Is there a difference between binge eating and over eating?

Options

Replies

• AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    A binge is associated with emotional comfort, mental health problems and eating disorders. You mindlessly stuff food in your mouth without any control or care, until you're fit to burst!! And then you usually feel guilty about it. Very self destructive behaviour.

Overeating is eating too many calories for your frame. Easily done with all the choices available in the western world. You mostly stop eating when you're full up (although sometimes you can like the food so much that you feel stuffed!) but calories are built up in WHAT youre eating, rather than WHY you're eating it.

I think there is a clear psychological difference :flowerforyou:
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Looking at your diary, I would say that was a binge...whether it's an ongoing thing I don't know but maybe you were feeling stressed or something?

You know it when you've binged. The last time I had a binge with food, I ended up vomiting. (Same as the last time I had a binge with alcohol) I looked at her diary. Twenty-seven potato chips and some peanut butter and pretzels is called eating too much at a party, NOT a binge.
  • jellybeanmusic
    jellybeanmusic Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    For me, binging is when I have no control over what I'm doing, it's more of an emotional thing than an enjoyment thing. Overeating, for me, is when I know I shouldn't have the extra cals I'm consuming but I've chosen to allow myself it. There's nothing wrong with overeating every now and again, so long as it's not making you feel bad and you can get back on the wagon after you've had your fun.
  • scarrie2
    scarrie2 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I think there is a big difference. Binge eating is more of a "I need to eat everything in sight" a different kind of guilt. eating what you want for one night is a release of control. I binge eat more frequently than I should which is half my problem. but it it involves, oatmeal cream pies, cookies, ice cream, chips, all at once and whatever I an get my hands on at the time. It happens when I plan on doing something and can't get done, simply enough as wanting to go out to the grocery store, but something happens at home which prevents me from following through with my plan. Or exercising, but the kids get up too early for me to do that.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I think bingeing and overeating are completely different.

For example, my husband and I went out to dinner at a nice Italian restaurant the other night. We shared an appetizer, I ate a side salad with a piece of bread, I ate half of my pasta dish and drank two nice glasses of red wine. It was a big meal and had a crazy number of calories (probably close to 1500)... but it was NOT a binge. I was in complete mindful control of every bite I ate., but it was still overeating. If I ate like that regularly, I would gain weight.

I think a binge is uncontrolled, mindless eating that is usually fulfilling some emotional need.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I agree with the OP -- not a binge.. More of a situational indulgence.. happens to most of us especially in social situations. Binge is an uncontrollable urge to eat everything in sight and throw caution to the wind... Seemingly unable to stop. That is a bigger problem. Situational indulgences happens to all of us and should be factored into our new lifestyle.. Just try to not have too many of those days.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I think a binge is uncontrolled, mindless eating that is usually fulfilling some emotional need.

Exactly
  • 00Melyanna00
    00Melyanna00 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Yes, there is indeed.
    Binge-eating is a severe disease, while over-indulging happens to everybody. To some of us more often than to others.

Look at this interesting article scan that explains the differences:

June2007001.jpg
  • eatathome
    eatathome Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Looking at your diary, I would say that was a binge...whether it's an ongoing thing I don't know but maybe you were feeling stressed or something?

You know it when you've binged. The last time I had a binge with food, I ended up vomiting. (Same as the last time I had a binge with alcohol) I looked at her diary. Twenty-seven potato chips and some peanut butter and pretzels is called eating too much at a party, NOT a binge.

I agree. Binging is what bulimics and people with binge eating disorder do. There is a huge difference. Some people eat anywhere from 5,000-up to 20,000+ in a binge.
  • bellamia88
    bellamia88 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    In my opinion binge eating is a series of episodes when you keep eating but you just can't control yourself. You consume massive amounts of food sometimes food that is consumed over a day period can be consumed in just one episode. I used to binge eat and while going through that state of mind you really can't stop and it feels like someone else has taken over you. All your fixiated on is food and getting it all in your body without even realizing the consequences till after it's over and you completely feel like garbage shortly afterwards.

Over eating is more of what you were doing last night. You're aware of it and you can control it if you really wanted to in that moment. I look at over eating as like a one time thing every now and then such as a cheat day or you go out to eat and the food is so amazing you don't want to let it all go to waste so you eat more than you should and even though you may or may not feel guilty afterwards you know that you'll get on the right track the next day if that makes sense.
  • Lobster1987
    Lobster1987 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Welp,

Do you want an answer from a bonafide diagnosed binge eater?

Over eating, is eating too much, possibly because it's really good, its a special occasion, whatever...it doesn't happen very often.

Binge eating, is on a mental level. It is over eating, but its not that it tastes good, its a NEED to eat. ITs because the brain hasn't gotten enough, its like your emotions, your heart, your mind isn't finished eating yet. You obsess about the particular food item until its completely gone or until you are so full you throw up. Its a completely mental thing.

That's my perspective and I'm in treatment for binge eating disorder.
  • BetterCrazyThanLazy
    Options
    As a recovering binge eater I would tell you that overeating and binge eating are two different things (in my personal opinion).

Binge eating is when you are cleaning your cupboards and fridge to the point where you can't even breathe and then you are feeling grave regrets. You don't discriminate between foods going down your throat, you just eat... It is uncontrollable short period of time deal.

Overeating is eating a bit more than you normally do - and in your case you had company and it was a "social eating".
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I looked at your diary. No, that is not a binge. That is a normal night of enjoying food on an occasion with friends (especially considering how young and fit you already are). I think sometimes people on mfp have their cals set so low, that they perceive normal eating as a binge. I've seen people get upset that they binged and the amount they ate is a normal daily amount of food for me (and I have never binged, overeaten, or been even close to overweight). Anyone could easily eat that amount just by going to a restaurant and not knowing the calories in the meal.

