"Gunt" Question - Women Only

Options
After I had a baby, not only did I get awful stretch marks I got a "gunt". If you don't know what a gunt is, it's when your pot belly just kinda hangs down. I never had this before my son was born 5 years ago but have had it ever since. Will it ever go away? Have any of you been successful in getting rid of yours? I am worried that the extra skin will always just hang. I am planning on starting at the gym soon, will lifting weights and just losing weight make the skin get tighter?

Replies

• nanainkent
    nanainkent Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Is the gunt above or below the belly button?
  • junodog1
    junodog1 Posts: 4,792 Member
    Options
    My little flap or gunt is below.
  • Guamybear
    Guamybear Posts: 1,061 Member
    Options
    I have on of those.. I have only lost 20lbs so far but my stomach has gone down almost half. I am worried about extra skin also since I was told genetics play a big role in along with how fast you lose the weight.

I have started weights hoping to tone up my arms, legs and stomach. I have seem some big girls go down to 6 packs so only time will tell..
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    If it's just extra skin after 5 years it would have gone if it was going to. If it's a roll of fat then leaning out may help. Usually a real "gunt" is that huge blob of fat that sits in the lap of someone who is morbidly obese. It's a wonderfully descriptive term! :bigsmile:
  • nanainkent
    nanainkent Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    LADIES!!! GET IT UNDER CONTROL NOW!!!! THINK WHEN YOUR OLDER AND GRAVITY TAKES OVER!!! RUNNNNNN!!!
  • darisey
    darisey Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I have never heard that term before... But mine (from my 2 kids) is almost completely gone already.
  • phildawson75
    phildawson75 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Isn't it a lovely portmanteau of gut and ****?

Edit: just saw the title, ill get my coat..
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    After I had a baby, not only did I get awful stretch marks I got a "gunt". If you don't know what a gunt is, it's when your pot belly just kinda hangs down. I never had this before my son was born 5 years ago but have had it ever since. Will it ever go away? Have any of you been successful in getting rid of yours? I am worried that the extra skin will always just hang. I am planning on starting at the gym soon, will lifting weights and just losing weight make the skin get tighter?

I will say that my belly, including the little apron of flubber that hung down, has gone down quite a bit with just 30lbs lost.

Ever since having kids, I have had a little overhang over my c section scar. Sounds kinda bad, but for the last few years I have had to literally LIFT the apron ( even when laying down) to find my scar. A few months ago I discovered my hip bones again...and about the same time I realized that my pooch was small enough to fit in my hand and I didn't have to move it to find the scar. Last night I was laying there in bed kinda probing the pooch/apron to see if it seemed any firmer or smaller.
  • Toumani
    Toumani Posts: 78 Member
    Options

This is actually one of the funniest posts I've read on MFP. Thank you, good sir.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options

Yeah it is and not a very flattering term. I learned it working for the Ministry of Transport from some guys who used a lot of colorful terms.
  • MsDover
    MsDover Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I lost mine.... only took a few minutes, too. Four pounds of excess skin disappeared when my plastic surgeon removed it!

Seriously though, do all you can to exercise it away, but not everyone's skin has the same degree of elasticity. I did all I could, but after three pregnancies and a weight loss of almost 70 pounds and after doing everything I could to make it go away I finally realized if I wanted it gone it would have to be removed. It's now 3 years later (I had the surgery 12/18/09) and I have never regretted it for a second!
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,636 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of women on here that have had kids and they were able to get a tight tummy after working at it for a bit.
  • naticksdonna
    naticksdonna Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Interesting post...I had never heard this term before but I have a friend who called it a "marsupial pouch" sans the young one, of course. Unfortunately, I have one and being the age I am - am thinking mine won't be going anywhere soon but I have noticed it diminishing more and more with weight loss so...we'll see. But certainly try working on it with exercise first.
  • skrakalaka
    skrakalaka Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Losing weight and exercise took care of mine, over time.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    LADIES!!! GET IT UNDER CONTROL NOW!!!! THINK WHEN YOUR OLDER AND GRAVITY TAKES OVER!!! RUNNNNNN!!!

Now I feel bad :( I thought you were a clown dude.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

This is what a gunt is

BWAHAHAHAHA!
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Genetics does play a big role..so some women can get rid of it...others cant..
  • Linli_Anne
    Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I didn't have a significant layer of skin/fat after the kids..but I have a "pooch" where it is noticeable that I have excess skin there from being stretched to the max (I've got loads of stretch marks too)

I'm currently on the 3rd day of the 2nd level of Jillian Michaels 30 day shred, and I have noticed a BIG difference in my pooch firmness. It is by no means gone, or perfect, but I know that with fuelling my body properly and strength training I will get it toned down in time.
  • weloveourboys
    weloveourboys Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    It really does depend on the elasticity of your skin, and also on how much weight you gained while you were pregnant. The more elastic your skin is, and the less weight you gained the easier it will be for your loose skin to tighten up again, and vice versa. Genetics play a big role here though, especially with skin elasticity.
  • RunMyOregonBunsOff
    RunMyOregonBunsOff Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I'm getting much closer. We'll see where the next 9 lbs take me.