Planet Fitness

Replies

• Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    You should see if you can get three day passes to the gyms in your area and just try them out. I spent an obscene amount for my gym membership, but it was the gym I felt most comfortable at and knew I would go to, so it is money well spent.
    Just try them out and see where you are happiest. Do you want a pool? Classes? What are their hours and busy are they? Clean? Does any of that even matter to you? Those can all be deciding factors depending on what works best for you.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    If you want to start weights I would completely avoid PF. They don't have much that is heavy at all and if you really get into it, you will outgrow what they have to offer quickly.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Stop asking and start doing. While I would never personally set foot inside a PF unless I lost a bet, who cares where I want to go? If PF is convenient to you then go sign up. TODAY. It's only $20. With no long term commitment. Everyone has to start somewhere and for a complete beginner PF is as good as any of the other big box chains. Will it be good for you forever? Who gives a damn, go sign up.

Less talking, more doing.

Go sign up.
    Go to bodybuilding.com and look up a beginners program (that doesn't include deadlifts, because it's not allowed at PF).
    Go lift.
    Eat sensibly.
    Rest.
    Repeat.
    Profit.

This! There is power in doing. Avoid paralysis by analysis.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Stop asking and start doing. While I would never personally set foot inside a PF unless I lost a bet, who cares where I want to go? If PF is convenient to you then go sign up. TODAY. It's only $20. With no long term commitment. Everyone has to start somewhere and for a complete beginner PF is as good as any of the other big box chains. Will it be good for you forever? Who gives a damn, go sign up.

absolutely agree
    If you want to start weights I would completely avoid PF. They don't have much that is heavy at all and if you really get into it, you will outgrow what they have to offer quickly.

totally don't get this statement. Your telling me your putting the pin in the bottom plate on all the machines there and its too lite for you? 60 pound dumbell curls just dont cut it?

If you want to ***** that they don't have this or that bench and they don't have a squat rack, don't want you to do power lifts and what not, but theres certainly enought wieght there for me to do what i want (when the exercise is allowed lol) unless its dumbell bench or shrugs and maybe a handful of other exercieses
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    The same people that hate on PF in the forums whine when PF's target clientele clogs up their more 'serious' gyms. Different strokes for different folks. PF is PERFECT for people who are beginners, want lots of cardio equipment, trying to decide if they want a gym membership, or even are just equipment shopping to see what equipment they would like the most for their home gym.
  • rjcelmer
    rjcelmer Posts: 431 Member
    My local PF isn't the greatest but I need a 24h gym and it's the only one in the area. For $10 a month, I can't complain.
  • No_Finish_Line
    24 hrs is nice, but the only time i'd take advantage of it, the weekend, they are not open 24 hrs lol.
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    No deadlifts dumbells up to 75lb. Nah, not a real gym.

I do like the no smelly people rule though. Perfume does not belong in a gym.
  • fp64
    fp64 Posts: 128 Member
    I love the Fitness Planet. Absolutely zero complaints, been going 2-3 years.
  • RedHeadDevotchka
    RedHeadDevotchka Posts: 1,394 Member
    By my area i heard theres no dumbbells past 60, no grunting or dropping weights i guess that the "buzz thing", but my biggest issue is NO DEAD LIFTS AND NO BENCHING, as a guy who is serious about losing weight and putting muscle on i cant see why you would go there. I say its good only if you are not too serious and a good stepping stone before you go to Golds gym or Xsport. Not that you have to work your self up to those gyms.

That's why I would never join. I went in to look around the other day. When I was leaving the guy was like "so are you signing up?" I said, nah, you guys don't have a bench or bars for dead lifts, I need that." HIs reply verbatim was "We're a judgement free zone, for people who don't care about body building."

To me that says that if you are serious about lifting heavy with adequate equipment you should look elsewhere.
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    I would invest in some simple home equipment. This will do you just fine until you want to get real advanced.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    I go to planet fitness every weekday morning with my hubs. We even upgraded to the black card so I can use the gym when I travel for work or when we go to our vacation home in Florida. They keep the equipment in good working order, and they have a nice 30 min circuit set up.

Locker rooms are clean and showers are nice.

What else do you want to know?
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    60 pounds of free weights is NOT a lot, even for a woman. I lift more than that on almost every exercise. Do you have a LA Fitness around? That's what I use and they have a REAL collection of free weights, weight machines, cardio equipment, and unlimited classes for $30/month.
  • wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    Quality free-weights can get very expensive to buy at home. Just join a gym. YES the Y is EXPENSIVE!

I'm a current Black Card member. No complaints at all except the toolbags that stand around talking instead of lifting. $20/mo and my wife can come with me for FREE! Plus nearly 24/7 hours.

If you have a friend who is a member try going for free with them one day and see if you like it.

Someone had posted that they don't allow benching? That's incorrect. Most have 3 benches and Smith machines. True about the no barbell dead-lifting, but honestly are you wanting to be a power lifter? There are alternate dumbbell exercises that achieve the same work.

Some do only go to 60 on the dumbbells but mine goes to 80. I'm sure 'someday' I'll outgrow PF but that isn't gonna happen any time soon.

PF isn't perfect, but for a beginner you cannot beat the price and you WILL lose weight if you use the gym as part of your journey. It's not about the gym though it's about your plan. Find one or make one and just do it. I've lost 30 pounds in 9 weeks and it's not because of the gym I go to. The gym is just a tool I use to meet my goals.

PF gets a bad rap, but I'm not planning on competing so I have no need for slamming racks and dropping weights. ;-)
  • wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    60 pounds of free weights is NOT a lot, even for a woman. I lift more than that on almost every exercise. Do you have a LA Fitness around? That's what I use and they have a REAL collection of free weights, weight machines, cardio equipment, and unlimited classes for $30/month.

There's a ton of free weights at PF... the DUMBBELLS only go to 60-85, but there's plates all around. What they need is pre-weighted barbells, some have them some don't.
  • No_Finish_Line

what dumbell lifts are you doing that 60 lbs is not enough?

My PF has dumb bells up to 75 lbs. I've been to many gyms and i've only seen a handful of rather large men routinely use anything higher then that for any lift other then bench press or shrugs.
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    PF is fine for many people. But a deadlift is a staple of almost every lifting program. It's not about powerlifting, it is the single most effective lift.
  • No_Finish_Line
    bottom line - if dead lifts, squats, cleans are your thing... and you have another option, don't bother with PF.

otherwise, it might very well be exactly what you want.
  • RedHeadDevotchka
    RedHeadDevotchka Posts: 1,394 Member
    PF is fine for many people. But a deadlift is a staple of almost every lifting program. It's not about powerlifting, it is the single most effective lift.

This times 10!
  • No_Finish_Line

agree that any lift that envoles that many muscle groups is going to give you more bang for your buck, and everyone can benefit from them. Up until recently you could get away with doing them at the PF by me, then they removed the extra barbells and when down to one and only one bench press. so there is one and only one barbell in the place lol.

yea its pathetic, but its that or drive 30 mins in the opposite direction after work. nobodies going to stop you from doing any of these lifts on the smith machine as far as i know.... but i hate the smith machine lol.

Its not perfect but i make do. I get my real work out at home anyway