Weight Loss Supplements

Options
I have started seeing a nutrionist and my first major question arises on the weekend (of course). She has me on some supplements to help support my metabolism. I am taking CLA and Green Tea Extract, one gel cap of each with each meal. I usually take them BEFORE I eat, but I noticed the last few nights that I am feeling incredibly nauseous after I take them. Does anyone have any experience/advice with this?

I was about 60 lbs overweight, gaining back my pregnancy weight plus after I had my son in January 2011. I started on her program two weeks ago and I have already lost 12 lbs. The supplements were added this past week after checking my measurements, I carry most of my extra weight around my waist, hips and upper thighs. I still have the lower thighs and calves of someone who is 60 lbs lighter than I am. She said that these were A) natural B) would help target the weight loss to the areas that I am having issues with.

Replies

• axialmeow
    axialmeow Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I am apple shaped too. Supplements did NOTHING for me and I tried them all. Watching processed carbs and sugar did provide dramatic results however.
  • LittleMissDover
    LittleMissDover Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    You lost 12lbs without them in 2 weeks

They make you feel sick.

It's more than likely a load of hocus pocus.

Stop taking them and continue with a healthy diet and exercise......
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,081 Member
    Options
    Don't tell me.....this "nutritionist" just happens to sell CLA and Green Tea supplements..

Nutrtionists aren't the best source of information. Go to a registered Dietician

If something nauseates you, sometimes you can still take them after food. I would stop taking anything that nauseates me, though. You have not idea what the ingredients are in "supplements". They aren't regulated by anyone, and lots of times you are just buying snake oil.
  • xsmilexforxmex
    xsmilexforxmex Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Some supplements can irritate your stomach lining.. just try eating before you take them. it has helped me with a daily MVI.. If I take it without food I actually have to make a trip to the toilet to vomit. Not fun.
  • starvinkevin
    Options
    Caffeine, nicotine, tyrosine are good too
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Are you taking the dose of CLA and standardised green tea extract tested in the published research? One capsule doesn't mean anything unless you know the strength. Try taking after food, but don't expect miracles.
  • starvinkevin
    Options
    The only really effective drugs are those that suppress your appetite significantly. Most, even ephedrine, increase metabolism maybe 10% which does help but it's more of how much and what you eat that matters the most!
  • LadyIntrepid
    LadyIntrepid Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're doing great without the supplements. Have patience with the process. Slow and steady wins the race. Supplements that support your overall health can be great, but there are no magic pills when it comes to weight loss.
  • thinandprim23
    Options
    NV diet pills worked wonders for me,lost 10 pounds after 1 bottle.
  • Tinytaru
    Tinytaru Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    you could just drink normal green tea, its cheaper and fills the stomach and it tastes great! ;)
  • starvinkevin
    Options
    Coffee works too but you really build a high tolerance... I'm up to 1.5g/day of caffeine...
  • Emase1
    Options
    I used the Green Coffee Bean Extract mixed with a couple other items and I have lost MASSIVE amounts of weight!! :)

Instead of posting all the products I have used here check out my blog www.EatGoodStaySlim.com for my reviews on the products that I recommend. :)
  • Jelerian
    Options
    I have eliminated all processed food and I am getting NO sugars or processed carbs. I eat maybe two pieces of bread a week and half a cup of brown rice. Other than that my carbs all come from fruits and veggies.

My nutrionist doesn't sell these, just her experience with post partum women has shown some dramatic results in fat loss in that area. Better results using them then not.

I took Green Tea and CLA with breakfast, nothing with lunch and then just CLA with dinner. I will try the same thing with the Green tea tomorrow and see how that works.
  • BiggyFuzz
    BiggyFuzz Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    You lost 12lbs without them in 2 weeks

They make you feel sick.

It's more than likely a load of hocus pocus.

Stop taking them and continue with a healthy diet and exercise......

@LittleMissDov

Well said!!
  • BonnieandClyde29
    BonnieandClyde29 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I have taken weight loss suppliments before and i would feel nausious too, but then I would only take 1 a day, and drink A LOT of water, the headaches and nausia stopped and it did help me feel more energized to work out though, so i was grateful for that, but i would never take any at night because then i would be up for a long while....it helped me loose 5 lbs, but thne i just stopped using them but that was my own fault....i personally liked them....you want to make sure though you do A LOT of research, and the supplements are basically just a booster, you still need to diet and exercise with them!!!
  • BonnieandClyde29
    BonnieandClyde29 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    oh, and i took OXYlite PRO