Diabetes and Carbs

Options
Anybody have any advice on the ideal number of carb grams to consume in a day for Type 2 Diabetics?

Replies

• pg3ibew
    pg3ibew Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    No expert here. BUT..... I was 250 pounds and classified a type II diabetic. I refused to take any pills. I joined MFP. Lost 85 pounds. Went back to the doctor.

NO MORE TYPE II Diabetic.

My diary is open if you want to view it. I don't have any secrets. Just that I follow the MFP guide lines for Calories. JUST calories.

Not sure if this helps.

GOOD LUCK
  • Food4Fuel
    Food4Fuel Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    This could be dangerous advice, while lifestyle management is the most effective fix, type II diabetics have a insulin imbalance that if not corrected by prescribed medication can cause several more severe medical problems as well as stalling weight loss. However, if you manage your weight, in most cases you can overcome your illness.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Please discuss this with a registered dietician or other qualified healthcare professional, not unqualified people on a forum. Noe of us here know how advanced your diabetes is, what your results are, what medications you are on if any, if you are already experiencing damage to your heart or kidneys or if that is a way in the future.
  • amber1533
    amber1533 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Ok. my doctor once told me that it is 60g per meal (Breakfast/lunch dinner) and 15g for a snack. HOWEVER, it is vital that you talk to your dietician to figure out your specific needs. They can see what other things may be in play. For example my mother (also a type II diabetic) was told to lower hers to 45g per meal because she is older and disabled. So there may not be a magic "ideal" number. Make sure to talk to someone about this and not just take advice on here (mine or anyone else)
  • jostess
    jostess Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My doctor and dietician said that it is 30-45g per meal and then 0-15 g per snacks. I would definitely talk to your doctor.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    This topic is inappropriate for a simply internet forum.

People with health issues such as Diabetes are better off discussing nutritional issues with their doctor than they are strangers on the internet.

Number of carbs per day is not nearly as important ad number of carbs per meal per hour in relation to insulin levels and level of insulin resistance.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    This topic is inappropriate for a simply internet forum.

People with health issues such as Diabetes are better off discussing nutritional issues with their doctor than they are strangers on the internet.

Number of carbs per day is not nearly as important ad number of carbs per meal per hour in relation to insulin levels and level of insulin resistance.

As a internet doctor I agree
  • MGSR
    MGSR Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    My dad is a type 2 diabetic, he bought a blood sugar monitor and took it daily until his blood sugar stabalised. He found that if he went for a long walk the night before his blood sugar was a lot lower than if he had eaten the same but not exercised.

Don't do anythign without talking to your Doctor, but if they agree it might be a good idea to buy a monitor and use trial and error to find your perfect balance, most Doctors will only give you guidelines (which you should, of course, stick to!)
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Anybody have any advice on the ideal number of carb grams to consume in a day for Type 2 Diabetics?

Please discuss this with your Doctor!! :flowerforyou: