Does it matter how I count calories relative to time?

If that makes any sense... Anyway, when I started MyFitnessPal, I was counting my calories on a day-to-day basis. Like how it's laid out for us.

But recently I started counting them from the time I woke up to the time I go to sleep (and I go to sleep in the AM).

Which way is better? Or does it even matter?

Replies

• tryclyn
    tryclyn Posts: 2,414 Member
    I work 3rd shift and count from midnight to midnight, it's just easier for me.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    I work 3rd shift and count from midnight to midnight, it's just easier for me.
    Pretty much what I do as well.
  • I'm not sure it matters, but I count calories within a "day" defined as the time between when I wake up and when I go to bed. So if I eat something at 1am, I post it to the previous day's food diary.
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Any 24 hour period would work.
  • KatFierce
    KatFierce Posts: 252 Member
    I do from when I wake up to when I go to bed
    Yesterday I got up around 8a.m and went out last night so i got home about 2 a.m All the drinks and food I had while out I posted to yesterday, then started fresh this morning when I got up.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    I count wake to sleep as well. Works best for me. Do what works best for you. :)
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Whatever works best for you and keeps you tracking.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    People make thinks complicated. I work over nights. If I wake up Monday at 4 pm, I use Monday, if I wake up at Tuesday 3 pm, I use Tuesday. Got it?
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    No, it doesn't matter. I have had times when I was way under and then later in the week, ate a piece of cake. Sometimes, instead of logging it on the day I ate it, I "back-logged" it to a previous day. I pretty much quit doing that once I started using a spreadsheet for long-term tracking. Weight loss is long-term and not short term.
  • Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    Whatever works best for you and keeps you tracking.

^this

your body cant tell when you log.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    It really doesn't matter how you do it, as long as you are consistent.

I go with from wake up to sleep. Doesn't matter when I get up, or when I go to sleep.
  • tryclyn
    tryclyn Posts: 2,414 Member
    People make thinks complicated. I work over nights. If I wake up Monday at 4 pm, I use Monday, if I wake up at Tuesday 3 pm, I use Tuesday. Got it?

Some days I don't sleep and some days I wake up twice so it is easier to keep track of what I ate when instead of what meal it was supposed to be.

You just have to find what works for you.
  • erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    I have a sleep disorder, so that was difficult for me as well. So what I did was change my "meals" to time slots, since the day is going to slide over regardless of what my body thinks, and so will the mfp app. So I've got: midnight to four am, four to eight, eight to noon, noon to four, four to eight pm, and eight to midnight. This works for me.
  • DinoSaurous
    DinoSaurous Posts: 72 Member
    When I compete the horses in the Summer I am up from 3:30am till 12am and I always feel like I should be eating more these days as I am active continuously (apart from the journey there and back). However, in reality these are the days I eat hardly anything as I am so busy that thinking about food is the last thing on my mind :/
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    you can do it in three day batches if you want. Or 7.

If after three days you are in the same deficit as every day x 3 it is the same thing.

I am not saying dont eat for three days and then eat all your calories.
  • As long as EVERYTHING you eat is counted then it doesn't matter.
  • No, it doesn't matter. I have had times when I was way under and then later in the week, ate a piece of cake. Sometimes, instead of logging it on the day I ate it, I "back-logged" it to a previous day. I pretty much quit doing that once I started using a spreadsheet for long-term tracking. Weight loss is long-term and not short term.

^^this! I track my weight by week anyway and take averages for calories in/out..so as long as its logged I'm all good.
  • rudegyal_b
    rudegyal_b Posts: 593 Member
    i work all 3 shifts so i log midnight to midnight
  • rapat
    rapat Posts: 108 Member
    Agree with 'it doesn't matter' -- at the end of the week it all sums up / averages out.
    That said I use 'wake to sleep' as my day. So if I happen to eat at 1AM I'll make it down as an evening food in the prior day
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    As others have said - it doesn't matter - just look at it on a weekly basis and log it however you wish.