Lent Starts. Need a little help with my Friday Menu . . .?

Options
Wow. I can't believe it's that time of the year. I'm a devout Catholic and I can't say this is my favorite time of year. No meat on Fridays? That doesn't leave me with much . . . I'm very picky on fish and stuff, and I eat a TON of salad, but I am willing to open up to new options (instead of pizza and mac n cheese, etc . . . ).

I would like to try tuna. Is that good for you?
I have had crab legs, not horrible, something I could stomach for a few Friday nights.

Any ideas to help out a picky eater?

Replies

• SammiAnne11
    SammiAnne11 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    You can try fish tacos, basically use a fish you like in place of beef/chicken. Yummy!

How about soup on Fridays? You could make a different batch on each Friday to try!
    Good luck!
  • hoamai
    hoamai Posts: 76
    Options
    Well, salmon is good and good for you. I bought some falafel to have on Ash Wednesday and I was thinking of making some lentil soup - other bean dishes are also great (e.g., make a vegetarian chili) or vegetarian quesildilia with peppers, onions, mushrooms, cheese - whatever you like just not the meat).
    I'm giving up wine and coffee again this year for lent.
    Good luck, chao
  • snorker88
    snorker88 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    How about vegetarian lasagne?

I make up a sauce using tomatoes, onions, peppers, mushrooms as a base, then adding in chunkier veg like courgettes, aubergines, broccoli, cauliflower, green beans etc. I usually grate some carrot in to make the sauce a bit thicker too- then season. Sometimes I add a hot chilli pepper for a bit of a kick.

The its the same principle layering pasta and sauce as normal lasagne. I top it with white sauce and but with low fat cheese or just grated parmesan.

I'm from the UK by the way, and I think you have different names for some of the veg I mentioned above!! Sorry!
  • THuffers
    Options

I make up a sauce using tomatoes, onions, peppers, mushrooms as a base, then adding in chunkier veg like courgettes, aubergines, broccoli, cauliflower, green beans etc. I usually grate some carrot in to make the sauce a bit thicker too- then season. Sometimes I add a hot chilli pepper for a bit of a kick.

The its the same principle layering pasta and sauce as normal lasagne. I top it with white sauce and but with low fat cheese or just grated parmesan.

I'm from the UK by the way, and I think you have different names for some of the veg I mentioned above!! Sorry!

For those who don't know, courgettes = zucchini and aubergines = eggplant. :-D
  • kobrie17
    kobrie17 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    For Dinner:

If you like goat cheese try Goat Cheese Stuffed Tomatoes:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Goat-Cheese-Stuffed-Tomatoes/Detail.aspx

or Pasta with sauce(or butter if thats your thing) and some sauteed vegetables

a quick yummy dinner is Kraft "whole grain" macaroni and cheese, add some broccoli or peas

you could load up a baked potato with black beans (a must for protein and fiber) guacamole, cheese, salsa, lil cheese

For Lunch:

a salad with canned tuna (white meat chunk in the bag not the can works best)
    craisins
    walnuts
    blue cheese

canned soup--campbells select harvest has lots of yummy vegetarian flavors, or you could even have clam chowder

a quesadilla on a whole wheat tortilla with black beans, diced red/green pepper, "southwestern style corn"--i make this all the time on my forman grill. if you have all the toppings pre chopped, or drained its really quick, and just get it crispy-separate it from the salsa and sour cream on the side and reheat it at work and it wont be too soggy.

this is a great opportunity to work more veggies into your diet and try to make them the base
    of your meal, and make up all the space that meat would usually fill. i think you'll feel alot better if you eat enough.
  • pmjsmom
    pmjsmom Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options

Courettes=zucchini, aubergines=eggplant.:smile:

Oh, and last night we had tilapia tacos. They were good! I just seasoned them, put them in the oven for 20 minutes or so and them put them on warmed whole wheat tortillas along with veggies, salsa, etc. You should try them!
  • kristinlough
    kristinlough Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    I LOVE using portobellos as meat, and we eat a ton of beans (look for black bean taco recipes ... but you'll do much better on sodium if you do the long-time prep of dry beans instead of canned beans). My husband and I were basically vegetarians for the first month, and we're slowly adding in some meat.

