Fitbit?

MaryleeUSA
MaryleeUSA Posts: 25 Member
edited September 20 in Fitness and Exercise
Anyone ever tried using the fitbit? If so.....Recommend?

Here is a link with info:

http://www.fitbit.com/

Replies

• jaycee76
    jaycee76 Posts: 325 Member
    OMG ! That looks fab!! Please answer someone who has tried it!
  • savvystephy
    savvystephy Posts: 4,151 Member
    My friend on here, Heidi, has it. She just got it a week ago maybe less. She really enjoys it so far.
  • HeidiRodzen
    HeidiRodzen Posts: 455 Member
    Hi! I've had it now for maybe 5 days. I love it. It is quite accurate, depending on the activity you're doing. The sleeping information is very neat. It's a great little tool for learning about yourself from a distance. Any specific questions let me know!
  • MaryleeUSA
    OK thanks! I ordered it. Just wanted to see if anyone had used it and looks like it does what it says. I'll keep you posted.
  • MaryleeUSA
    Heidi: How do you wear it when you sleep? Is it comfortalbe?
  • Chiny
    Chiny Posts: 321
    I've been reading up on this device for a long time, read some reviews in the beginning where there were "bugs" in the system and they were going to fix that. I'm glad to see those who have purchased them are happy so far.
  • lvfunandfit
    lvfunandfit Posts: 654 Member
    I looked up the FAQs and to track calories burned, you have to log your exercises/fitness activities correct? Does this mean that you also have to wear a HRM as well as the FIT BIT?
  • Chiny
    Chiny Posts: 321
    I looked up the FAQs and to track calories burned, you have to log your exercises/fitness activities correct? Does this mean that you also have to wear a HRM as well as the FIT BIT?

My understanding is that it works just like the HRM and you would not have to wear both
  • lvfunandfit
    lvfunandfit Posts: 654 Member

My understanding is that it works just like the HRM and you would not have to wear both

"Calories burned is calculated by measuring your BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) based off your personal information and adding and calories detected from activities. "

Thanks. It calculates by the BMR, height, weight, etc.... so it's an estimate like using the info on exercise equipment (but a HRM is an estimate also).
  • ebgbjo
    ebgbjo Posts: 821 Member
    Marylee- Are you still using the FitBit?
  • ameliafaith
    ameliafaith Posts: 55 Member
    I just got mine this week too. i love it thus far. a great tool.
  • HMKan
    HMKan Posts: 472 Member
    Mine has been delivered to my building - I'm just waiting for my mailroom to bring it to me. I'm super stoked.

Also, I understand you can have a fitbit account online (which is sort of moot since I understand MFP is better) without having a fitbit, if anyone is wanting to check out the site before purchasing (I haven't set up an account yet myself).
  • HMKan
    HMKan Posts: 472 Member
    False alarm. It was my vitatops being delivered not my fitbit. Appreciate the above posts, its helpful to know this thing works. I bought it because my HRM was grossly over-estimating my calories burned.
  • I've had the fitbit for abt 2 months now and I love it.
    You can set your stride and it can tell the difference between running/walking. You can hit 'start/stop' when you do and activity (like running/walking/elliptical/ea active, etc) and it will register on your activities page...you can monitor your food vs. calories burned. it monitors your sleep (which is really kinda cool!) though the wrist band that it comes with really sucks-- I use a modified sock instead lol.
    I wear mine where you would wear a pedometer-- on my hip attached to my pants and it's very nonobtrusive. Alot of women wear it attached to their bra.
    You can peek at it through the day to see steps, calories burned, and how big (or little) your flower is.
    It wirelessly syncs to the base station when you walk by it or are within 15 feet of it and only needs to be charged about every 5 days or so (I once went 7 without charging but have never tried to go longer because I hit the little button a lot!)

I'm on maintenance so not using it for weight loss, but I haven't gained any weight using it, nor lost and I'm eating exactly what it says I'm burning in order to maintain my weight. At first I thought it was too high, but as I haven't gained anything I guess it's right on the money =). You can use a 'trainer' on the website to set your fitness and nutrition goals (how many calories you want to aim to burn per day, how many calories you want to eat per day, how many steps you want to take per day, etc)

It's pretty awesome!

Let me know if you have any questions.
  • I looked up the FAQs and to track calories burned, you have to log your exercises/fitness activities correct? Does this mean that you also have to wear a HRM as well as the FIT BIT?

You don't have to log your exercises- the fitbit will do this for you without you doing anything unless you WANT to see it in your activity log, then you do have to hit the 'start/stop' button at the beginning and end of activity. It will then show up when you sync (again you don't have to manually log anything) Fitbit just creates a 'time stamp' for you.

There are some exceptions--
    Weightlifting/strength training- Fitbit doesn't do good at this. You should manually enter this and it will override the fitbit calories burned and put in what you really burned for that time period.
    Exercise bike. While some people have had luck putting the fitbit on their sock or near their shoe, I say just manually enter it and override the fitbit data.
    Elliptical with resistance-- Fitbit is great and right on the money with no resistance and little resistance, but with resistance it's way off. Manually enter it!
    Certain types of Yoga.

*edited to add- you can create a 'time stamp' in fitbit without hitting the start/stop by using the website after you sync also- by just adding the times you were doing the activity and what it was. It will 'zoom in' on that part of the day and show how many calories you burned.
    It's under "Log Activity" "activity record" and TYPE the name of what you were doing, enter the times and any notes and it will zoom to that time.
This discussion has been closed.