tall girls and leg press

Options
Is it harder for tall girls to leg press. I have the weight set at 90 lbs and its really hard for me and I have the seat pushed all the way back and I see shorter girls about the same size as me lifting over twice as much with no problem. Any other tall girls have this problem

Replies

• BonnieandClyde29
    BonnieandClyde29 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    i was at one point doing 400lbs a long time ago, and i'm about 5'10", you have to build yourself up to it!
  • bombedpop
    bombedpop Posts: 2,185 Member
    Options
    Short people can lift more generally - the taller/longer limbed you are, the more gravity you have to defy/further your muscle has to move.. If that makes sense. I was getting irritated by it as well until I figured it out.

Take a look at the world class mega lifters, they tend to be short.
  • weird_me2
    weird_me2 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'10" and just today I did 190 pretty easily. I have done a lot of walking and hill climbing, though.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Of course it will be a bit harder for you due to leverage differences but it's not exactly night and day. Push with your heels.

Secondly, why are you even doing (or worrying about) leg press at all - pointless exercise. Do squats instead, much better workout. I'd only recommend leg press to someone who is too weak to do a bodyweight squat yet (usually the elderly for example).
  • Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    I am 5'11 and i put six 45 pound plates on...thats 270 plus whatever the leg press is.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Switch to squats. Similar motion, way more bang for your buck.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    Short people can lift more generally - the taller/longer limbed you are, the more gravity you have to defy/further your muscle has to move.. If that makes sense. I was getting irritated by it as well until I figured it out.

Take a look at the world class mega lifters, they tend to be short.

Gravity is constant

And most of the strongest men in the World are from Iceland and the Eastern block, most are over 6' tall.
  • Sincere24
    Sincere24 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Switch to squats. Similar motion, way more bang for your buck.

^^ This, and deadlifts...one of the best all around compound move, works just about everything
  • musicalboats
    Options
    I was under the impression that as a general statement, everyone can leg press atleast their own body weight - you can walk and jump. Perhaps I have the wrong impression on this? Maybe have some one check out your form. I am not way tall, 5'6" and can do around 200 (which isn't even that great, but fifty pound more than I weigh...)
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Why is everyone hating on the leg press so hard? It was a vital piece of equipment for my leg development, both for strength and for size.

For the OP, you didn't define what a tall girl is, but don't kid yourself, you aren't so tall that you can't use the machine properly. For many people, both on squats and legs presses, lack of flexibility keep them from properly doing full reps. Try to work on both your hamstring and hip flexibility. Then find the right seat setting for your body. I prefer the seat low, but I've worked with people the same height as me that prefer it higher. Experiment.

Lastly, just do it. Do whatever you can do and don't worry about what others can do. Put as much weight on there as you can, and try to increase it each other week. Ultimately, it doesn't matter matter one whit to me what you can lift today. Let's talk about what you're gonna lift next week. And the week after that. And next month. Come next summer, the short chick is gonna ask how come its easier to for tall girls to leg press
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Why wouldn't you just do squats?

I suggest you start with that and work your way up. I believe it likely has more to do with your strength and flexibility than your height. Also don't even care what others think or say they lift "Hey bro I was squatting 375 and the gym" *yank yank yank* even most men I see at the gym are squatting 135-235 max.
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'10, and I used to leg press well over 700 lbs. Height has little to do with your ability to do an exercise. It's all about strength/flexibility.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Im 5'10 and I agree- you do have to build up to it - i think us tall girls have an advantage. When I was 18 I maxed out at 750 on the leg press, the one that you lay back and push it almost straight up above you.

Sigh... I'll never forget that day.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'10, and I used to leg press well over 700 lbs. Height has little to do with your ability to do an exercise. It's all about strength/flexibility.

wha... im really actually in love with you right now, i didnt even see your post til I hit my reply.
  • aloranger7708
    aloranger7708 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'11 and can do 150.

Maybe you should move the seat forward a little?
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    I'm 5'8" and I used to do 450 but my knees and hips are so damaged at this point that I can only do 270 without risking dislocating something (#EDSproblems).
  • dare2love81
    dare2love81 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    I am 5'11 and i put six 45 pound plates on...thats 270 plus whatever the leg press is.

\m/
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Secondly, why are you even doing (or worrying about) leg press at all - pointless exercise.

1. Let's not get carried away
    2. She didn't say she wasn't squatting
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Secondly, why are you even doing (or worrying about) leg press at all - pointless exercise.

1. Let's not get carried away
    2. She didn't say she wasn't squatting

Stop the crazy talk Rock. Everyone on MFP knows that squats, deadlifts, and pendlay rows are the only legitimate exercises.
  • MMAQueen
    MMAQueen Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    i used to leg press 3 sets of 12 at 500lbs. i'm 5'10.

that being said, i pretty much blew my knees out doing that, so i wouldn't really recommend it. you might need to adjust the angles or something.