Cabbage Ideas?

Options
2»

Replies

• nickymaire
    nickymaire Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Roasted Cabbage!

Cut head of cabbage in to inch thick slices. lay out on a baking tray. Sprinkle with one tsp of fennel seeds and two tsp of chilli flakes. Drizzle a little olive oil and roast in a medium heat oven for 20mins or until your liking. Serve the cabbage with toasted sunflower seeds :)
  • jolinemariem
    jolinemariem Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    You can make a small salad of it. It's a typical dish at my home.

Ingredients:
    Cabbage (raw)
    lime
    onion
    salt
    tomato

Procedure:
    -Cut cabbage in small slices into a bowl
    -Squeeze half a lime (or more if you'd like) into the bowl
    -Cut onions or grate onions into bowl
    -Cut tomato into pieces, place in bowl
    -Add salt to taste
    -(Optional-shredded carrots)
    -Eat

This is very yummy and I make sure to have some whenever I eat at home.

this sounds really good im a huge lime girl
    i love cucumbers with lime and salt and a little tampito ( i think is the name) hot sauce
  • justlistening
    justlistening Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    My mom used to make a cabbage curry--
    saute dice potatoes & onion in oil
    add in about 1/2 tsp corriander powder, 1/2 tsp cumin powder, 1/4 tsp tumeric, 1/4 tsp chili powder and saute a few mins
    add shredded cabbage & salt and let cook down
    add frozen peas and let cook a few more minutes.
  • Frances4646
    Options
    I often just eat it raw in a salad but the other day I used it as a substitute for noodles in a stir fry which was delicious. You could also use them to wrap up minced beef and rice or something depending on how big and intact the leaves are
  • KayteeBear
    KayteeBear Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    One reason I love cabbage so much is because it's so cheap and goes a long way. :)

My usual thing is to steam/fry it up with onions and shredded carrots, sometimes adding bacon. Seasonings are random. Sometimes I just do a premixed Greek seasoning or throw in random stuff. I want to try adding sauteed chickpeas next time to add some protein.
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    Shred 1/2 head of cabbage (you can do the whole thing then scale up the rest of the ingredients a bit)

Melt 1 tablespoon (or more) butter in a large skillet, add 1/4 cup chicken broth, add the cabbage.

Also some salt and pepper, some fresh herbs if you've got them. Cabbage is pretty plain by itself, but not bad-tasting.

Bring it all to a simmer, cover and cook until wilted but still bright green, stirring a bit, 8 minutes or so.

Sprinkle with fresh parsley.

Yum!

Just wondering if this would re-heat ok, considering it for a work lunch.? Anyone know?
  • Kamnikar64
    Kamnikar64 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • gddrdld
    gddrdld Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Yum. Great ideas here. I am a big cabbage fan. I love making white bean keilbasa and cabbage soup, roasted cabbage with garlic and olive oil and Polish cabbage rolls with rice and beef filling and tomato sauce. But, it's also great as a raw salad or on fish tacos.
  • purple_orchid
    purple_orchid Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Never thought of most of these. Thanks