Applied kinesiology...Fact or Fiction??

Options
Hi All,

To make a long story short, I have been dealing with an ongoing issue with my knee which may or may not be due to RA. I am waiting on an MRI and orthopaedic surgery to confirm my diagnosis but in the meantime, I felt I needed to do something to help myself.

I went to see a personal trainer who turned out to be an expert in muscle testing. According to him, my issues stem from both a digestive issue and an adrenal issue. He says we need to work on these issues before we even start an exercise program. He thinks he can really help me but of course personal training is not cheap and he wants to see me 2 to 3 times a week.

I am very interested in hearing from anyone who may have some experience with this.

Cheers,
Alsison

Replies

• gerripho
    gerripho Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    That's what second opinions are for. Find another personal trainer, unaffiliated with the first one. Do NOT tell the second that you've seen anyone else. Get your second opinion and take it from there.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Try reading this:

http://www.quackwatch.com/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/Tests/ak.html

And for future reference Quackwatch is a great site to have bookmarked!

Quote from the article:

The Bottom Line

The concepts of applied kinesiology do not conform to scientific facts about the causes or treatment of disease. Controlled studies have found no difference between the results with test substances and with placebos. Differences from one test to another may be due to suggestibility, distraction, variations in the amount of force or leverage involved, and/or muscle fatigue. If you encounter a practitioner who relies on AK muscle-testing for diagnosis, head for the nearest exit. Meanwhile, it would help if science-based kinesiologists would stop referring to what they do as "applied kinesiology."