I would never consider less than 3000 calories to be a binge!
  • tkcasta
    tkcasta Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Diagnostic criteria for BINGE EATING DISORDER (sometimes referred to as "compulsive overeating")

A. Recurrent episodes of binge eating. An episode of binge eating is characterized by both of the following:
    (1) eating, in a discrete period of time (e.g., within any 2-hour period), an amount of food that is definitely
    larger than most people would eat in a similar period of time under similar circumstances.
    (2) a sense of lack of control over eating during the episode (i.e., feeling that one cannot stop eating or
    control what or how much one is eating)

B. The binge-eating episodes are associated with three (or more) of the following:
    (1) eating much more rapidly than normal
    (2) eating until feeling uncomfortably full
    (3) eating large amounts of food when not feeling physically hungry
    (4) eating alone because of being embarrassed by how much one is eating
    (5) feeling disgusted with oneself, depressed, or very guilty after overeating

C. Marked distress regarding binge eating is present.

D. The binge eating occurs, on average, at least 2 days a week for 6 months.

E. The binge eating is not associated with the regular use of inappropriate compensatory behaviors (e.g., purging, fasting, excessive exercise) and does not occur exclusively during the course of Anorexia Nervosa or Bulimia Nervosa.
  • divacat80
    divacat80 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't call that a "binge". I'm a binge eater, and when I binge, I don't actually WANT to eat, I just can't stop. I will literally have a stomach ache from the amount of food I've eaten....and keep going back for more! To the point where it physically hurts so much that I can almost throw up ( I do not throw up....just feel like I could). That is what I call a "binge".
    This is what i call a binge-eating episode.

If you just go over your calories and eating until you're full then it's just over-eating. But you stop there, you're full and can't take (and won't) any more food. If you can't stop, specially if you eat anything in sight, "just because" then that's binge-eating.
  • DanielleMN
    DanielleMN Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    It is a lot to think about. I used to have bing eating disorder (before my gastric bypass surgery) but now I have "Eating Disorder Not Otherwise Specified." In my case it means that I tend to overeat on sweets whenever they are around, often eating them in place of regular, balanced meals. And if I don't have sweets around I sometimes feel nervous and panicky, like I need a "fix." I have a tendency to be malnourished because I eat sweets instead of protein, vegetables, fruits, etc. My weight tends to stay the same or gradually increase over time, unless I am actively working to eat healthier and lose weight, like I am now.

Anyway I guess I just wanted to point out that there are many different types of eating disorders and that they don't all fit into nice, neat categories. A day of overeating now and then is most likely NOT an eating disorder.
  • funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Options

I didn't look at the diary but did she really count the potato chips? Wow...that alone tells me that it was not a binge. Nobody who is counting the chips is binging.

I hate words like binge, cheat day, and such being thrown around frivolously. We use language to communicate, words have meaning, and we should try to use them accurately in order to communicate effectively. What the OP did was not a binge. Others here have already described what a binge is.

Personally, if I had a bunch of MFP friends who were trying to guilt me because I had a planned splurge (that's what I call them), I would de-friend them.

There is nothing wrong with splurging, planned ahead of time or not. In fact, there is a lot of evidence indicating that flexible dieting in which the person goes off their weight loss eating plan once in awhile are more successful in losing and in keeping it off once the weight is lost. One reason why is that they have learned that food is not an enemy. I had a big splurge on Friday night, partially planned for, partially not (I ate a bit more than intended). So what? I ate less during the day on Friday to have extra calories to cover my splurge. But, since I ate a bit more than planned, I cut my calories a bit on Saturday and did an extra workout this morning. It's not what you do on a day-to-day basis, it's what you do over the course of time.

OP, you didn't binge. And I admire your self-control in counting those chips.:drinker:
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    My opinion: you did nothing wrong. Anyone attempting to shame you with back handed trite encouragement about binging is incorrect. Criticism veiled as encouragement.... what crap.

So, if I go to AUCE night for Snow Crab, and have well over my calorie limit as set by MFP, I'm a binge-er? Or if I indulge in high calorie yummy cocktails along with other normal snacks, I'm a binge-er? come on..... no. no. no.

^^^ I agree! I'm going to Carrabba's this coming Thurs for my nephews bday so I know i'll go over on calories. Probably for the first time since the last time I went out to eat, which was last month sometimes. Hardly binge eating!!
  • NocturnalGirl
    Options
    There is a big difference between the two that people seem to ignore.

Binge eating usually involves eating large amounts of food in a short period of time, with a sense of being out of control. It often happens at times of stress, anger, boredom or sadness and is used as a coping strategy in most cases.

On the other hand, I would think overeating is an overconsumption of food - whether deliberate or unintentional - with little or no feelings attached to it.

Also, in my opinion, overeating is more factual in regards to the number eaten. Whereas, for a binge, the amount eaten is what *feels* to be a lot of food.

I wouldn't classify your day as binge eating, you seem cool about it which is great :)
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I'm familiar with the world of eating disorders through loved ones, but never myself personally. I asked this same question on my friend's list recently and the answers given here were the answers I received there. Several of my friends are in ED recovery and helped me understand. This thread also helps me understand. It made me a lot more careful about how I used the word "binge". As another poster put it, I don't want to slap anyone in the face with how serious and heart-rending the word "binge" really is.