Mori-Nu Soft Tofu Adventures

Options
kermiehiho
kermiehiho Posts: 193 Member
I had a box of Mori-Nu soft tofu that had just expired, so I finally decided to make something with it this weekend.
First up was Marilyn Crane's Eggless French Toast
Ingredients
1/2 cup(s) (or soy milk) rice milk
1 1/2 ounce(s) soft tofu
1 teaspoon(s) ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon(s) pure vanilla extract
1 teaspoon(s) canola oil
2 slice(s) whole wheat bread
1 teaspoon(s) light syrup

Directions
Combine tofu, rice milk, cinnamon and vanilla extract in a blender. Purée until smooth; pour into a shallow bowl.
Heat oil in a wide nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
Dip bread slices into tofu mixture to coat on both sides, letting any excess drip off. Place in skillet and cook until golden brown on both sides, turning once.
Transfer to a plate and top with syrup.

It was pretty good; it browned up just like french toast and had the texture of french toast. I suspect my mom put sugar in the french toast dipping batter when I was a kid, so it was kind of plain without the syrup at the end. Maybe I'll try mixing agave in the dipping mixture next time. All in all, a good recipe if you're allergic to eggs, or are going vegan, though.

Then, since the box of tofu is 12 oz., and the french toast only used 1.5 oz., I made a half recipe of Tofu Dessert.
Ingredients
24 ounces tofu, chilled & mashed
4 1/2 tablespoons honey
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Directions:
In a large serving bowl combine the tofu, honey, and vanilla blending well with a fork.

I also thought this was good, although it does have a slight tofu flavor. I also tried mixing in cocoa powder. Yum! Like chocolate pudding. And I tried mixing in peanut butter (natural kind - only peanuts and salt). Pretty good too. If there was such as thing as peanut butter pudding, that would be it. The original recipe actually calls for strawberries and sliced hazelnuts to garnish. I didn't have any of those, but I think it was good without it. Anyway, kind of makes me wonder how it would turn out if I added gelatin...

Replies

• Frances4646
    Options
    also look on chocolate covered katie's blog, she does loads of recipes with that tofu, from frostings to pies. I tryed her chocolate mousse with the tofu and it was so good