Inquiring minds wanna know???

Options
It is a must stick to rule that you never go below 1200 cal. or you wil go into starvation mode, so my question is... if that is the case why is it required for Lap Band people to eat 800 cal.. Why can't anyone do this???

Replies

• rosalie_g
    Options
    I really don't think that lapband surgery is a good idea. My best friends sister was always heavy and she had the procedure done and she lost the weight but she doesn't look healthy. She looks like she's malnurished to be honest and she has huge bags under her eyes and her skin looks awful like grayish yellowish and pale. 800 cals a day just doesnt seem right.
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    It is a must stick to rule that you never go below 1200 cal. or you wil go into starvation mode, so my question is... if that is the case why is it required for Lap Band people to eat 800 cal.. Why can't anyone do this???

That is because "starvation mode" is a myth. There is no truth to it at all.
  • rosalie_g
    Options

That may be the case but everybody has a bmr and staying underneath that is not giving your body the proper nutrition it needs to maintain itself and you'll probably lose weight but I don't think you'll look very healthy or be very healthy
  • TwentyTen
    Options
    All I know is that I did not gain from eating too many calories. Most days for years I was below 1000 easy on a daily basis, sometimes less. I put on 50 lbs doing this over the course of several years.
  • kiffypooh
    kiffypooh Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    I don't know much Lap Band, but my friend had either that or something similar like that done. If she eats too much (at least shortly after she had it done) she would literally fill up and out it will come. Not really throw-up, but it would just fill her up.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    When you undergo that surgery, you're under medical care- which is necessary for extremely low calorie diets. A lot of patients have issues after weight loss surgery and suffer hair loss, weakness, and other health problems due to lack of nutrition. It's not all it's cracked up to be, and many of them don't have an easy go of it afterwards.
  • joonieB
    joonieB Posts: 101
    Options
    I don't know a ton about those lap bands but I have read a few articles about them stating that after a quick and dramatic weight loss for most of the people who have the surgery, most will inexplicably gain the weight back over time, even while eating less than 1000 calories per day. The one friend I know who has had the band (for 4 years) followed this exact pattern. I know, one person isn't exactly enough to base an opinion on, but there does seem to be some evidence that super low calorie diets cause some sort of weight gain backlash.
  • spritie
    spritie Posts: 167
    Options
    usually obese individuals (which are those who are able to get lap banding surgery) have increased risks during surgery. Therefore to minimise risk prior to the procedure (it also occurs for other surgerys for this population). They are placed on a medically supervised very low calorie diet VLCD of about 800kcal a day.

This is commonly very liquid/suppliment based such as optifast etc. these diets allow for quick substantial wieght loss to help minimise risks associated with being obese and having surgery.

They are of a short duration, medically prescribed and monitored and don't care if fat free mass is lost along with fat mass. Nutritionists are involved also both in the preperation and usually application of these VLCD as nutrient needs cannot be met at 800kcal.

thats why 1200 is set, it is difficult but possible to meet basic nutrient needs at this level, however it is not a good idea to maintain this deficit for a long time as malnutrition can occur.

I'm not sure about post recovery 800kcal diet for lap bandings, however that is the reason for pre surgery diet.
  • m0m2three
    Options
    Thanks all. Surgery is not for me & I for one belive that I have to figure this thing out & put in the work (changing me & my life style) or it won't matter if I get to my goal weight b/c I'll just put it back on, but I am just very curious about the rules & the different plans. I'm just trying to figure it all out.
  • BamaRose0107
    Options

Starvation Mode is not a myth its just become a phrase that has gotten thrown around to quick. If a person eats less than should for a long period of time, which is different different from person to person, your body can go into to starvation mode. It does not happen overnight or in a matter of days. 1200 is just a generalized number, but I think if you want to go below you should talk to a doctor or nutritionist. I ate much less than I should have at one time which was around 800 calories a day. I did this for a year. Because of that I damaged my metabolism and started getting physically and mentally sick. It took a long time for me to be able to increase my calorie intake to a healthy level for me without gaining weight. I did this with the help of a nutritionist who got me back to where I needed to be. As far as people who have had lapband: It is a big adjustment. My best friend had it in college and had alot of side effects including hairloss and vomiting if she ate a little to much. She was also being montitored by doctors because of the calorie restriction and had to take supplements to get the vitamins and nutrients she needed.
  • abbracadabra
    Options

Starvation Mode is not a myth its just become a phrase that has gotten thrown around to quick. If a person eats less than should for a long period of time, which is different different from person to person, your body can go into to starvation mode. It does not happen overnight or in a matter of days. 1200 is just a generalized number, but I think if you want to go below you should talk to a doctor or nutritionist. I ate much less than I should have at one time which was around 800 calories a day. I did this for a year. Because of that I damaged my metabolism and started getting physically and mentally sick. It took a long time for me to be able to increase my calorie intake to a healthy level for me without gaining weight. I did this with the help of a nutritionist who got me back to where I needed to be. As far as people who have had lapband: It is a big adjustment. My best friend had it in college and had alot of side effects including hairloss and vomiting if she ate a little to much. She was also being montitored by doctors because of the calorie restriction and had to take supplements to get the vitamins and nutrients she needed.

