A few of my goals, and I would like some thoughts!

Options
As I am closely approaching my first goal of 199 pounds, currently weighing in at 201.7 starting from 213 pounds, I am getting more and more excited to hit it. As I have been saying, so close I can TASTE it. It just makes me want to work harder to get there.

With that said my next goal was to get to my weight pre-second-child: 170 pounds. I would also like to do that by his birthday which is mid April. That gives me around 19 weeks to lose 31.7 pounds so around 1.7 pounds a week. That is actually what i have been averaging, or a little more since I have started this journey.

My next goal, is to get to my pre-first child weight by his birthday which is mid september so 140 pounds. For that I am looking at just over a 1 pound loss per week.

Is this asking too much of myself? I have definitely heard of the plateaus so I guess that's what makes me nervous about these goals, but I am definitely committed to working out and eating healthy. I am not doing any special diets, just eating healthy, counting calories, and making it a lifestyle. I go the gym 4 sometimes 5 times a week.

Are there any thoughts on having mid goals still in between the weight loss goals I have listed? Between 199 to 170, and 170 to 140? I want to be realistic, not set myself up to get disappointed, however I am just really feeling excited and motivated! Eventually I want to be at my most healthy weight I have been in which was 120 when I graduated high school but I'm sure that last 20 pounds will probably be hard to shed.

Anyway, thanks for any thoughts and opinions, I really appreciate it!

Replies

• Rachael1524
    Options
    Well first of all welcome to MFP and congrats on your loss!
    I think it's an excellent idea to set mini-goals within your diet because it helps to keep you motivated! I think your first goal is quite realistic and is achievable. The last goal may be difficult though as you'll probably find by that time your loss will balance out and you'll probably lose weight at a slower rate. This is NOT a bad thing! It's just your body getting used to the diet :) I'd say stick to the first goal for now and have the second one sort of provisionally. Once you've reached the first goal see how you feel, how much you're losing and see if you then think that the last goal is achievable.

Keep going, you can do this!
  • higgyjig
    Options
    your goals are ambitious but I believe you can do it
  • NuggetLovesEdie
    NuggetLovesEdie Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Your enthusiasm and commitment are contagious!

I'm currently tackling my 40# goal ten at a time because 40 seems too daunting at the moment.

Unlike you, I don't have dates attached to my goals.

And, like you, I am committed to doing it right... with sustainable lifestyle changes.

You have my support!
  • princessage117
    princessage117 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I would break it down into 10 pound increments or so. I think it is doable but i like to go by smaller goals so it is easier achieved and less frustrating.
  • meglet175
    Options
    First off, congratulations to you for making the choice to put yourself high on your priority list. You are starting off with a great mindset.

I find for myself that it is more realistic to set goals for eating and exercise than for pounds lost in a certain time frame - but I'm not a youngster like you. The choices I make every day - those I have control over. How quickly the pounds come off - well, not so much. In theory, I could just keep cutting calories and adding cardio until I lose at a certain rate, but in reality, I refuse to be hungry - ever - and between work, kids, and other responsibilities, I don't have hours a day to commit to exercise.

With that said, I think setting goals is really important, as is some sort of reward when you reach your goals. I think you might be better to be flexible about the "when" of reaching your goals and focus instead on the "how" of getting there. Would you be absolutely crushed and likely to derail if you miss a goal? If so, it's better now not to expect a steady high rate of weight loss. There will be weeks when you stay within your calorie limit and the scale doesn't budge, so better to plan for that now than to beat yourself up later.

Just this not-so-young momma's thoughts. Either way, you are taking positive steps to better health for yourself.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    I would break it down into 10 pound increments or so. I think it is doable but i like to go by smaller goals so it is easier achieved and less frustrating.

this