or eggplant parm sandwiches :love:

I also cut one up once and put it in my sauce....it disappeared! No one but me knew it was in the sauce:laugh:

That's a great idea to just make a bunch of eggplant parm - I can't believe I didn't think of that. :noway: DUH! Then I can have it for lunch this week. Thanks! :flowerforyou:
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    Wish I lived closer we could do lunch! :laugh:
  • HonestOmnivore
    HonestOmnivore Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    Slice it into fries, coat with a little egg white and seasoned flour and bake at 375 until crisp! Dip in lowfat may with horseradish!
  • kiffypooh
    kiffypooh Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    Not sure how to spell it, but Ratatouille. I think you can make it and freeze it.
  • McFatterton
    Options
    Wish I lived closer we could do lunch! :laugh:

Me too - I've got plenty! :laugh:
  • McFatterton
    Options
    Slice it into fries, coat with a little egg white and seasoned flour and bake at 375 until crisp! Dip in lowfat may with horseradish!

That sounds good too - I'll have to remember that for next time.
  • dmags
    dmags Posts: 303
    Options
    you can use egglpant to make an eggplant bruschetta. I have done mine on the grill. You just drizzle the eggplant with a good olive oil, and grill, put some fresh mozzerella on the egglplant and cover with brushetta salad. You can find brushetta, already made in the deli section of most supermarkets. This is great if you are trying to cut down on your carbs.
  • spritie
    spritie Posts: 167
    Options
    if you'd grilled some of the left over strips they go amazingly in sandwiches, wraps, shredded into salads, especially with tomato and rocket

It can be used raw or cooked in salads, mixed into curry, stirfry, anything. Eggplant is amazing ...
  • kermiehiho
    kermiehiho Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    My aunty makes a mean spicy eggplant dish with ground pork. You might try sauteeing it in some mirin, shoyu, ginger, and red pepper flakes. *drool*
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Baba Ghanouj.
    Basically the exact same recipe as making hummus, except instead of using chickpeas, use roasted eggplant.