Most people who have Lap band are not recommended to eat 800cal/day or even less than 100cal/day. Starvation mode is real! Your bosy, at some point, will go into self-preservation mode to protect its vital functions. I felt this on my 5 day liquid preop diet of about 1200 calories. I also lost ONE POUND in this week, not some dramatic drop.

I follow an average of 1200 cal/day plan with some room for more if I've worked out a lot and need more fuel for my metabolism. Most professionals will tell you less than 100cal/day is not healthy and not sustainable for very long with or without surgery. As a sidenote, many bypass patients consume less than 1000cal/day in the first year or so post op just because their restriction is greater, but they always are required to take supplements to ensure good nutrition
  • fat_forever
    Options
    If you go to the "Lap-Band" brand of bands website, and read down to where it says "Risks", click on it and they tell what what you can expect. It says that they did a 3 year follow up study of 299 patients. Of these patients, "88% had adverse side effects"....so much so that 25% of them had the band removed. I mean, 88%??? That means that if you have this procedure, YOU WILL HAVE PROBLEMS!

Why would anyone have a procedure done to them if it had that high of a problem rate?
  • abbracadabra
    Options
    If you go to the "Lap-Band" brand of bands website, and read down to where it says "Risks", click on it and they tell what what you can expect. It says that they did a 3 year follow up study of 299 patients. Of these patients, "88% had adverse side effects"....so much so that 25% of them had the band removed. I mean, 88%??? That means that if you have this procedure, YOU WILL HAVE PROBLEMS!

Why would anyone have a procedure done to them if it had that high of a problem rate?

Adverse side effects can mean anything from reflux to nausea and vomiting, which are predominantly self induced states- eating too much/too fast or too tight bands (read: overfill of saline). It is major sugery! There is the potential for post op complications as well. Band slippage, erosion, and port issues are possible, but most of the time they are easily fixed through outpatient measures. Slippage can sometimes be resolved by unfilling the band. True erosion will require surgery, but most patients who get to this point have not followed their aftercare and diet modification. You have to read the research well to understand what "complications" and "adverse effects" mean, what the subject retention was over the 3 yrs, etc. Also, one small scale study of 299 patients is not enough to judge a procedure as unsafe. Furthermore, there have been newer, improved models of the band introduced since that study with much lower removal and erosion rates.

I am not going to say that the procedure has no risks, but it is safe and the majority of patients do not have these kinds of complications. Personally, I have not vomitted, been nauseous, or sick since my surgery and it has been almost 7 months. Occasionally I do get a little GERD, but it is only if I eat too fast. That kind of negative feedback is reinforcement to me to follow the rules.

For anyone who decides to have WLS, you need to find an experienced surgeon with a strong supportive behavior modification program. In addition, the individual must be prepared and driven to make these permanent lifestyle changes and commit to followup.

Having lapband and making my very personal decision to better my life were the best things I have ever done for myself.

So please do not say that everyone will have problems because they do not.
  • TateFTW
    TateFTW Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    I saw a show on MTV about someone who got a lap band. He lost like 170 lbs, and had the whole floppy skin thing going on. The only problem was, he never actually changed how he thought of food. He only ate less because he couldn't eat more. He thought he had grown stronger and asked his doctor to loosen the band slightly, then proceeded to head to a restaurant and binge on a fried meal followed by FIVE desserts, all washed down with 3 milk shakes. He kept saying that after the surgery he was never able to eat a "real meal". The problem wasn't in his stomach. It was in his head. What he thought was a "normal mean" and what his body actually needed were two VERY different things.

This is the problem with weight loss surgery, as well as the reason why so many fail to maintain weight loss. You have to change what food is in your life. It has to be fuel that your body needs to keep working, and little more. Once you take away the emotional signifigance of it, it's so much easier to make the right choices most of the time, with a little splurge here and there. Until that change takes place, the weight will never stay off. This is the reason we say it's a lifestyle change, not a diet.
  • abbracadabra
    Options
    This is the problem with weight loss surgery, as well as the reason why so many fail to maintain weight loss. You have to change what food is in your life. It has to be fuel that your body needs to keep working, and little more. Once you take away the emotional signifigance of it, it's so much easier to make the right choices most of the time, with a little splurge here and there. Until that change takes place, the weight will never stay off. This is the reason we say it's a lifestyle change, not a diet.

That is absolutely true. It's not just weight loss surgery, it applies to everyone. Learning that food= fuel is very hard. Unlearning deep rooted "truths" and behaviors can be the hardest part. Emotional eaters and food addicts need the most support, that's why counseling and things like OA are beneficial with or without surgery. People who go into surgery without making behavior modifications and getting food issues under control set themselves up to fail.

All ASBMS (American society of bariatric & metabolic surgery) accredited WLS hospitals/surgeons have support programs to work through behavior modification and clear patients through every step of the process including psych eval to identify those people who are emoptional eaters and food addicts.

Just my 2 cents
  • leanmass24
    leanmass24 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    On a side note. I never did understand why anyone would go through surgery to lose weight. You still have to be on a restrictive healthy diet no matter what you do. Why have the sugery if you are gonna go back to eating like you were before. Just get on a healthy diet and exercise plan and no sugery needed. It is alot less expensive, and heathier way to go. I do understand in some cases surgery makes sense. But if you arent too fat to walk, i personally wouldnt do the surgery.