ruined? or just time out?

Options
hi guys this week i've over eaten not binged just over eaten mainly bad stuff! i sat after i logged all my calories and decided to check my bmr and daily caloric needs.
I then added all the calories in total consumed and found that i have gone over 2600 for the week in maintenence tonight ive got the cinema and dinner with the kids and my husband ive saved all my calories for today.........should i get back onto eating a defect from tomorrow i feel like ive completley ruined it can't even look in the mirror because i see fat fat fat!.
What damage have i done even if i've underestimated my calories i may of set myself bk 2lbs is this right?

Replies

• Lindaendall
    Lindaendall Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    No use crying over spilt milk....what you have done this week is in the past, start afresh NOW. If you have not already blown it today then do not do it tonight. You are changing your lifestyle so you have got to get usedto going out socially and not bingeing. You can have a good time within your calories - have a smaller bag of popcorn, decide which treats you are going to have and do not have to try everything.

There is only you that can do this! We have all had the days/weeks when things went bad but we just picked ourselves up and got back on the wagon........YOU CAN DO IT!!

Linda
  • MariFitBody
    MariFitBody Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Whats done is done girl. We all go through that. I say enjoy tonight and start fresh tomorrow. Take it as a lesson learned that's all. Now you know all week to be on point and eat healthy.
  • VeganZombie13
    Options
    There's NO crying in baseball!

Just get up, brush yourself off and start anew...
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    It's not even a pounds worth or calories. And you can't change it.

Just go forward. No big deal.

What's the alternative? Quit? Nonsense! You can do this.
  • katemateg
    katemateg Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Every day is a new day. Don't be too harsh on yourself. Eat what you enjoy tonight but not as much as you used to/ had planned to eat and then you can go to bed feeling a bit more positive. Much as I love sweets, chocolate, cakes etc i go to bed happier with myself and more positive if I've managed to show some control over eating them.
  • connectedcats
    connectedcats Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    When I've had a bad day I've decided to put it in the past and move on. It can't be changed, but it isn't the end of the world either. I used to try to 'catch up' by eating less than I should, but then I'd get too hungry, and over do it again, so it didn't work.
  • barbaramitchell101
    barbaramitchell101 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    you are OK, we all do this...it is necessary for your mental health and continued success...as everyone else has said, just don't worry about it and go on from here...it was, after all, time with your family...I have days like this, and still am in a continuous, but slow, downward weight loss...don't give up, that's the worst you can do...
  • Barbellerella
    Barbellerella Posts: 1,838 Member
    Options
    Not 2 pounds. That would be about 7000 cals over maintenance. You are probable feeling bloated from holding on to water. Binging is a cycle of shame and will turn into more binging. Learn to forgive yourself and move on without the shame and guilt. People that have binge eating disorder are often triggered by too much restriction, if you carry a very large deficit, you are at higher risk of binging. Try for a smaller deficit, such as 15-20% below TDEE, and you will have an easier time recovering.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    hi guys this week i've over eaten not binged just over eaten mainly bad stuff! i sat after i logged all my calories and decided to check my bmr and daily caloric needs.
    I then added all the calories in total consumed and found that i have gone over 2600 for the week in maintenence tonight ive got the cinema and dinner with the kids and my husband ive saved all my calories for today.........should i get back onto eating a defect from tomorrow i feel like ive completley ruined it can't even look in the mirror because i see fat fat fat!.
    What damage have i done even if i've underestimated my calories i may of set myself bk 2lbs is this right?

I went over 1500 calories just last night. Seriously, no big deal. If you're going to live your life normally, you're going to go over at times, you're going to be under from time to time. The goal isn't to be perfect, it's to be as consistent as possible.

The part where you look in the mirror and see "fat fat fat!"...well, that's not good. You should be able to look in the mirror and see someone who lost 59 pounds so far. That's awesome!! Enjoy it!!

You haven't ruined anything, except maybe you're view on food and calories. Ease up a bit. You don't want to spend the rest of your life obsessing over every little thing. Look at the big picture. Be closer to target more times than not.

You look fantastic from what I can see in your profile pic. You've got this. Go, enjoy time with your family.
  • liesevanlingen
    liesevanlingen Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Honey, just relax. You're being much too hard on yourself. One or two binge days are not going to kill you or completely derail your weight loss efforts. Take a mom hug from me, who's been there and back. You're going to be okay.

