The Lovely Keurig Coffee Machine...

Options
So awhile back, dad got mom a Keurig coffee maker for Christmas. It's one of the K-Cup models, dunno which though. Basically there is a tank of water that you can refill when needed, and you have little cups with coffee grounds in them that you put in the coffee make and then press the handle down, which punches a hole in the cup, allowing water to get through. Then you choose your cup size, mine is either small or large, but some come with a medium option as well. Then it basically makes a cup of coffee for you.

The K-Cups come in tons of varieties and flavors, from Starbucks brews to Dunkin Donuts to lesser known brands. There are even K-Cups with hot chocolate and tea. My personal favorite is the "Cafe Escapes" brand Cafe Mocha.

These K-Cups come in packs of anywhere from 12 to 20 in pretty much every grocery store. They are a tad expensive in my opinion. Usually ranging from $15 to $20.

I've also found that the Large cup choice on the version we have is PERFECT for cup noodles :bigsmile:

Does anyone else have a Keurig, or one of the other styles they sell? What do you think of it? Are the cups worth the price? Which are your favorites?

Replies

• Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I like mine. I buy the cups on sale one of my purchases on Black Friday. I also run each cup twice, protein whey is my new creamer.
  • MaggieSporleder
    MaggieSporleder Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I like mine, but we have the refillable plastic cup that we can use our own choice of coffees in. I like this because 1. its less wasteful and 2. I can run any regular coffee I want to thru it making it much cheaper. The insert was $20, but well worth the price.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    I find them to generate a lot of waste. I prefer just brewing my cup from a regular coffee maker.
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I find them to generate a lot of waste. I prefer just brewing my cup from a regular coffee maker.

I had more waste from the regular coffee maker.
  • ryansgram
    ryansgram Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I love mine! I buy the donut house coffee at Sams club. 40 dollars for 80 cups.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options

I had more waste from the regular coffee maker.

I don't have such an issue with compostable coffee grounds, I just didn't like that I threw out a small plastic cup every time I used the Keurig. To each his own, though.
  • graced111
    graced111 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I love mine. No more re-heating cold coffee. I like to combine cafe escapes chai latte and newmans bold. The k cups are cheaper at Wal-mart and Bed Bath and Beyond.
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I have one but don't use it unless we have guests. The coffee cups cost about 50 cents apiece. That is about 5x what whole bean coffee costs. Besides that, you are left with a plastic cup that is not recyclable.
    I have a refillable K-cup but a) It's a huge pain in the *kitten* to fill and clean for every cup, and b) the coffee tastes like crap for some reason.
    I am just not a fan.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    So awhile back, dad got mom a Keurig coffee maker for Christmas. It's one of the K-Cup models, dunno which though. Basically there is a tank of water that you can refill when needed, and you have little cups with coffee grounds in them that you put in the coffee make and then press the handle down, which punches a hole in the cup, allowing water to get through. Then you choose your cup size, mine is either small or large, but some come with a medium option as well. Then it basically makes a cup of coffee for you.

The K-Cups come in tons of varieties and flavors, from Starbucks brews to Dunkin Donuts to lesser known brands. There are even K-Cups with hot chocolate and tea. My personal favorite is the "Cafe Escapes" brand Cafe Mocha.

These K-Cups come in packs of anywhere from 12 to 20 in pretty much every grocery store. They are a tad expensive in my opinion. Usually ranging from $15 to $20.

I've also found that the Large cup choice on the version we have is PERFECT for cup noodles :bigsmile:

Does anyone else have a Keurig, or one of the other styles they sell? What do you think of it? Are the cups worth the price? Which are your favorites?

I got a keurig in May, and I LOVE it.

I buy the K cups on sale, but I recently just bought the refillable filter thingy too. Right now I have like 4 different kinds of K cups AND 4 different kinds of loose coffee in my cabinet. I tend to go for the lighter roasts in flavors--hazelnut, blueberry, caramel, etc.

I also have found that the hot water feature is AWESOME! I use it for noodles, oatmeal, etc
  • tehzephyrsong
    tehzephyrsong Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    The refillable K-cup is probably your best bet if you insist upon owning a Keurig machine, but if you really enjoy drinking coffee, you're better off with literally any other coffee-making device. The problem with Keurigs is that, no matter what you put in them, they make subpar hot beverages. The water is too hot and doesn't have enough time in contact with the grounds/leaves/whatever to make a decent cup of anything. Sure, it's fast, but it's not like it takes THAT much time to make a cup of coffee any other way. I have an Aeropress and it makes better coffee than I've ever gotten from a drip machine of any kind.
  • AriesOx
    Options
    I also have one, and I love it. I didn't like the price or the waste (plastic) of the cups, so I got a re-fillable insert for it. There is one that is made by Keurig, but it sucks (leaky, messy, and too complicated! :tongue: ) But there is another one that I found at Bed Bath and Beyond that was ~20 and looks like a red k-cup shaped filter. It works like a charm! I love my coffee, but when it was just me I hated to make a full pot. I also dislike instant, so this is the perfect solution :bigsmile:
  • jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I drink mine black, so I go for bold kcups. I usually stock up on Green Mountain Sumatran Reserve or black magic
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options

Not for me. Our landfills are already brimming with so much useless *kitten* we buy. Now the K-cups. Take care of the Earth so your kids and their kids get to enjoy it.
  • Celeigh12
    Celeigh12 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I love mine because I only drink a cup at a time and brewing a pot doesn't make sense. I'm addicted to the Pumpkin Spice coffee...
  • RVfrog
    RVfrog Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    sams club and BJ wholesale has a box of 80 kcups for 39.97 or close to that. averages out to about 50 cents a cup so it's worth it if you buy the larger box and even if you got a smaller box for $8.99 it is still 49.9 cents a cup....go to starbucks or panera bread and try to get a cup of coffee for 50cents
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I prefer my Nespresso. The cups are aluminum, completely recyclable, and don't make my coffee taste like plastic.
  • Owlie45
    Owlie45 Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    Ours have 5 sizes.
    Yes I think they are worth it. I find that you can get two uses out of each cup, depending on the size you choose.
    Costco has a large box of them for a pretty good deal.

I'm a tea drinker so my favorite is the black tea.
  • lorcart
    lorcart Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    LOVE LOVE LOVE mine! I prefer the Caribou Obsidian. I also have the thing you can grind your own beans and make your own Kcup, but I find it to be messy. When I use it water leaks around it. I'll stick with my Obsidian.
  • rlmadrid
    rlmadrid Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I'm a fan. As a 9am-5pm student who works nights 7pm-4am the k-cup works for me to have 1 cup of coffee when I want to. I found I wasted a lot of brewed coffee when I had a 12-cup maker.
  • leska1216
    Options

Bought the Keurig machine for my daughter/soninlaw for their wedding. They love it because it is so versatile in the types of drinks available.

I do find the cups to be on the expensive side. I have found the K-cup distributor here in town and can buy 24 packs for $10.00 which is a steal.

For Christmas I am getting them the basket. A reusable basket that is the same size/shape of the K-cup, made by Keurig. This way they can make their own drinks and buy regular items like coffee, ice tea, hot chocolate etc at the grocery store. With the basket they do not need to buy the cups.

I bought the basket at Future Shop for $16.99 which was cheaper than the $19.99 that everyone who sells them charges.

A Tassimo machine does not have a reusable basket.

Yes, the machines do generate a lot of waste.

Enjoy your machine. They are great.