counting calories..

Options
Is it really that important to count your calories to reach your weight loss goal? :flowerforyou:

Replies

• ubermensch13
    ubermensch13 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    To be sure you are eating at a calorie deficit, yes. If you can eat at a deficit without doing that, good for you, most can't.
  • WendyWeighsIn
    WendyWeighsIn Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    To me it is. It keeps me on track!
  • SToast
    SToast Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    To me it is. It keeps me accountable. Sometimes it amazes me how many calories something has. In the past I thought I was eating "good" but when it came down to counting calories I was out of control :) So far, counting calories is the only thing that's worked for me to lose weigh and keep it off.
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Yes.
  • higgyjig
    Options
    if you want to get to a goal weight and stay there then yes if not you can be slim etc but your weight will fluctuate
  • matchbox_girl
    matchbox_girl Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    To me it is. It keeps me accountable. Sometimes it amazes me how many calories something has. In the past I thought I was eating "good" but when it came down to counting calories I was out of control :) So far, counting calories is the only thing that's worked for me to lose weigh and keep it off.

This. I never realized how many calories I was eating until I tracked them.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Is it really that important to count your calories to reach your weight loss goal? :flowerforyou:

I think so. Not paying attention or keeping track of my food intake is exactly how I became fat. I started logging my food in July and have lost 50 pounds. I could never have lost weight without MFP.
  • Shua89
    Shua89 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Yes. Every single time I stop counting calories I gain weight. It's just too easy to fool yourself into thinking that you're eating okay. Logging food and counting calories keeps you honest, keeps you from deceiving yourself, and keeps you in the proper caloric range. It also teaches you what are right choices and what are wrong choices. Sadly, I've logged a few things and realized that I should never have that food again because it's way worse than I ever thought it was. Logging my food and counting my calories teaches me so much about making the right choices each and every day.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    After a bit of experience maybe it isn't essential to count every little thing...but its absolutely the best way to keep control and learn to keep portion control and nutrition in the front of your mind. So...yes...its important. It works!
  • shrinkingislander
    shrinkingislander Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    A small excerpt from my profile: I eat a mainly clean vegetarian diet. I try to make everything from scratch and have rediscovered my love of cooking, feeding my soul and my body. I don't log food or count calories because cooking for me is a creative outlet, a passionate experience, and to try and reduce that to a list of ingredients and number values, would take away that joy. And I still continue to lose so I think it all depends on the person.