Five Fingers Barefoot Shoes - reviews?

Options
Looking to buy my first pair of running shoes and I'm strongly considering Barefoot SeeYa shoes... Any reviews for current runners about running in these shoes?

Replies

• randilious
    Options
    I am new to running and my recommendation to you is to go to a running store and get fitted for shoes!!! Also don't push too hard at first!!! Running is hard on your joints, it takes time for your body to get used to what you are doing to it!! Start with short runs and increase your distance slowly!!! Just because you have the endurance to run 3 miles doesn't mean your body can handle that!!! Trust me injuries suck!!! so start slow and get fitted for shoes, it makes a difference!
  • meghannrenee
    meghannrenee Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    DO NOT buy vibrams online if you've never tried the exact ones you're buying on before. The sizing varies a little, and different models fit people differently. Vibrams are great for some people, many minimalist runners swear by them, but then other people literally can't wear them because they just don't fit their feet. It's highly individual.
    With that said - If you're going the minimalist route, do your research on the form and make sure you follow the recommended steps to slowly build up the strength in your feet and the flexibility in your calf. This isn't something you want to rush - it'll slow your progress.
  • macdiver
    macdiver Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I am new to running and my recommendation to you is to go to a running store and get fitted for shoes!!! Also don't push too hard at first!!! Running is hard on your joints, it takes time for your body to get used to what you are doing to it!! Start with short runs and increase your distance slowly!!! Just because you have the endurance to run 3 miles doesn't mean your body can handle that!!! Trust me injuries suck!!! so start slow and get fitted for shoes, it makes a difference!

How come when anyone asks about either barefoot running or minimum shoes the response is to go to a store that makes their money from selling shoes. Do not listen to this.

Do try on the shoes before you buy them. Some people have problem with the material between the toes causing blisters. For these people a more traditional toe box on a minimum shoe like the merrell trail glove fits better.

Do start slow and build milage. I started at 1/8th of a mile. My current longest barefoot (skin to ground) run is a full marathon.

More information about these shoes from people who use them can be found at The Barfoot Running Society forum.

Good luck
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    Personally, I love them (I wear VFF KSOs). The first time I put them on, I ran twice as far as I had been running. It was so much easier to run for me--no knee pain! Best running shoes I've ever owned.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    How come when anyone asks about either barefoot running or minimum shoes the response is to go to a store that makes their money from selling shoes. Do not listen to this.

The store that I go to is staffed with folks that are runners, that will do a gait analysis, and recommend the best shoe for the runner. Because of how I move, I needed shoes with motion control. It has made a difference, night and day, with my running... and how my legs/joints/feet feel afterwards.

Of course, I bought shoes that I THOUGHT would've been good for me first.. and now wish I had gone to the store first. Not a foot locker, not a store that pushed a particular brand, or one that recommends the most expensive shoe.. just the one that worked for ME.
  • sammniamii
    sammniamii Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I have been wearing VFF's for a year, but I wear them 24/7. (I am wearing some in my profile picure - Men's Classics) I do run in them, but as I know I have issues w/ my feet (I've broken my foot tripping over carpet) I did get fitted with normal running shoes. But I do sometimes run in mine (or even pure barefeet).

BUT.... as long as you take your time and CORRECTLY break in VFF's, they are wonderful shoes. But... don't just slip them on and try to go on a 4 mile run. YOU WILL HURT and never want to wear them again.

If you wear normal shoes, Vibrams take a bit of "relearning" how to walk/run without hurting yourself. And as another said, DON'T buy online until you either try a pair in stores or the online shop has a GREAT return policy. They can be tricky to size correctly. Also... make sure to stick with Main stream stores - there are ALOT of knock-off Vibrams out there. Check out (birthday shoes . com) - they often list sales & valid sites to purchase them from.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options

Do try on the shoes before you buy them. Some people have problem with the material between the toes causing blisters. For these people a more traditional toe box on a minimum shoe like the merrell trail glove fits better.

Do start slow and build milage. I started at 1/8th of a mile. My current longest barefoot (skin to ground) run is a full marathon.

More information about these shoes from people who use them can be found at The Barfoot Running Society forum.

Good luck

^^ this.

I am fortunate to have 1. A beach nearby with firm sand when the tide is out, where I can run completely barefoot and 2) a smooth paved promenade about a mile long where I have been able to work on my running gait and slowly build up the thickness of my soles against blisters. Slow and steady is the best plan.

I only use minimalist shoes for places like woodland paths where I may step onto gravel, branches, holly etc - obviously too rugged for most BF runners.

It's alright to say, go get fitted at a running shoe shop, but they are going to sell you a heel-cushioned shoe where the running style is completely different to barefoot running. BF running is mid to front strike, whereas cushioned heel shoes dictate heel striking. I know which one I prefer for myself.

Barefoot running, once you get your stride and the right ground underfoot, becomes meditative and you become aware of yourself, how you are and the environment around you - you did head for a nice place to run didn't you? You forget about running aches, if you had any and just become "in the moment".

I recommend it - good miles!
  • marathon_mama
    marathon_mama Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    barefoot shoes are for lightweight runners
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Check out birthdayshoes.com for a site run by fans.