Weight Lifting - Reps OR high Weight?(girl)

Options
So whats more effective, i'm a woman so i'm not trying to bulk

Replies

• mrau719
    mrau719 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    You're not going to get huge so don't worry about that.

Lift as heavy as you can for anywhere from 3-4 sets of 8-15.

I generally do 4 sets of 8 or 3 sets of 12-15
  • hiker359
    hiker359 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWRdJUXscRY

ETA: Money Quote "Lifting heavy won't make you bulk up...eating too much makes you bulk up."
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    Gradually increase weight. Women have much lower testosterone levels than men so bulking will not be an issue.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    What are your goals?
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • bcutler06
    Options
    It's generally a good idea to mix it up. Try to do at least one day a week with the heaviest weight you can lift for 6-8 reps X three sets, and then at least one day a week with weights you can lift for 12-15 reps X 3 sets. On the heavy days, rest longer between sets, and on the lighter days, take shorter rests. There are some great workouts for women on womenshealth.com that incorporate both styles. The idea is to always keep your muscles guessing, and nt let them get accustomed to any one style of workout. So each week you should do some circuit training, some cardio, and a couple different types of lifting. You will not bulk up unless you REALLY want to and use a VERY specific lifting style coupled with a crazy eating regimen. Good luck and have fun!
  • ptak1sm
    ptak1sm Posts: 172
    Options
    I've done both. I'm currently doing 3x12, i've done 5x10, 5x5, 3x8. Whatever you do, you won't get bulky. It takes a lot more than just lifting for anyone to get bulky.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    It is physically impossible to bulk up if you eat at a calorie deficit. The law of physics prove this. So, don't worry about that aspect at all. Just lift heavy things and put them back down.
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    It's generally a good idea to mix it up. Try to do at least one day a week with the heaviest weight you can lift for 6-8 reps X three sets, and then at least one day a week with weights you can lift for 12-15 reps X 3 sets. On the heavy days, rest longer between sets, and on the lighter days, take shorter rests. There are some great workouts for women on womenshealth.com that incorporate both styles. The idea is to always keep your muscles guessing, and nt let them get accustomed to any one style of workout. So each week you should do some circuit training, some cardio, and a couple different types of lifting. You will not bulk up unless you REALLY want to and use a VERY specific lifting style coupled with a crazy eating regimen. Good luck and have fun!

Muscle confusion is sort of a myth. You can continue to do the same lifts and get results. Increasing the resistance is what is necessary. Also, regardless of the "lifting style", if you are eating at a deficit, you won't be gaining muscle.
  • Mutant13
    Mutant13 Posts: 2,485 Member
    Options
    Lift as heavy as you can do safely and properly, and continue to increase the weights as soon as it stops being challenging.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Low reps and heavy. Gets you done faster and makes you look phenomenal.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/812464-show-me-ur-heavy-lifting-results-please

Women don't get bulky unless they work really damn hard at becoming bulky.
  • kbitzonefour
    kbitzonefour Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Doesn't matter that you're a girl. Hate when people post this crap. Lift heavy.
    "Everybody wants to be a bodybuilder but nobody wants to lift no heavy *kitten* weights," -Ronnie Coleman
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options

Muscle confusion is sort of a myth. You can continue to do the same lifts and get results. Increasing the resistance is what is necessary. Also, regardless of the "lifting style", if you are eating at a deficit, you won't be gaining muscle.

Yeah, I was reading up on the whole muscle confusion myth recently. Interesting. Tony Horton really had people going there for a little while.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I'd say muscle confusion is less myth and more marketing scheme.

As for the lifts, I say lift as heavy as you can for 5-8 reps. That stimulates strength gains. 8-12 will stimulate hypertrophy, which can make your muscles seem larger. Anything over 12 will work muscular endurance, but really isn't all that effective, unless you are a serious endurance athlete.
  • Ravepixie87
    Options
    I used to know this girl who used to spend literally hours at the gym lifting tiny weights, and although she saw improvement so did I lifting as heavy as I could. Only takes me 15 mins to do my daily weights, and I dont look like the hulk. Woman bulking is such a myth, only if you are eating big or supplementing are you gonna bulk
  • Troll
    Troll Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    In case you havent read the other 134543356788987899077656 posts that say this: YOU CANNOT BULK WITHOUT TRYING SPECIFICALLY TO DO SO.

i lift heavy, 3-5 reps for about three weeks, then i lighten up and do 15-20 reps for one week.

And its taken me three years of specifically eating and training to gain 10lbs.
  • elprincipito
    elprincipito Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    moderate weight slow controlled reps. If you can do more than 8 increase weight.
  • Barbellerella
    Barbellerella Posts: 1,838 Member
    Options
    Heavy, low rep is wayyyy fun and results are great. It's awesome that i lift more than some of the boys in my gym, and there is no bulk here!! Just nice pretty definition!!

If you are new to lifting, New Rules of Lifting for Women is a great beginner program to start with and you will learn a lot from the book.
  • AnnaVee84
    AnnaVee84 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Heavy, low rep is wayyyy fun and results are great. It's awesome that i lift more than some of the boys in my gym, and there is no bulk here!! Just nice pretty definition!!

If you are new to lifting, New Rules of Lifting for Women is a great beginner program to start with and you will learn a lot from the book.

^^ NROLFW is great, I just started it! Lift heavy with less reps!