Comfort food for a broken heart!

Options
I have a question for you guys. What type of comfort food do you eat when you need some? What do you do with a broken heart who's craving for chocolate?

Replies

• Lake_Po
    Lake_Po Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I'd like to pretend that Hungry-Girl's idea of triple chocolate rice cake frozen pudding something or other with chocolate chips and sugar free pudding would do the trick, but I usually shut my sad girl up with Ghiradelli sea salt and caramel milk chocolate or ice cream (and sometimes cake is also necessary!) =D
  • Suzyqall72
    Options
    what about a Ghiardelli chocolate square? They are around 70 calories each and delicious. Or you could do Jello low fat pudding, or a packet of lower calorie instant cocoa. Sometimes though, I think that getting outside and moving is the best exercise for a broken heart. Along with remembering all of the things about that person that drove you crazy,etc. Good luck.:smile:
  • Suzyqall72
    Options
    I'd like to pretend that Hungry-Girl's idea of triple chocolate rice cake frozen pudding something or other with chocolate chips and sugar free pudding would do the trick, but I usually shut my sad girl up with Ghiradelli sea salt and caramel milk chocolate or ice cream (and sometimes cake is also necessary!) =D

Oh yeah, the sea salt and caramel is one of my faves. Just bought a bag today at the store. One a day will keep the doctor away!
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    1260993809_bouncing_jello.gif

YUM
  • BetterCrazyThanLazy
    Options
    1260993809_bouncing_jello.gif

YUM

Now I want Jell-O!
  • joanneg572
    joanneg572 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I keep repeating..."If hunger isn't the problem, then food isn't the solution" a thousand times.
    And then.......I have chocolate!! LOL
    (Hersheys Special Dark Sugar Free work for me, cause you get a terrible gut ache if you eat more than 5 little bars)
    Hang in there, love!:flowerforyou:
  • Mutant13
    Mutant13 Posts: 2,485 Member
    Options
    Toast with butter and Vegemite in really dire emergencies

It has to be doorstop thick too
  • laurenz2501
    laurenz2501 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    I usually shut my sad girl up with Ghiradelli sea salt chocolate

ooooooooommmmmmmmmggggggggg ::drool:: nectar of the gods
  • kissmisskate
    kissmisskate Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I keep a bar of Lindt Intense Orange in my freezer for when I've got the blues.. also, fried cheese. Seriously. Slice a few pieces of (sharp old) cheddar, break them into quarter sized pieces, and fry them until crispy in a frying pan. I remove them onto a piece of paper towel to drain, and then gobble them up!
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I love chocolate and I eat some every day, usually high quality dark chocolate in small quantities. But I have finally broken the connection between eating and emotional comfort. When my heart aches, I go for a walk, knit, read a good book, draw, play the piano. . . any happy activity.
  • finchest
    finchest Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    When my heart aches, I go for a walk, knit, read a good book, draw, play the piano. . . any happy activity.

i second this, or i make myself a medifast hot cocoa or hot chai to satisfy the craving without mentally punishing myself later for slipping.
    channeling the sad energy into something nurturing (a bath with salts, listening to a new record, even reading a self help book or something) is a lot more productive. it helps to get out of the house, as well, even if i don't really want to. (ie go to a cafe or see friends)
  • finchest
    finchest Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    PS so sorry to hear about the broken heart :(
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    Options
    I tend not to eat when I have a broken heart... I try really hard to gag food down, though.. :/
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    Well, my first stop would be the grocery store to pick up a small butter cream cake. I would then pick up chinese food on the way home. I would then consume both at my leisure while watching a favorite comedy.
  • bridgelene
    bridgelene Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    sorry to hear about the broken heart :(

If you're craving chocolate perhaps get some plain, fat-free greek yogurt and put a few tablespoons of unsweetened cocoa powder, and sweeten with stevia. It can go in the freezer, for a bit if you want ;)
  • funkyspunky872
    funkyspunky872 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    1.) Give myself permission to eat chocolate so it doesn't lead to a binge.
    2.) Eat the chocolate.
    3.) Recognize that the occasional comfort eating is perfectly normal.
    4.) Forgive myself, and start again with next meal or day -- whichever comes first.
  • lenoresaari
    lenoresaari Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    For chocolate cravings, Natures Bounty Protein chocolate shake is very satisfying, hot chocolate is good or just a scoop of rich chocolate fudge brownie icecream from an icecream store is good. They dont help with broken hearts much. Time heals.
  • starlite_79
    starlite_79 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    if i'm craving chocolate, i usually go for my supermarket's store-brand fat-free fudgecicle. they are 80 calories each and delicious. however i've also been known to keep some snack-sized candy bars on hand, but try to limit myself to 2 (or 3 on the really bad days).

this from the girl who ate half a hershey bar and a slice of cake yesterday..... :ohwell:
  • OctupyMTL
    Options
    I keep repeating..."If hunger isn't the problem, then food isn't the solution" a thousand times.
    And then.......I have chocolate!! LOL
    (Hersheys Special Dark Sugar Free work for me, cause you get a terrible gut ache if you eat more than 5 little bars)
    Hang in there, love!:flowerforyou:

Best thing ever. Thanks for that. Seriously, you made my day!
  • OctupyMTL
    Options
    When my heart aches, I go for a walk, knit, read a good book, draw, play the piano. . . any happy activity.

i second this, or i make myself a medifast hot cocoa or hot chai to satisfy the craving without mentally punishing myself later for slipping.
    channeling the sad energy into something nurturing (a bath with salts, listening to a new record, even reading a self help book or something) is a lot more productive. it helps to get out of the house, as well, even if i don't really want to. (ie go to a cafe or see friends)

Hot Chaï and a good book it will be I think.

Thanks for all that support, it's great to see I am not the only one with emotional cravings!