Tuna is great, I love it with some (just a smidge) of mayo with LOTS of chopped up celery. I eat it with some reduced fat Wheat Thins and find that there's plenty of flavor.

And don't forget, if you want to do pizza, just make a veggie pizza at home! I LOVE my Italian Herb flat bread with pizza sauce and low fat or fat free cheese with whatever veggies I can add (okay, and sometimes about 1/3 a serving of turkey pepperoni).

Good luck!!
  • farmgirlh
    Options
    Fish is good for you. As for the tuna I put mine on the grill and add a lemon slice to the top. I also do the same with halibut.

If you are looking into fish tacos then tiliapia is great for that plus inexpensive too. I also make a lot of shrimp fajitas. I just omit all but 1 teaspoon of oil so they are good for you too.

Good luck!.............I am giving up chocolate this year.
  • Ashia1317
    Options
    Wow! Just goes to show how closed minded I can be . . . these are great! Thank you so much! I really hate HATE to give up meat, but I think a lot of these ideas will help get me through this season (and it's only one day a week).

Again, thank you so much!
  • supercool111
    Options
    Grilled tuna steak and salad is amazing. You could just eat a regular meat dish but use quorn instead of meat...
  • tikimatt
    Options
    Smart and Final has flash frozen wild Ahi Tuna in 2 lb. boxes of 4oz packaging. Half the price of fresh. This has become one of my favorites. Gently cook taking care not to over cook. Ahi is red and a red to pink hue is ideal. I'm a fan of sushi and the quality of this tuna is comparable.
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    great ideas!

also, fried egg sandwiches (over-easy egg on toast with a smidge of mayo, slice of cheese and pickles).
    black bean burritos.
    cheese and tomato panini.
    baked mac and cheese casserole with veggies.
    chili rellenos with rice.
    veggie lo mein.
    spagetti squash with butter, salt and pepper, and parmesan.
    wheat pita pizzas with alfredo, tomatos and feta.
    red beans and rice.
    french onion soup.
    cheese enchiladas made with cottage cheese and ricota filling.
    egg bake.
    breakfast for dinner (we call it brinner).
    spanikopita with tzaziki sauce.
    eggplant parmesan.
  • Ashia1317
    Options
    I'm telling you! Where would I be with out all of you?

These are all awesome ideas! I can't wait to go grocery shopping!
  • snorker88
    snorker88 Posts: 179 Member
    Options

Courettes=zucchini, aubergines=eggplant.:smile:

Thanks for the translation!! :laugh:
  • lilshorde56
    Options
    lentil soup or cabbage soup!!!
  • StrengthInPain
    StrengthInPain Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I was just thinking about the same thing... I'm also having trouble figuring out what to give up... I don't want to give up chocolate because I allow myself to have some low-fat chocolate pudding and oreo 100cal packs every once in a while to keep the cravings away. I haven't drank much soda, maybe a small diet soda every once in a while if I am bored with my usual iced tea or vitamin water. I can't think of anything right now.

I'm the same, worried that I'm going to end up eating pizza and pasta like the rest of my Italian family. It will just take even more planning on my part than I already do. I just planned my Wednesday night meal - Shrimp Marinara :)
  • JBRENTLINGER
    Options
    Hello my Catholic Sister! I am making marinated tilapia for my family on Friday. Tilapia is one fish that tastes amazing, easy to cook, and quite good for you.

Ingredients

* 4 (4 ounce) fillets tilapia
    * 4 cloves crushed garlic
    * 3 tablespoons olive oil
    * 1 onion, chopped
    * 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Directions

1. Rub the fish fillets with the crushed garlic, then place them in a shallow, non-reactive dish. Spoon the olive oil over the fish until they are coated. Place the onion on top of the fish. Cover the fish and refrigerate overnight to allow the fish to soak in the marinade.
    2. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
    3. If baking the fish, transfer it to a 9x13 inch baking dish along with the olive oil, garlic, and onion. Sprinkle the fish with the cayenne or white pepper. If you are grilling the fish, wrap the fish and oil, garlic, onion, and pepper in aluminum foil.
    4. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees F) for 30 minutes.