Thinking of taking a break

Options
From counting cals that is. I am stressing myself out. I have been doing great staying in my limits since Jan 7, exercising almost everyday, eating most exercise cals, cut out alcohol, and I I lose 1/2 lb one day, up 1 lb the next. My inches aren't moving either.

I know it says I lost 10 lbs, but really it is more like 4. Six pounds was water weight and lost in the first week of Jan. Its so frustrating. I have been monitoring my macro's, weighing both morn and night to see if certain foods are causing weight gain or weight loss, I wear a HRM when I exercise, try to hit 60-70 % MHR, and exercise 5-6 times a week either doing intervals on the treadmill, or recumbant bike and weight lifting. Heck, I ran 2 miles for the fist time ever last week! I am running now, when before when Iost weight yrs ago all I did was walk and lost lbs.

And MFP says I should be losing 1 lb per week, and I am doing what it says, but its not happening!! I am more like 1/4 lb a week, if that.

I feel great physically, my clothes fit a little better, but without seeing the scale moving IN ONE DIRECTION, or inches on the tape measure, I am losing motivation. I know I should be happy, and I am a tad, its just hard to not fixate on the scale and numbers.

Replies

• gym_rat
    Options
    What is your sodium intake like?

I know it can be frustrating. Hell, I ran 11 miles on Saturday and the next day woke up and saw a gain on the scale! Weight goes up and down. Just try to be consistent. That's all you can really do.
  • itsbella
    itsbella Posts: 1,101
    Options
    I'm with ya orso99! It's been NOT happening for me too! The one thing is that as long as I'm feeling good and exercise and feeling healthy I'm doing something great for me. Do you have the weight to lose? How much are you trying to lose? Experts say that when you get real close to goal it gets harder and you're losing...slowly but you are!
  • FabulousFifty
    FabulousFifty Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    You have established some very healthy habits. Your body is doing what it should. Hang in there and just know that it takes longer to lose weight as we get a little older. 10lbs is fantastic. Hey, focus on the way your clothes fit and how you feel. You are gaining endurance as well. That shows you are getting healthier and stronger. Keep on keeping on! Just think if you keep it up another 10 or so will be gone by spring. New clothes here we come!
    LET IT RIP!
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    I feel great physically, my clothes fit a little better, but without seeing the scale moving IN ONE DIRECTION, or inches on the tape measure, I am losing motivation. I know I should be happy, and I am a tad, its just hard to not fixate on the scale and numbers.

Your stressing yourself out too much. (Stress does not help according to Biggest Loser shows).

Stop weighing yourself twice a day - Your weight will go up and down throughout the day depending on how much food you eat and hwo much water you drank. Every 2 cups of water is approx 1lb.

As Gym_rat asked, what's your sodium? and the rest of your Numbers.
    Daily Caloric intake, Exercise calories burned?
    Some people just need some tweaking, perhaps remove foods that have hidden sodium etc.

EDIT: I just noticed - You only have 5lbs left to lose - Those last 10 lbs can come off at 1/4lb per week as your noticing - You will not lose 1lb per week if you only have 5lbs to lose - Search - losing last 10 lbs on here, lots of people have been in the same situation.
  • urso99
    urso99 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    My sodium is averaging 2400, some days its 1600-1800, and a couple times its spiked at 2700.

I am 189 lb today, (last week 186) So I have a good 20-30 to lose, but I don't expect that. I just would like to see SOMETHING for all the work and effort I'm putting into it.
  • LuRox
    LuRox Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I agree with what everyone is saying here, check your sodium, check all your numbers. And also look at your overall number of what you need to lose in total.

If you can tell a difference in your clothes then you are making progress. I've been on a plateau for 3 years it seems but in reality, I've lost 41 lbs and put back on 8 of those, but I'm down 33 lbs total an average of 11 lbs lost per year...not too shabby, still have a lot to go, but there have been times I wanted to quit, but I didn't I just tweaked my numbers...really watched what I ate to jumpstart my loss again, and it worked.

