activities/sports that give you a streng training work out?

I want to get into strength training, but lifting weights for me is so dull. I can't find the motivation to do a work out well. I have several sets of work outs, but whenever I'm at the gym I just can't find a lot of motivation. I always complete them, but I fart around a lot, and wait a lot longer between sets than I should. I feel like I'm not getting much benefit.

I was wondering if there were any sports or activities that would give me the benefit of strength training. Tree/rock climbing, perhaps? Maybe some martial art?

I'm open to any suggestion.

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Rowing. Boxing. Tug of war. That's about the list. For most sports that I can think of, the strength training happens outside the of the actual sporting activities.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    How about Crossfit?

ETA: I thought lifting was boring when I used machines. Once I started using barbells and freeweights, no more boredom. Plus I dance/rockout between sets.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Weight lifting stopped being boring for me when I started to see the results of it.

It started getting exciting once I started Stronglifts and REALLY started challenging myself.

It was the same way with running. I hated it, until I started seeing improvement. And I loved it once I got good at it.

It was just a matter of pushing myself through my little-kid-in-Walmart-having-a-foot-stomping-princess-hissy-fit-because-I-didn't-want-to-do-it phase.
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Olympic lifting and powerlifting
  • NaurielR
    NaurielR Posts: 429 Member
    ETA: I thought lifting was boring when I used machines. Once I started using barbells and freeweights, no more boredom. Plus I dance/rockout between sets.
    I do mostly free weights and I agree they're better than a machine (anything is better than that awful pull-down machine), but I still find myself dreading each set.
    How about Crossfit?
    I'vee always wanted to try Crossfit, but its way too expensive for me. I think actually taking classes would be good motivation, but I just can't afford it.
    Weight lifting stopped being boring for me when I started to see the results of it.

It started getting exciting once I started Stronglifts and REALLY started challenging myself.

I've seen results (I've been lifting for about three months). They're not as drastic as I would have hoped for (though to be honest I think I had unreasonable dreams) but definitely results. I love the way my arms/shoulders look. But even that doesn't give me a whole lot of motivation.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Do you follow a specific program? Stronglifts, NROL, etc?
  • KBGirts
    KBGirts Posts: 882 Member
    I want to get into strength training, but lifting weights for me is so dull. I can't find the motivation to do a work out well. I have several sets of work outs, but whenever I'm at the gym I just can't find a lot of motivation. I always complete them, but I fart around a lot, and wait a lot longer between sets than I should. I feel like I'm not getting much benefit.

I was wondering if there were any sports or activities that would give me the benefit of strength training. Tree/rock climbing, perhaps? Maybe some martial art?

My legs have really developed since becoming a cyclist. It really works your thighs and butt to go uphill!
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Rock climbing
  • NaurielR
    NaurielR Posts: 429 Member
    Do you follow a specific program? Stronglifts, NROL, etc?
    No I don't. Someone recommended a website for me, and on it I found a work-out plan. I've been doing the three strength training exercises. I've only been doing what it says in the charts (not following the lesson plan and the changes it says I should make week to week) http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/the-super-toning-training-routine.html
  • hkry3250
    hkry3250 Posts: 140
    Instead of just doing the normal barbells, dumbells, etc. Why not use kettlebells, medicine balls, and even TRX?
  • I agree with the kettlebells, they're really fun workout. There are many videos online on some swing moves for beginners.
  • shrinkingislander
    shrinkingislander Posts: 315 Member
    Another vote for rowing, amazing workout. I've also discovered stand-up paddle boarding and it is quite the workout (arms, back and core),
  • Ral263
    Ral263 Posts: 318 Member
    Definitely another vote for rowing.
  • Coltsman4ever
    Coltsman4ever Posts: 602 Member

My legs have really developed since becoming a cyclist. It really works your thighs and butt to go uphill!

Absolutely 100% agree. Since I started cycling my legs are like rock and it's a great cardio workout too.
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    I've been doing P90X and that's really giving me some good definition in my arms. It has weightlifting but also some cardio and some yoga, an all-around awesome program.

I've also heard great things about NROL, but haven't tried it myself. Personally I started out just running and while that is awesome (and my legs look amazing) it wasn't changing my body like I wanted so I tried P90X and lost inches upon inches! Good luck!
  • iron_jj
    iron_jj Posts: 446 Member
    No other sports is going to get you the results a simple weightlifting pprogram does. Because they are 2 different things. :wink: If you don't like it, don't do it. Why force yourself to do something you don't enjoy? Just means you won't stick to it in the long run. But up to you, I'd recommend a program like SL 5x5 or NROFL to get started?
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    What about Chalean extreme.