Knees clicking during squats

Options
Does anyone else have this when working out? My knee joints make audible clicks and crunch noises when I go into squats and lunges. Sometimes my elbows and hips do too - I just reached over to pick up the phone and my elbow made a loud pop. I don't have any pain during or after this happens, and I've asked both my chiropractor and doctor about it and they didn't really have a solution for it, that I just have "tight joints".

I can live with it but it just sounds so horrible, like I'm damaging something :frown: Maybe I should take some sort of supplement? Suggestions?

Replies

• MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    My ankles were clicking like crazy today while I was working out. Don't bother me none.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    It's just fluid. No problem. Clicking noises aren't an issue. No pain most likely means that no problem
  • WDEvy
    WDEvy Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Every joint in my body does that... I`ll have my own soundtrack of snap, crackle and pop by the time I`m 50.
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    Google told me it's called Crepitus. I guess I'll just have to live with it, just hope it's not a precursor to arthritis as it runs in my family.
  • cyberiarob
    cyberiarob Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    My knees and ankles do that all the time, which started during high school football. I've never had any pain related to it, and it's been 16+ years, so I don't worry about it.
  • RobynLB
    RobynLB Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    My shoulders pop and click. I guess it"s normal?
  • juliaamilee
    juliaamilee Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Yes its called Crepitus. My husand cracks and pops with every bend and squat he always has. I dont think it is a precursor to arthritis. he doesnt seem to have any problems. We will be married for 20 years in may. no problems for him.
  • Kaathmandu
    Options
    Clicking is usually caused by tendons/ligaments slipping over bone with a snap. Over time, the more you use the joint in that particular way, the less it will happen.
    I did a judo class many years ago, all newbies - we had to drop to our knees and it sounded like gunfire with 60-odd knees going off! Over the weeks, the gunfire got less and less, down to only a couple of pops after a month or two.
    So don't worry about that one.
    Crunching, though, could be meniscus wear and tear issues. Make sure you warm up and get the synovial fluid (joint lubrication) flowing first.
    :-)
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I have an ankle that clicks ALL.THE.TIME. It sounds like I'm snapping a slingshot when I'm walking up stairs. My orthopedist said if it doesn't hurt it's fine.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Mine do sometimes.
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I can't usually hear it over the sound of Slayer blasting
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    I sound like a bowl of Rice Krispies. Always have. Since it doesn't hurt, I just treat it like I do when my car starts making funny noises and just turn the music up louder.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    Google told me it's called Crepitus. I guess I'll just have to live with it, just hope it's not a precursor to arthritis as it runs in my family.

While Google knows almost everything else in the world...diagnosing anything medical isn't what Google is good at. Go talk to a doctor if you're really concerned. It's really the only way to be sure you stay in good shape.
  • shannonshock13
    shannonshock13 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    ME! Although I do have some pretty bad pain that comes along with it at times. Went to the doctor and he said I need to strengthen my quads along with losing weight. My hips pop too when i lunge to the side, but that feels good lol.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Strangely I only notice it when I do body weight squats. Never heard it when I have 100+ pounds on my back. I'm going to have to listen tomorrow.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I never had any noise -- ever -- in any of my joints, until last year, when I tore my ACL and had it repaired. Now both my knees crackle. My orthopedic surgeon told me it is nothing to worry about, and that they do not even know for certain what causes it. Tendons over the joint ends? Maybe.
    Anyway, mine is getting somewhat better with more use, more squats, etc. Perhaps yours will too.
  • Celeigh12
    Celeigh12 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I just figured it was age...
  • Natihilator
    Options
    Clicking is usually caused by tendons/ligaments slipping over bone with a snap. Over time, the more you use the joint in that particular way, the less it will happen.
    I did a judo class many years ago, all newbies - we had to drop to our knees and it sounded like gunfire with 60-odd knees going off! Over the weeks, the gunfire got less and less, down to only a couple of pops after a month or two.
    So don't worry about that one.
    Crunching, though, could be meniscus wear and tear issues. Make sure you warm up and get the synovial fluid (joint lubrication) flowing first.
    :-)

Thanks! I will spend longer warming up
  • Natihilator
    Options

While Google knows almost everything else in the world...diagnosing anything medical isn't what Google is good at. Go talk to a doctor if you're really concerned. It's really the only way to be sure you stay in good shape.

I have talked to my doctor about it, as mentioned above. My doctor didn't tell me it was called Crepitus. Google - 1, Doctor - 0.

"Crepitus play /ˈkrɛpɪtəs/ is a medical term to describe the grating, crackling or popping sounds and sensations experienced under the skin and joints or a crackling sensation due to the presence of air in the subcutaneous tissue."

It's just a name for the sound, not a serious medical diagnosis :smile:
  • DiaryOfaThickFitWoman
    Options
    Does anyone else have this when working out? My knee joints make audible clicks and crunch noises when I go into squats and lunges. Sometimes my elbows and hips do too - I just reached over to pick up the phone and my elbow made a loud pop. I don't have any pain during or after this happens, and I've asked both my chiropractor and doctor about it and they didn't really have a solution for it, that I just have "tight joints".

I can live with it but it just sounds so horrible, like I'm damaging something :frown: Maybe I should take some sort of supplement? Suggestions?

This happens to me almost everytime I move. I didn't notice it until I became heavy and just associated it with heavy weight. Now that I'm reading this thread, maybe not weight associated. It doesn't hurt, but I don't like it, makes me real self conscious in a quite room :/