Sometimes a break is ok, but only for a few days.
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    Any alcohol in the last week?
  • mvl1014
    mvl1014 Posts: 531
    Options
    You definitely should take a break!

But not of counting calories, you should take a break from weighing yourself. You're doing what you should be in terms of exercise and eating.

Weighing in once a day may hold some people accountable, but for others it really just becomes discouraging. Weigh once a week and don't change a thing.

And as for your sodium, you're doing well. It's exactly where it should be at.
  • urso99
    Options
    Yesterday of course!! (Red wine).

I am just getting too obsessed about it all! GRR
  • SammiAnne11
    SammiAnne11 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    If you need a break, take a break. Give yourself a week, and see how you feel at the end of it....

I do think you need a break from weighing yourself. If you are planning on staying healthy, do you plan on weighing yourself on a daily basis? Or just living your life, making great choices and exercising to keep healthy, knowing when you slip up, to get back on track....
    It's all perspective.
    I hope you can give yourself a break, and stay on track.
    Best of luck honey!
  • ngm1692
    Options
    so, you've been on the site since 1/7. it's now 2/15. that's about 5 weeks. you've lost 4 pounds (not counting the 6 pounds you say is water weight).

that's GOOD!

giving up after 5 weeks isn't going to help you get to your goals. if you feel you need a break, take one, but continue to be aware of your intake (trust me, it'll go south fast without the accountability) and exercise.

the scale is only one measurement of improvement (and not a very good one at that, it doesn't tell you how much is fat, how much is lean muscle, how much food or water is still in your system from the day before). you say you're feeling great physically, you've run 2 miles. i bet your resting heart rate is lower, i bet blood pressure and other stats like that are improving. it's not all about the number on the scale (even though that's what we're meant to believe).

losing weight takes time, it takes diligence. think about your blog. i'd bet that being consistently frugal didn't just happen overnight. for most people, it takes time and concentration to pay off that debt and work on becoming financially responsible. it's a matter of changing habits. what new habits have you developed while logging your food? is it something that's healthy that you can take with you for the rest of your life? unfortunately, our bodies aren't machines. we can do everything "perfectly" and it'll still throw us for a loop. but improved fitness and health is going to be more important in the long run.

you can't let the scale (or measurements, either, they're better, but still can be off a little if you don't measure in the exact same place with the exact same tension), make or break your determination.
  • melbhall
    melbhall Posts: 519
    Options
    Take a break if you are really really stressed out by all of this, but I don't think a break will really help. You just need to keep a positive attitude. You have lost 10lbs, I have never in my life lost 10lbs and can't wait to see that, even if it is just water weight. A loss is a loss. You seem to be making great choices and this is a lifestyle change so you can't expect everything to fall in place overnight. I weighed this morning and have gained weight and I've worked harder this week to lose weight than ever before in my whole life. I'm not letting that get me down. I feel great and my husband keeps telling me I look different. So I don't care what the scale says, my measure of success is not defined by it. I really hope you don't give up. Friend me if you want, I will be your cheerleader!
  • aerobicgirl
    aerobicgirl Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I FEEL YOU THATS THE WAY I FEEL RIGHT NOW SO I AM NOT GONNA WEIGHT MYSELF FOR A COUPLE OF WEEKS/ I AM CURRRENTLY DOING INSANITY. AND THE FUNNY THING IS THAT THE WARM-UP ALONE COULDN'T DO THE WHOLE THING AND NOW I CAN ACTUALLY TAKE ONE MAY TWO BREAKS TO I MAY NOT BE LOSING RIGHT NOW BUT I AM GETTING HEALTHIER. IM STRESSING ALSO AND WELL ITS NOT GOOD THATS HOW I GAIN WEIGHT BUT TAKE ONE IF YOU NEED ONE/
  • aerobicgirl
    aerobicgirl Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I FEEL YOU THATS THE WAY I FEEL RIGHT NOW SO I AM NOT GONNA WEIGHT MYSELF FOR A COUPLE OF WEEKS/ I AM CURRRENTLY DOING INSANITY. AND THE FUNNY THING IS THAT THE WARM-UP ALONE COULDN'T DO THE WHOLE THING AND NOW I CAN ACTUALLY TAKE ONE MAY TWO BREAKS TO I MAY NOT BE LOSING RIGHT NOW BUT I AM GETTING HEALTHIER. IM STRESSING ALSO AND WELL ITS NOT GOOD THATS HOW I GAIN WEIGHT BUT TAKE ONE IF YOU NEED ONE/
  • Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    Options
    What exactly does taking a break mean??