First, look at yourself in the mirror and say, "I may not be perfect, but I am still AWESOME! So there!" and smile, even if you don't feel like it.
    Then, get back on the bike! or, in other words, recommit yourself to your weight loss process. You've lost a lot of weight so far, don't let a bad week stop you or get you down. Tell yourself that you're an awesome little dynamo and you can do this!
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    You've lost 59lbs and never had a day/week/month where you went over? Kudos to you! Just carry on-enjoy what you eat and don't feel guilty. I ate 1/2 a cheesecake over the course of 4 days a couple weeks ago. Yep-I gained that week (duh), but it was SO yummy-loved every bite of it. Back on track now-probably need to avoid weeks where I'm 10k calories over maintenance if I'm planning to lose the last few pounds. No biggie-got the rest of my life to work off that cheesecake (until another one ends up in my fridge lol).
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Just take it as a lesson to try to do better, don't stress over it, and don't quite your plans.
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    You're not required to eat a perfect diet every single day of your life. Perfection is unrealistic and way overrated. Give yourself mental permission to go outside your diet plan occassionally, and I think you'll find it easier to stay on track for the long-term.
  • cedarghost
    cedarghost Posts: 621 Member
    Options

You haven't ruined anything, except maybe you're view on food and calories. Ease up a bit. You don't want to spend the rest of your life obsessing over every little thing. Look at the big picture. Be closer to target more times than not. .
    ^^^^^Well said^^^^^
  • anifani4
    anifani4 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Definitely NOT RUINED. It takes roughly 3500 excess calories to make one pound of body fat. You didn't come close. You may have gained some water weight though but if you get back on track, that will disappear in a few days.

I'm more concerned about what you see in the mirror and what you are telling yourself. Turn this around with positive comments spoken directly to that self in the mirror. Do not let those negative voices win. And give yourself a ton for credit for all the hard work you've done so far. You are awesome!
  • barbaramitchell101
    barbaramitchell101 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Definitely NOT RUINED. It takes roughly 3500 excess calories to make one pound of body fat. You didn't come close. You may have gained some water weight though but if you get back on track, that will disappear in a few days.

I'm more concerned about what you see in the mirror and what you are telling yourself. Turn this around with positive comments spoken directly to that self in the mirror. Do not let those negative voices win. And give yourself a ton for credit for all the hard work you've done so far. You are awesome!

well, said
  • aloranger7708
    aloranger7708 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Don't stress over this! Drink some water, take a long walk, and move on. Each day is a new one.

Over the past week I overate a lot (not purposefully, of course) so I know how you feel. However, are you going to let a few days determine the rest of your life? The past few days are very small in the scheme of things. There have been SO many times over the past few years where I would completely indulge myself with crap food and then just give up trying to lose weight. If I had just stuck with it, I probably wouldn't be struggling to lose weight right now. I regret giving up so many times in the past.

Just pick yourself up and try again. You can do this. And don't forget... this is your only life. If you want chocolate cake, eat it! Just in moderation.
  • Gwen_B
    Gwen_B Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Just start over and commit to it!! Good luck!!
  • dittmarml
    dittmarml Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    You've already lost almost half a person :) and you're going to do more - one bad day (or one bad week) is just the way it breaks sometimes.

Re: cinema - I've taken to air popping popcorn in advance and smuggling it in in a big purse (I know, I'm outing myself) - I REFUSE to eat all the oil that's soaked up at the theater...that and a diet coke or water and you're done. Alternative (and less bulky) is a bunch of carrot or apple slices. (When the theaters start selling real food I'll start buying and following their rules.)

Those are old, bad tapes running in your head about having ruined the week/day/life. No worries - just recognize what they are, and move forward. You're doing great!!
  • wibutterflymagic
    wibutterflymagic Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    One week does not determine your success. You haven't gone off the deep end and totally thrown all your hard work away because of a couple of days of eating. Changing our food lifestyle is not about restricting what we eat, being on a strict regimen and not allowing flexibility. It's about eating healthier more often then not. This week I have a dept potluck day and our casual holiday party with snack food. I am planning on enjoying it, hopefully exercising just a tad more and taking each day for what it is. Everyday of my life will not be like that and I am not concerned that I'll be over the calories that I "should" be eating. Keeping a tight rein on what you eat as far as calorie overages and deficits is only going to lead to a true binge at some point. By allowing yourself the permission to have some "bad" days you will stay on track. Life is about enjoying your time with family and friends not worrying about a few hundred measly extra calories you ate that can be worked off with a little extra activity. Keep your focus on the long term not 1 insignificant day. Don't sweat the little stuff, and most everything is little stuff.