Annoyed

Options
My H's family is very overweight. Every time we get together with them I get the "it's not fair! You're SO skinny". Well no, I'm not SO skinny. I'm thin, I'm healthy, I'm becoming fit. The way they say it sounds like they think I'm anorexic.

I've explained that I'm not this way naturally. I watch 98% of what goes into my body and I'm at the gym 5 days a week. I don't just look this way on my own. A lot of hard work and determination has gone into it. It falls on deaf ears and well, I wouldn't care if they wouldn't keep commenting on it.

I'm almost offended they think it's just so "easy" for me when in fact it is not. I feel like they're downplaying it all. Meanwhile when they have their second piece of giant chocolate cake and I'm satisfied with my 1/2 of one piece they still say "it's no fair". UGH.

Anyone else experience this? I feel uncomfortable that they talk about my body every.single.time we're together.

Replies

• sumer_13
    sumer_13 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    You need to tell them exactly how you feel! they are wanting where you are now.. that is a lot of the problem.. maybe a little jealous. maybe you should ask them if you can help? Just keep on doing what you are ... cz it is how you feel about you .. not the other way around.
  • TheLittleLebowski
    Options
    My problem is that although I'm almost at a normal weight, my family refuse to stop thinking of me as the fat one, hate going home on the holidays to that.

I can see why it annoys you, I'd take it as a compliment though, deep down they probably know they haven't got the motivation and commitment to change themselves so they'd belittle your achievements.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    you could either change the subject every time they bring it up or ask them why they feel the need to comment on your body every time you see them.

i had an aunt who would do this about my boobs. every single time. i wasnt allowed to be sassy with her when i was a kid, but you better believe as soon as i turned 18 i told her she either needed to find other topics to speak to me about OR not talk to me at all because i was not going to talk to her about my breasts anymore. she was was shocked at first but after that she never mentioned anything about my boobs again
  • psychic_atrophy
    Options
    I've had that happen when I lost weight when I was younger. Just say that you watch what you eat and exercise, there is no magic trick! They may say something about metabolism etc, but you can't convince them otherwise. I find that if people aren't ready to get healthy, it doesn't matter what you say to them.

It sounds like they are saying those things to you to make excuses for themselves. They can think "oh she is just like that, its ok for me to be overweight because I'm not naturally thin."

I would simply say you don't feel comfortable talking about your body/fitness/food and change the subject.