Does it mean you will not only stop counting calories and exercising but you intend to eat like a pig too? Or does it just mean you will continue to try to eat healthier, decent portion sizes but are just going to quit logging in your food diary for a few days or a week, and stop weighing and measuring yourself regularly?

My thought is that if you intend to become totally lazy and eat like a pig, it doesn't really matter how hard you work to lose the weight because as soon as you reach your goal and go back to what you see as "normal living" in your eating and exercise habits - you will gain it all back (and maybe more) anyway.

Nothing is wrong with the second option - staying away from the scale and not logging for a bit - then climbing back on track when you're feeling better again. I think that we all do that sometimes! '

But.... as I'm sure you've heard/read a billion times, this is a lifestyle change - not a "diet" :smile:
  • schultm
    Options
    I feel exactly as you do. I bought Oreo's yesterday because I am just tired of trying and feeling that the scale is not moving. I am doing at least 2 hours a night at the gym and am feeling that in my back. I have improved the intensity of the workouts and see a difference in how I feel, but I am not seeing the scale move. I am hungry and tired. ( I brouyght the Oreo's to work, and put in the kitchen so i did not eat them all, but...)
  • HonestOmnivore
    HonestOmnivore Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    I hate to state the obvious - but if you've only been working out for the past couple of months are building muscle as if you're strength training. Your muscles weigh more (per volume) so you're not seeing much change in your weight.

If you really want to lose pounds - and it's not as important to you to be in shape, back off the exercise to 3 or 4 30 minutes aerobic workouts per week and restrict your calories to your base amount.

I'm not recommending that but if you really want to see the scale move that will do it. Your body will break down some of your new muscle and use it for energy.

Otherwise just know you're doing the right thing now, and that in a few months the weight loss will up and in the mean time you're treating your body well!

I've got tons to lose but I've set goals to get the first 50 lbs off at about 1.5 lbs/week, the next 20 at 1lb/week and the last ten I assume will be around 1 or 2 pounds per month.

Good luck!
  • Magenta15
    Magenta15 Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    PUT THE SCALE AWAY!:noway:

that's where you're stressing yourself, our bodies fluxuate daily, 2,3 even 4 pounds based on what we've been eating and drinking! yes I weigh daily but it doesn't stress me like it seems to do you. and WHY would you weigh at the end of your day? OF COURSE you are going to weigh more after eating and drinking all day,

do yourself a favour and use a tape measure every few weeks or once a month, and only weigh 1 ever week or even every 2. if you feel the need to

:smile:
  • urso99
    Options
    No, no, I've come to far to let it all go down the drain!! I have a pretty good routine of meals, and there isn't any other "bad" food in my house, so i think I will just take this week off logging and hopefully weighing in! I will still exercise, and eat accordingly though.

My biggest fear is not weighing in for a week, and stepping on the scale to see I've GAINED weight! Thats why I monitor it every morn and night, to adjust my cals/foods in case I DO gain!!

There is just something in my head that tells me if I DO NOT exercise hard, I will not lose. And if I do take a day off, I feel like a failure. Plus, I am in such a good habit OF exercising , that i'm afraid if I get off my reg schedule of everyday workouts, I will get lazy again and fall into that funk I was in for yrs!
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    It takes a good 6 to 8 weeks for your body to adjust to working out and eating right. That's why most people quit after a month because they're not seeing any changes. I know it's frustrating but you just have to keep at it. Know that you are making a healthier you and that is what is MOST important. Who gives a *kitten* what the scale says.