ANIMAL protein vs VEGETEBALE protein

Options
Whats better IYO

Replies

• Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Both break down to amino acids in the body, animal sources contain more protein as a percentage of the total than plants. Assuming you are talking about them in their natural form, not heavily processed .... animal protein may be slightly better absorbed and utilised and comes along with vitamin B12, plant proteins may come packaged with more other nutrients. No clear winner IMO.
  • Ravepixie87
    Options
    Protein is protein, eat which ever you like and fits in with your lifestyle better.
    Some plant proteins are harder to absorb, but by combining them with different foods this can be improved, but thats the same as some vitamins and minerals (for example I read that there is a compound in those nasty white bits on oranges that may help your body absorb more vitamin C, therefore its better to eat an actual orange than juice it)
  • NormalSaneFLGuy
    NormalSaneFLGuy Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    Insect protein for the win!

Why? Flys are in abundance. I like to utiilize my environment.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    IMO...Animal protein. I don't like vegetables much.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I think it's best to get a good mix of both. At least that's what I do.
  • skstock212
    Options
    vegetable protien like soy derived has estorgen, which can slow down your motabolism.
    go for whey or animal.
  • mactaffy84
    mactaffy84 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Vegetable protein typically doesn't come loaded with the saturated fats that animal protein comes with. That should help you decide which is better for you.
  • gingerveg
    gingerveg Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    vegetable protien like soy derived has estorgen, which can slow down your motabolism.
    go for whey or animal.
    Sigh, here we go....

My vote is for a plant based diet. Eat lower on the food chain so you are not ingesting remnants of what the animal ate. In addition, it is more compassionate, will help with globally poor communities, help you avoid mad cow and bird flu, a plant based diet is immensely helpful to the environment, it will decrease your chances of heart disease and cancer, and help you cultivate a more humanitarian outlook among other things. :)

ETA: To the person I quoted above and the one who had a soy sensitivity below. Soy does not contain the hormone estrogen. It does contain isoflavones (also known as phytoestrogens or "plant estrogens"). "While the chemical structure of isoflavones is similar to estrogen, the two function very differently in the body. Isoflavones have been studied for a number of beneficial effects including a potential role in supporting heart and bone health, minimizing menopausal symptoms and reducing the risk of some forms of cancer."

Regardless, if you have a soy sensitivity (or objection) there are many other cruelty-free protein options.
  • Zylahe
    Zylahe Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    go for whey or animal.
    Thats new to me. Can you show some evidence?

Also is motabolism in any way relate to metabolism?
  • bronnyd
    bronnyd Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    go for whey or animal.
    Sigh, here we go....

My vote is for a plant based diet. Eat lower on the food chain so you are not ingesting remnants of what the animal ate. In addition, it is more compassionate, will help with globally poor communities, help you avoid mad cow and bird flu, a plant based diet is immensely helpful to the environment, it will decrease your chances of heart disease and cancer, and help you cultivate a more humanitarian outlook among other things. :)

I completely agree with you, and I eat a plant based diet myself, but what the poster you quoted said about soy and estrogen is true (though, I don't know that it slows down metabolism). When I first started out as vegetarian, for years I ate primarily processed soy products (tofu, soy milk, "fake meat" substitutes, etc), like A LOT of them (meaning at least once per day), and became estrogen dominant as a result. I experienced bloated weight gain, my breasts were swollen and tender almost all the time, I developed cystic acne on my cheeks and around my mouth and chin. I brought it up with my doctor who told me about the relationship between excessive soy consumption and estrogen imbalance.

I've since decreased my soy intake drastically and my symptoms have disappeared.

I now look for vegetable protein sources in beans, soy free shake mixes like Vega or SunWarrior protein powder, and tempeh (which is soy, but isn't as heavily processed as other things like tofu and fake meat substitutes). I still eat tofu and stuff of course, I just make sure to keep it in check.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    We metabolize animal protein better than soy protein.
    Hemp protein can have a laxative effect which is not good for nutrient absorption. But if you a normally a blocked, this can be a good side effect. Hemp protein is also believed to have seem other health benefits. My mother uses hemp oil every day and found she didn't have to use a magnifying glass with her glasses to read anymore.
    The fats in animal protein are good for you. Lowers small particle LDL, raises HDL (good) and lowers triglycerides.
  • jesswait
    jesswait Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I try to eat a mixture of both, I don't see any harm in getting varies nutrients and minerals everyday.
  • CloverCreeper
    CloverCreeper Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    People keep bringing up soy protein, what about protein from
    other plant sources like nuts and legumes?

I'm vegan though, so I may be a bit biased.
  • pamelak5
    pamelak5 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    go for whey or animal.
    Thats new to me. Can you show some evidence?

Also is motabolism in any way relate to metabolism?

When you make catty corrections of other people's spelling, you are not allowed to simultaneously make grammatical errors.
  • ladybug114
    ladybug114 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Animal protein is loaded with bad cholesterol and saturated fat. According to many of the books I've read on nutrition and weight loss, and also nutrition classes, you don't actually need to combine foods to get all amino acids at once. If you eat a balanced, whole food plant-based diet, with lots of variety, you will get the amino acids and the protein that you need. I recently lowered my soy intake dramatically and started eating veggies in place of tofu, and I have been getting more protein than I was before.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    Bioavaiability.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    Animal protein is loaded with bad cholesterol and saturated fat. According to many of the books I've read on nutrition and weight loss, and also nutrition classes
    Time to update that library.
  • ParkerH47
    ParkerH47 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    There are pros and cons for both...

Animal protein - yes it has saturated fat and cholesterol etc. but it also has a much better amino acid profile that is best suited to what we need in our bodies, eggs especially. If you are going to eat meat though I would suggest, properly raised animals, no antibiotics, and fed a proper diet.

Plant protein has the added benefit of usually coming with fibre and a lot of nutrients, however you have to make sure you are getting a complete protein in a meal. For example - wheat has protein - but is missing some amino acids, so you have to pair it with beans (which are also missing some a.a's that wheat happens to contain) same goes for nuts. But it is also harder to absorb and digest the protein in plants because it is usually tightly bound to other molecules.
  • Natashaa1991
    Natashaa1991 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    i'm sorry but animal protein. (says a person who used to be vegetarian for almost 20 years)
  • freddykid
    freddykid Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Both IMO. You can live off the plant diet without eating meat, but you shouldn't eat only meat. I eat a small portion of meat and stack the veggies on my plate. I could never go vegan/vegetarian I need some meat in my diet. Plus I don't like the Prius.... just kidding.