How did I lose weight after overeating?

I have been trying to stick to 1370 calories a day. I also exercise almost daily. And I have been losing weight pretty regularly. Last week was very hard and I overate plus didn't exercies as much. But some how I managed to still lose weight. How can this be? I wonder if once in a while my body needs something different and to be shocked. Can anyone explain this to me at all?

Replies

• rapat
    rapat Posts: 108 Member
    Some explanations:

You overate, but still ate at a deficit

You happened to weigh yourself in a dehydrated state

Not exercising may have given your body a chance to repair itself (build muscle) which resulted in some fat loss

Likely a combination of the three
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Some explanations:

Not exercising may have given your body a chance to repair itself (build muscle) which resulted in some fat loss

yep. all of this!
  • leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,797 Member
    i love those days !! sometimes our bodies need to be shaken up a bit (i personally think) dont question it, go with it :happy:
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    just google what a re-feed day is in the bodybuilding world, and ul have ur answer.
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,923 Member
    Weight loss isn't linear. What you need yesterday won't show up on the scale today, it will show up in 4-5 days. So next weigh in you may gain, even if you were really good this week. But trust me, every one has slip ups, it's life. Keep on keeping on and you'll lose the weight - forever. Not just for now. Adopts healthy eating/workout habits and you'll have no problem keeping it off.
  • bernicewest
    bernicewest Posts: 6 Member
    I do that sometimes too! I think some of the difference is we can't eat as much as we used to so even when we overeat its not nearly as bad as it seems?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,422 MFP Moderator
    Some explanations:

This..

It also might be an indication that your body needs more calories. 1370 calories is fine if you are not active or exercising, but if you do, then your caloric requirements are greater. So if you were averaging 1700 calories on those days, maybe you want to try eating 1700 calories daily or at least 1370 net.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    just google what a re-feed day is in the bodybuilding world, and ul have ur answer.

This was my first thought as well. MANY people have experienced some weight loss after a "cheat day" that does not seem to make sense.

A couple videos I just watched this weekend on where this is mentioned.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsSzl4ecluk
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmWodFl2NLE
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/815934-layne-norton-on-metabolic-damage

Not saying this is what happened only that it is a possibility or combination of the other suggestions above.